“Service IS (almost) everything”
Review of Hotel deLuxe

Hotel deLuxe
Ranked #4 of 140 Hotels in Portland
Huntersville, North Carolina
“Service IS (almost) everything”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Everyone at this hotel is nice, helpful and friendly. We stayed here while visiting our son who lives on SW 17th nearby. It was a great location. Unless you despise walking, everything in NW and SW Portland is within walking distance here. We walked over to the Pearl, down to the waterfront, up along 23rd. We drove to the Japanese Gardens from there. It's 2 miles and a bit up hill.

The rooms were immaculate, the A/C was great, it was unusually hot while we were there, fan ran all the time which made for great sleeping in the comfortable bed with the pillows of your choice. Room is typical city hotel with a small bathroom but we didn't really hang out there much. :) Loved the blackout curtains for great sleeping in and the breakfast in Gracie was very nice and relaxing.

Again, service is what makes this hotel stand out.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Vin0Vin0
Tim B, General Manager at Hotel deLuxe, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Thank you for the wonderful review. It is very gratifiying to know how much you appreciated the service at Hotel deLuxe. We have a terrific staff that will do whatever it takes to make sure our guests are 100% satisfied. I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back when you next visit your son.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed July 6, 2013

My husband and I stayed here one night on our trip down to San Francisco. It was a beautiful hotel. The ambience and charm were lovely. The staff were also all very nice and helpful. The room was cozy but beautiful. I had the windows open at night to listen to the city. I would stay again - it was just perfect.

Room Tip: We were on the Hitchcock floor - and I happen to love Jimmy Stewart so it worked well for me!
Tim B, General Manager at Hotel deLuxe, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
I am glad to know you enjoyed our property as well as the service. We have a terrific staff. It is also great to know that you enjoyed the theme. Thank you for the feedback and we are happy you had a great time with us.
Kirkland, WA
Reviewed July 5, 2013

I stayed here while on a business trip on the recommendation of a friend. He didn't lead me wrong. It was one of the best stays I have had in Portland.

The service was fantastic, starting with the doorman. He was helpful and hustled to open the door and assist me with my bags. Every employee I encountered was smiling and cheerful.

I had dinner in Gracie's and enjoyed crab cakes as an appetizer and Jambalaya as my main course. The crab cakes could have been a meal by themselves. It was nicely presented.

I liked how convenient to light rail the hotel was. They have a 'pillow' menu, which is a fun touch. I opted for the luxurious feather pillow.

The rooms are typical size for a downtown hotel. I will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Tim B, General Manager at Hotel deLuxe, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
We could not be happier to know that you found our service, food and location to be exeptional. The staff will find it very rewarding to know their dedication to service made a difference. Thanks for taking time to let us know about your stay.
Vancouver, BC
Reviewed July 4, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is nice but in my view overrated.

GOOD: Friendly and pleasant staff, comfy beds, there's a safe in the room.

AVERAGE: Location. Close to downtown but by no means the best location. Cost is similar or higher than comparable hotels.

BAD: Tiny bathrooms. Our first room was also ridiculously small. I'm talking, 36 inches of clearance around the bed and that's it. The closet was so small the hangars don't even fit in with the doors closed (Room 223). It was also extremely noisy - the fridge and something else utility sounding from outside the room. We asked to be switched and chose to accept an upgrade for an extra $20/nt which got is into a very spacious room but the bathroom was still laughably small. Strangely the closet in that room was bigger than the bathroom.

Overall I'd say the hotel is just average but the staff was very friendly and helpful. You can get better rooms at the same price point in downtown Portland. Won't be staying again.

• Stayed July 2013
Tim B, General Manager at Hotel deLuxe, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Thank you for taking time to share your experince. I am glad to know you were pleased with the service our staff provided. Being a historic property, we do have a variety of different sizes of rooms. We hope you will choose to return - if you do, we will make certain you are 100% satisfied with the room we select for you. I am confident we can find a room that meets you needs.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 3, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for just one night in a King room. The hotel itself is really great looking, and the welcome from the staff was fab. The valet, check-in staff and everyone we encountered as we arrived were really friendly and helpful and we genuinely felt welcomed. The room was an okay size for a central hotel, the bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was very clean and well presented. We were situated right next to the elevators which initially worried me but I didn't hear anything our whole time at the hotel.
One of the highlights was going for a pre-dinner drink at the Drift Bar (the hotel's bar) and it was great! The cocktails were lovely and the atmosphere was perfect.
We really enjoyed our time in Portland and at the Hotel Deluxe, thank you!

Tim B, General Manager at Hotel deLuxe, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Thank you so much for taking time to share you experience with us. Our staff is always very pleased to receive such wonderful compliments. Your support and feedback inspires our staff to continue to provide excellence every day. We look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel deLuxe when you next visit Portland.
Seattle
Reviewed July 1, 2013

My husband and I just spent a delightful three nights at this charming boutique hotel. Since we are film buffs, we found the classic Hollywood motif enchanting. Enjoy a cocktail in the elegant lobby imagining you're waiting for Gary Grant and Katharine Hepburn to join you. Enter the dark enclave of the Driftwood Room for an assignation with Don Draper. Stroll into the Art Deco interior of Gracie's for dinner, lounging on the banquette in your best Rita Hayworth allure.
Or just be yourself, experiencing superb service, great food, walkable location, and welcoming guest rooms.

Tim B, General Manager at Hotel deLuxe, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
We are so glad to hear you were pleased with your stay at Hotel deLuxe and enjoyed our Classic Hollywood theme. We are also glad to hear you were pleased with our service. Your positive feedback is most valuable. Thank you for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed June 25, 2013

I would recommend staying at the Hotel deLuxe if you are staying in Portland. I love the location, my husband and I could walk everywhere in downtown Porltand. It's close to the rail service Portland offers. We stayed in a King Deluxe. The room itself was a little small, especially the bathroom. (Maybe TMI, but it's true) I'm 5'6" and the bathroom was so small my knees hit the bathtub every time I sat down on the toilet. But despite that, I have a very comfortable stay. The room offers many services (ice cream delivery, mini bar, snacks, etc.) but they were very expensive. One great aspect about this hotel was it's staff. I had lots of questions about what to do in the area and how best to travel and the front desk staff were awesome. They were always warm and accommodating - even after we checked out. They held our luggage until we picked it up at 10 pm (our flight left at midnight) so my husband and I could walk around Portland without hauling our suitcases. If I'm ever back in Portland, I would definitely stay here again (but maybe upgrade rooms).

Room Tip: Upgrade rooms.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Tim B, Manager at Hotel deLuxe, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind words! We are so glad to hear you and your husband were able to have an enjoyable stay with us, and will return to Hotel deLuxe when you next visit Portland. We strive to make our guests feel as comfortable as possible and are delighted to hear your every need was taken care of. We look forward to welcoming you back.