“Fantastic service”
Review of Hotel deLuxe

Hotel deLuxe
Ranked #7 of 146 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed July 5, 2013

I stayed here while on a business trip on the recommendation of a friend. He didn't lead me wrong. It was one of the best stays I have had in Portland.

The service was fantastic, starting with the doorman. He was helpful and hustled to open the door and assist me with my bags. Every employee I encountered was smiling and cheerful.

I had dinner in Gracie's and enjoyed crab cakes as an appetizer and Jambalaya as my main course. The crab cakes could have been a meal by themselves. It was nicely presented.

I liked how convenient to light rail the hotel was. They have a 'pillow' menu, which is a fun touch. I opted for the luxurious feather pillow.

The rooms are typical size for a downtown hotel. I will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Tim B, General Manager at Hotel deLuxe, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2013

We could not be happier to know that you found our service, food and location to be exeptional. The staff will find it very rewarding to know their dedication to service made a difference. Thanks for taking time to let us know about your stay.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,883)

Reviewed July 4, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is nice but in my view overrated.

GOOD: Friendly and pleasant staff, comfy beds, there's a safe in the room.

AVERAGE: Location. Close to downtown but by no means the best location. Cost is similar or higher than comparable hotels.

BAD: Tiny bathrooms. Our first room was also ridiculously small. I'm talking, 36 inches of clearance around the bed and that's it. The closet was so small the hangars don't even fit in with the doors closed (Room 223). It was also extremely noisy - the fridge and something else utility sounding from outside the room. We asked to be switched and chose to accept an upgrade for an extra $20/nt which got is into a very spacious room but the bathroom was still laughably small. Strangely the closet in that room was bigger than the bathroom.

Overall I'd say the hotel is just average but the staff was very friendly and helpful. You can get better rooms at the same price point in downtown Portland. Won't be staying again.

• Stayed: July 2013

Thank you for taking time to share your experince. I am glad to know you were pleased with the service our staff provided. Being a historic property, we do have a variety of different sizes of rooms. We hope you will choose to return - if you do, we will make certain you are 100% satisfied with the room we select for you. I am confident we can find a room that meets you needs.

Reviewed July 3, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for just one night in a King room. The hotel itself is really great looking, and the welcome from the staff was fab. The valet, check-in staff and everyone we encountered as we arrived were really friendly and helpful and we genuinely felt welcomed. The room was an okay size for a central hotel, the bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was very clean and well presented. We were situated right next to the elevators which initially worried me but I didn't hear anything our whole time at the hotel.
One of the highlights was going for a pre-dinner drink at the Drift Bar (the hotel's bar) and it was great! The cocktails were lovely and the atmosphere was perfect.
We really enjoyed our time in Portland and at the Hotel Deluxe, thank you!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for taking time to share you experience with us. Our staff is always very pleased to receive such wonderful compliments. Your support and feedback inspires our staff to continue to provide excellence every day. We look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel deLuxe when you next visit Portland.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

My husband and I just spent a delightful three nights at this charming boutique hotel. Since we are film buffs, we found the classic Hollywood motif enchanting. Enjoy a cocktail in the elegant lobby imagining you're waiting for Gary Grant and Katharine Hepburn to join you. Enter the dark enclave of the Driftwood Room for an assignation with Don Draper. Stroll into the Art Deco interior of Gracie's for dinner, lounging on the banquette in your best Rita Hayworth allure.
Or just be yourself, experiencing superb service, great food, walkable location, and welcoming guest rooms.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

We are so glad to hear you were pleased with your stay at Hotel deLuxe and enjoyed our Classic Hollywood theme. We are also glad to hear you were pleased with our service. Your positive feedback is most valuable. Thank you for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

I would recommend staying at the Hotel deLuxe if you are staying in Portland. I love the location, my husband and I could walk everywhere in downtown Porltand. It's close to the rail service Portland offers. We stayed in a King Deluxe. The room itself was a little small, especially the bathroom. (Maybe TMI, but it's true) I'm 5'6" and the bathroom was so small my knees hit the bathtub every time I sat down on the toilet. But despite that, I have a very comfortable stay. The room offers many services (ice cream delivery, mini bar, snacks, etc.) but they were very expensive. One great aspect about this hotel was it's staff. I had lots of questions about what to do in the area and how best to travel and the front desk staff were awesome. They were always warm and accommodating - even after we checked out. They held our luggage until we picked it up at 10 pm (our flight left at midnight) so my husband and I could walk around Portland without hauling our suitcases. If I'm ever back in Portland, I would definitely stay here again (but maybe upgrade rooms).

