“Good location and value, small rooms”
Review of Hotel deLuxe

Hotel deLuxe
Ranked #7 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed October 23, 2013

I was here for 5 nights. Fortunately I was busy at a conference during the days so I didn't need to spend much time in the room. It was quite small and would have been difficult to do any work.

Check-in was fast and friendly and the lobby was small with some seating and movie posters all around. There's a bar and restaurant off the lobby - I had an appetizer and beer in the bar one night. That would rate 3 stars - slow service, got order wrong, food not hot, beer not cold.

Like many old, renovated downtown hotels the rooms are a tight squeeze but had some nice, elegant touches. The bathroom had a shower stall but no tub, and the small sink didn't have much room to spread out toiletries. There were cracks and stains in the fixtures suggesting they were older and getting worn out. Towels were fine and I ended up not using housekeeping - you can hang a tag on the door if you want to reuse towels and don't need the bed made. The shampoo and soaps lasted me all week so no worries. Supposedly good for the environment which seems to be important in Portland.

The bed and linens were comfortable and the flat-screen TV worked fine. I didn't have to use heat or air because the outdoor temperatures were mild. There are quite a few optional services if you happen to be there for R&R instead of business. The hotel website details all of these, although I couldn't wrap my mind around some of them ("pet spiritual menu"?).

This hotel is several blocks away from the bustling part of downtown which makes it quieter - less traffic. Seemed to be a safe area walking back and forth even at night. I would stay here again even though there are quite a few similar choices in the area.

Room Tip: If you want a tub or more space you'll have to request certain rooms and price levels.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Tim B, General Manager at Hotel deLuxe, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2013

We appreciate you taking the time to write such a positive review. Our staff takes great pride in the service they offer and will be thrilled to know they were able to have an impact. I truly hope that should your travels bring you back through Portland, you will consider returning to us.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,867)

Reviewed October 20, 2013

I cannot stress enough how good this hotel is. The place is beautifully styled, decorated and maintained. The staff were extremely polite and helpful and always made us feel welcome and like nothing was too much trouble. The food in the restaurant was the best we ate in our whole vacation and was excellent value. If you choose to stay here you really won't regret it and will remember it forever.

Room Tip: Choose a king room on the front of the hotel if you can, the view is great.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

The quality of our service and the amenities we provide is of paramount importance to us, and your kind words are extremely gratifying. I appreciate you taking the time to share your kind words. We very much look forward to hosting you the next time you visit the Rose City.

Reviewed October 19, 2013

I stayed for 2 nights as part of a week's stay in Portland and the Coast. I actually called to see if my room was ready so I could drop off my stuff. This was at 9am. They told me my room was ready. Check in was easy and the staff were friendly. FYI: they give you a Portland map upon check in. Take it! It was the most accurate, most helpful map I had on my trip. Let me say it again, the staff were extremely friendly. My room was a small queen, and I loved it. The décor was great. The room keys are scenes from black and white movies. I had one from Roman Holiday. I mentioned the room keys as I checked out and they gave them to me, all four. I loved it. There is also a restaurant and bar in the hotel. I went to the restaurant, and it was wonderful. I would stay here again if I had the chance. Don't miss the great Hollywood photographs in the hallways. The bathroom did not have a hair dryer, which I didn't miss, but it had a nice roomy tub. The location is great, it's within short walking distance of the excellent public transit, so it is a great place from which to explore Portland.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Tim B, General Manager at Hotel deLuxe, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2013

Your review is very kind and much appreciated. I am glad to hear you enjoyed the property. Our staff here at the Hotel deLuxe strives to give five star level service to all our guests and I am delighted to know the map was very helpful. It sounds like you left with a very memorable experience, and again I thank you for taking the time to share that with us. Hopefully, we will see you next time you decide to visit Portland.

Reviewed October 18, 2013

We stayed at Hotel deLuxe for 2 nights to celebrate a birthday. It was a surprise as my friend booked it and waited to tell me the name of the hotel. I am a movie aficionado and was enchanted by the hotel motif. The old Hollywood movies shine though every step of the hotel. The lobby has a giant screen of movie stars from the Golden era of Hollywood showing. I spent a few hours sipping a cocktail in the lobby watching the slide show of Stars. The hotel has a screening room where old movies are presented. Alas, the next film, Hitchcock’s Rear Window, was not playing until Tuesday.

