“Charming”
Review of Hotel deLuxe

Hotel deLuxe
Ranked #3 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed October 18, 2013

We stayed at Hotel deLuxe for 2 nights to celebrate a birthday. It was a surprise as my friend booked it and waited to tell me the name of the hotel. I am a movie aficionado and was enchanted by the hotel motif. The old Hollywood movies shine though every step of the hotel. The lobby has a giant screen of movie stars from the Golden era of Hollywood showing. I spent a few hours sipping a cocktail in the lobby watching the slide show of Stars. The hotel has a screening room where old movies are presented. Alas, the next film, Hitchcock’s Rear Window, was not playing until Tuesday.

The room was spotless and all modern amenities are found in the room. All rooms are located on floors with different movie theme. We had a corner room on the 3rd floor and it was quiet despite being located near the city public transportation. The room was rather small but the charm made up for it.

The hotel is located within walking distance of the Pearl district where you will find numerous restaurants and night spots. This is a prefect spot for a week end or business trip.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Tim B, General Manager at Hotel deLuxe, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write such a gracious review. It sounds like you had a great birthday getaway and I am so pleased to know you enjoyed the property. Hopefully we will see you again on your next trip up to Portland.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

We stayed here for the first of a four night Portland Visit.
Check in was quick- the king room was spotless, a bit small, and the linens were nice.
Loved the bath products! We ordered Salt and Straw Almond Brittle with Salted Ganache when we got back that evening- and also ordered from the pillow menu! Andy at the front desk was super helpful with recommending places to eat (Screen Door) and places to try beer as well. Doormen were super friendly and keen to recommend brews to try. Wasn't wowed at all by the microbrew package that we added for $20...But I'm a hard core IPA gal, so it's cool.
Location is interesting. Would return.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank cubabound2008
Tim B, General Manager at Hotel deLuxe, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write up such a nice review. We are very excited about our partnership with Salt & Straw, and I am glad you were able to take advantage of it. Our Front Desk and Door staff take pride in their extensive knowledge of the local area and enjoy sharing it with our guests. We look forward to welcoming you back next time you visit Portland.

Reviewed October 10, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Hotel deLuxe in Portland for four nights in September. We had never even heard of this hotel but it came up on our Hotwire search. We were a little nervous because we have never stayed in this part of downtown, but the place was amazing and it was walking distance to most everywhere we wanted to go.
There is a doorman which we really appreciated because the weather had turned cold and was raining on occasion. Also, they were great at hailing cabs for us. The entrance has stairs just inside the door but they are beautiful and there's also an elevator if needed.
The lobby is stunning, a hip, retro feeling like you were in the 1920s Hollywood. The front desk was fully staffed and very friendly, typical of Portland. The room was spacious, well-decorated, clean and fully stocked. There was plenty of hot water in the bathroom was beautiful. The bed was nice and firm, which is how we like our mattresses.
We checked out the hotel bar which is a true throwback from 1920s Hollywood like the Brown Derby. Mike the bartender is truly a craftsman when it comes to cocktails.
Overall this was an amazing hotel and we will definitely consider staying here again :-)

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank BYDESIGNMaui
Tim B, General Manager at Hotel deLuxe, responded to this reviewResponded October 13, 2013

Thank you so much for your kind review. I am so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay so much and were able to take advantage of all the area has to offer. We strive to make our guests feel as comfortable as possible while they stay with us, and I am glad to hear our staff and property were able to leave such a memorable impression on you. Thank you again for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back next time you are in Portland.

Reviewed October 9, 2013

My friend and I got a deal on a travel site for this hotel. In fact, a group of us booked a few rooms at this hotel. This hotel is near downtown, so you can definitely walk around or take the local transit.

The lobby is beautiful and there is an old Hollywood glamour/theme throughout the hotel. We found our room to be quite small and reminiscent of European accommodations. If you were looking to have a family or more than 2-3 people to stay in the room, it would be quite a feat to do so comfortably. Try not to get a corner room because I'd thought the middle rooms were a little spacier and the bathrooms were nicer (we had a narrow stand up shower instead of a tub like our other friends) Be careful in these narrow showers especially if you drop something because our other friends gashed his head into the shower handle.