Room Tip: Upgrade rooms.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Tim B, Manager at Hotel deLuxe, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2013

Thank you so much for your kind words! We are so glad to hear you and your husband were able to have an enjoyable stay with us, and will return to Hotel deLuxe when you next visit Portland. We strive to make our guests feel as comfortable as possible and are delighted to hear your every need was taken care of. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

BEWARE! This hotel does not give you a printout of your bill. I for one was surprised to hear that our room was not at the quoted rate, but that they added $80 to our second night (even thought I have an email confirmation of $209 per night, because "that's the going rate".) All in all our room was about $500, but we were charged $720. This hotel is mismanaged and out of control so watch for extra hidden fees like a hawk! (even though after a few phone calls those charges have been refunded).

Honestly this wasn't all we were expecting. Even though I made our reservations through the Hotel, the front desk said they "didn't have a record/access to the credit card used to hold the room, and didn't know what package we had". I had to repeatedly remind the front desk clerk that we had bought a package, and that we needed our vouchers. Then we had to get a credit card authorization for the card used b/c I didn't have it physically on me (never a problem at any other hotel).

They really push that they are Pet Friendly and cater to your pets, but they really don't at all. Upon arrival we were supposed to receive a little welcome basket for our dog, but ended up having to request one and it was eh. A few cheap treats and a small shoe toy and a bed. They also advertised a doggie room service menu which we thought would be a kick, but weren't offered.

Our room, supposedly a "King Deluxe", was tiny. I would suggest those rooms for 1 person only. If there are 2 of you get a bigger room or 2 queens. I realize that this is a boutique hotel, and part of the charm is that it is old and historic, but there were a lot more negatives of the hotel than positives. For instance, no fans in the bathroom (a personal pet peeve when you can see the condensation and mold forming on the ceiling), and no microwave in the room. There was a mini-fridge but it was stocked with expensive things so we couldn't keep much in it.

The valet parking was nice (included in our package, otherwise parking is not ideal down there and it's really expensive), and the guys working were really friendly. The location is also great for walking.

Def wouldn't stay here again, there are a lot of other hotels downtown for around the same price.

Room Tip: Our room, supposedly a "King Deluxe", was tiny. I would suggest those rooms for 1 person o...
2  Thank 475jinp
Tim B, General Manager at Hotel deLuxe, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2013

Please accept my sincere apology for the difficulties you experienced. I appreciate your candid feedback and assure you that we will take the necessary steps to correct your concerns.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

My husband and I decided that since it was our honeymoon, we would pay a little more than usual and try out Hotel Deluxe based on the exceptional reviews. When we walked in we were very excited, the hotel lobby was gorgeous, and the decor was well thought out and unique. Once we got to our room however we were surprised with how small it was, and very disappointed to see that our window was just a few feet away from a large brick wall. Luckily, the hotel staff were kind enough to move us to a floor above with a better view, upon our request. In general the hotel was very nice and the staff were great, our main disappointment was simply that everything came at a premium cost. For a hotel that prides itself on making your stay perfect so much so that they have a button on their phone to push entitled: "make it so", it was a bit disappointing to see that absolutely nothing was complimentary. We quickly felt out of our element. It was still a great experience and the location was exceptional, we were just hoping for a little more for the price.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Tim B, General Manager at Hotel deLuxe, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2013

Thank you for choosing Hotel deLuxe for your very special occasion. It is nice to know you had a great experience and found the location exceptional. Your constructive feedback is also quite valuable. Thank you for taking time to share you thoughts.