The room was spotless and all modern amenities are found in the room. All rooms are located on floors with different movie theme. We had a corner room on the 3rd floor and it was quiet despite being located near the city public transportation. The room was rather small but the charm made up for it.

The hotel is located within walking distance of the Pearl district where you will find numerous restaurants and night spots. This is a prefect spot for a week end or business trip.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Tim B, General Manager at Hotel deLuxe, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write such a gracious review. It sounds like you had a great birthday getaway and I am so pleased to know you enjoyed the property. Hopefully we will see you again on your next trip up to Portland.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

We stayed here for the first of a four night Portland Visit.
Check in was quick- the king room was spotless, a bit small, and the linens were nice.
Loved the bath products! We ordered Salt and Straw Almond Brittle with Salted Ganache when we got back that evening- and also ordered from the pillow menu! Andy at the front desk was super helpful with recommending places to eat (Screen Door) and places to try beer as well. Doormen were super friendly and keen to recommend brews to try. Wasn't wowed at all by the microbrew package that we added for $20...But I'm a hard core IPA gal, so it's cool.
Location is interesting. Would return.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank cubabound2008
Tim B, General Manager at Hotel deLuxe, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write up such a nice review. We are very excited about our partnership with Salt & Straw, and I am glad you were able to take advantage of it. Our Front Desk and Door staff take pride in their extensive knowledge of the local area and enjoy sharing it with our guests. We look forward to welcoming you back next time you visit Portland.

Reviewed October 10, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Hotel deLuxe in Portland for four nights in September. We had never even heard of this hotel but it came up on our Hotwire search. We were a little nervous because we have never stayed in this part of downtown, but the place was amazing and it was walking distance to most everywhere we wanted to go.
There is a doorman which we really appreciated because the weather had turned cold and was raining on occasion. Also, they were great at hailing cabs for us. The entrance has stairs just inside the door but they are beautiful and there's also an elevator if needed.
The lobby is stunning, a hip, retro feeling like you were in the 1920s Hollywood. The front desk was fully staffed and very friendly, typical of Portland. The room was spacious, well-decorated, clean and fully stocked. There was plenty of hot water in the bathroom was beautiful. The bed was nice and firm, which is how we like our mattresses.
We checked out the hotel bar which is a true throwback from 1920s Hollywood like the Brown Derby. Mike the bartender is truly a craftsman when it comes to cocktails.
Overall this was an amazing hotel and we will definitely consider staying here again :-)

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank BYDESIGNMaui
Tim B, General Manager at Hotel deLuxe, responded to this reviewResponded October 13, 2013

Thank you so much for your kind review. I am so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay so much and were able to take advantage of all the area has to offer. We strive to make our guests feel as comfortable as possible while they stay with us, and I am glad to hear our staff and property were able to leave such a memorable impression on you. Thank you again for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back next time you are in Portland.

Reviewed October 9, 2013

My friend and I got a deal on a travel site for this hotel. In fact, a group of us booked a few rooms at this hotel. This hotel is near downtown, so you can definitely walk around or take the local transit.

The lobby is beautiful and there is an old Hollywood glamour/theme throughout the hotel. We found our room to be quite small and reminiscent of European accommodations. If you were looking to have a family or more than 2-3 people to stay in the room, it would be quite a feat to do so comfortably. Try not to get a corner room because I'd thought the middle rooms were a little spacier and the bathrooms were nicer (we had a narrow stand up shower instead of a tub like our other friends) Be careful in these narrow showers especially if you drop something because our other friends gashed his head into the shower handle.

The service and concierge were very nice to help us out. We've definitely appreciated the valet service for our car and were always prompt in taking care of us. There's a bar and restaurant in the hotel that were both nice spot to cap off some nights.

Overall, it was a nice experience for the deal we got. I don't think any of us would've stayed there if it weren't for an online deal. I recommend shopping around before booking!

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for staying with us at the Hotel deLuxe and taking the time to write such a nice review. I am glad to hear you enjoyed both the property and the service. Hopefully we will see you back here the next time you visit.