The service and concierge were very nice to help us out. We've definitely appreciated the valet service for our car and were always prompt in taking care of us. There's a bar and restaurant in the hotel that were both nice spot to cap off some nights.

Overall, it was a nice experience for the deal we got. I don't think any of us would've stayed there if it weren't for an online deal. I recommend shopping around before booking!

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for staying with us at the Hotel deLuxe and taking the time to write such a nice review. I am glad to hear you enjoyed both the property and the service. Hopefully we will see you back here the next time you visit.

Reviewed October 9, 2013

huge rooms and every detail perfect doesn't really describe this place, but i stayed for two nights in a small, beautiful and very efficient little 8th floor, rear room (queen) that was quiet, very comfortable and with a rate that couldn't be beat for the quality of hotel and services. okay... the room service tray was a little spare (i've never had to call back down to ask for mustard or a salt shaker for my burger and fries until now, in thousands of hotel nights), and the bathroom was tiny, but i'm sure this was one of their smaller rooms. the decor is very nice and stylish, the bed, sumptuous. the "old hollywood" theme plays out softly, without clubbing you to death with cuteness, and the driftwood bar is a small but wonderful place to share a bottle of wine or champagne-based cocktail or two. valet parking is good if pricey for basic outdoor parking, and the people who work here are charming, helpful and always seem to be surprised when tipped for their good service. i'll stay here again and again since it's also the closest hotel of quality to my son's home, and will look forward to my next stay! note: i WILL pop for a larger room next time, but this trip was solo, so the room was fine.

Room Tip: light rail runs on the named streets (as opposed to numbered streets) north and south of the hotel...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo

Thank you for your review. I am very pleased to hear you had a wonderful stay. We hope to see you again the next time you are in Portland.

Reviewed October 7, 2013

Our second visit. We enjoyed our room this first time, but this room was larger. We don't care if big or small room though-- each was very pleasant, immaculately clean, and well appointed. We enjoy the Hollywood era charm of the hotel, the photos of movie stars, the quaint bar, the furniture, and styling of the rooms and the color schemes. The staff is very helpful, and we enjoyed using the valet service. We will be returning in January 2014. Also the food in the restaurant is very good -- vegan and gluten free options. I enjoyed that all ages seem to enjoy this hotel. We are seniors and we saw others like us plus lots of young folks enjoying themselves.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write such a glowing review. Your positive feedback is most valuable to us and we appreciate it very much. I am glad to hear you were able to experience Gracie's our restaurant and enjoyed it as well. Our staff will be delighted when I pass on your kind words and we all look forward to welcoming you back this coming January.

Reviewed October 6, 2013

My wife and I spent an evening at the Hotel deLuxe to celebrate her birthday. I based my decision to book the room on the many gleaming reviews I read online. I can honestly say that the Hotel deLuxe delivered, above and beyond our expectations.

When booking I left a note stating that the stay was for a birthday. Upon arrival we were immediately greeted by friendly staff and upgraded to what definitely seemed like one of the best rooms available (our stay was on a Monday). We were a bit early, so we decided to explore downtown until our room was ready. The hotel is in a great location, putting you within walking distance of all downtown, Pearl Dist. & Goose Hollow locations. We received a call when our room was ready.

Upon return we were again immediately assisted by friendly staff catering to our needs. We enjoyed a drink at Gracie's (the hotel restaurant) before returning to our room. For the rest of the evening we enjoyed an amazing view of downtown Portland in our cozy, neat and well laid out King Feature room.

Another great perk of this location is that the Max rail is located right outside, giving you quick and easy access to larger Portland.

Our stay was memorable and we will definitely be back!

Room Tip: Not all rooms provide a great view. The extra money for a higher room is definitely worth it if you...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

I am so pleased to hear we were able to help make your wife's birthday a memorable one. It sounds like it was truly a great experience and I thank you for taking the time to write up such an outstanding review.