“Great Experience on Latest Visit”
Review of Hotel deLuxe

Hotel deLuxe
Ranked #3 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed February 21, 2008

I had a mixed experience earlier this year at the DeLuxe and was invited personally by the General Manager to give the DeLuxe another shot. I am happy that I did: my recent visit was excellent all around: the Staff was efficient, courteous, and called me by name. My King room was perfect and had plenty of closet space, bathroom storage, and a comfy sofa. I highly recommend the larger room if it is your budget. The Hotel has a free Business Center with high speed if you don't want to pay for the Internet Access. because of the improvements I've seen, I recommend the DeLuxe without hesitation.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank greggariouspdx
There are newer reviews for Hotel deLuxe

Reviewed February 16, 2008

Excellent service: desk, bellmen, restaurants SO helpful, wanting to go out of the way to please with directions, extra amenities.
Decor: just fabulous - like being in a glamorous movie. The art deco attention to detail is fascinating - every lamp, curtain, etc.
Comfort: all the modern amenities one would want like thick towels and robes, super bedding, iron/board/hairdryer/coffee maker/refrigerator in room, plus extras like Ipod docking station, big flat screen TV, and "spiritual menu" of various religions' bibles to choose from.
Foodservice: the cocktail bar and restaurant are totally charming, high style, for business or pleasure meetings.
Negatives: in bad weather, the 10 blocks to restaurants in downtown is a bit of a haul and the parking downtown is terrible.
My bathroom was extremely small (had to roll up the shower curtain in order to stand in front of the sink) which was OK since I was alone but ask for a bigger one (like my colleague got) if you need it. I didn't check out the exercise facilities so no comment there.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed February 6, 2008

Stayed in standard room for a week on a business trip. Room was clean, but very small with a view of next door building. Expensive wireless internet was almost useless being very slow and dropping connection frequently.

Service was friendly and efficient. Hotel is also well located. Nice hotel if you are traveling alone and just want a place to spend the night.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed January 23, 2008

The property is located in the middle of downtown shopping, Pearl District & 23rd "Trendy Third" shopping District. If this is where you want to be and you love old revived detailed architecture, this is your place. Everybody, not just the building, is very charming and friendly. Whoever revived this property did a great job paying attention to its original glory!

Feel free to contact me at [-] on travels to Portland, Oregon

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank JerryLG
Reviewed January 5, 2008

We visited Portland for a rainy weekend and loved the hotel. Our dog was with us and received the red carpet treatment (he was provided with a comfy bed, treats, bowls and a dog menu for the yuppies!). The staff was very friendly and helpful with recommendations. The decor is amazing, everywhere, from the lobby to the hallways and especially the rooms. Very well appointed (and tight, but this is to be expected in the city, so let's call it cozy). The Driftwood Bar (in the lobby) was a great spot for a nightcap. We also found the hotel's location to be just right for walking to different areas of town (especially downtown and Nob Hill, which has lots of great restaurants).

The only downside we experienced was having our credit card charged before checkout (we did not intend to use the card we booked the room with for payment), but the staff was very helpful in fixing this problem.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank seattleschmeattle
Reviewed December 26, 2007

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Deluxe for a long weekend so we could soak up a bit of the Portland scene. The lobby is fun, as is the lobby bar.

After we checked in, we discovered that neither of our keys would unlock our room door. I went back to the front desk and they sent someone up to reset the lock. A few hours later, the same thing happened, and they sent up a different person to reset the lock. And it happened a third time. I'll confess that I was a bit frustrated, but the third time was the charm, and by way of apology, they sent up a complimentary bottle of wine.

The staff was very friendly and provided useful directions and information. I suppose that we were asking about things that aligned with their own interests (music spots, cafes, dive bars) may have helped, but I'm sure they were equally helpful to other guests.

Valet parking was included with the room, and it was super-fast and efficient, despite the fact that I mislaid my valet ticket.

My only quibbles with the hotel are minor - I hope my lock experience wasn't common, and the location is a bit out of the way and just outside of the fare-free zone for the light rail.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 19, 2007

We booked a room at the Hotel deLuxe after hearing great things about its decor and amenities, after its reincarnation from the (equally nice, but more affordable and less pretentious) old Portland relic Mallory Hotel. I was expecting greatness, and was greeted at the door by bellhops, who ended up taking our car to the valet parking garage. I would have preferred to save the $20+/night valet parking charge and found my own place to park, however. The front desk staff were nothing memorable, they checked us in, but weren't overly friendly. We got up to our room, and it was TINY -- which is to be expected from older downtown hotels, but with the price I paid for the room I expected a bit more space. The bathroom was equally small, with nearly no room to put toiletries, except for on top of the toilet tank. The bed was plush, and the iHome and flat panel TV were modern and new. It happened to be unseasonably cold and drizzly out though and the room was absolutely freezing. We tried adjusting the thermostat, to no avail, it just stayed at the same temperature our whole stay. I put on one of the robes provided in the room but it was thin and didn't ward off any chill. There was a well-stocked honor bar, but everything was pricey, including the bottle of water placed conspicuously in the room. Even the wireless Internet had a daily fee tacked on. I felt completely nickel-and-dimed by this place. We requested room service of some appetizers we ordered downstairs in the bar, and the staff was perfectly obliging and brought them up speedily. However, the customer service seemed to veer downhill from there. A few days after I checked out, I realized I had left my expensive digital camera charger plugged into an outlet in the room. I called the hotel, and was transferred to the extension of someone in "lost and found", where no one answered. This has happened each time I have tried calling them since. I live out of state, so it is not convenient for me to drop by the hotel to check, but I happened to be in the area a few months back, and stopped in to inquire, and was told by a front desk employee that they were too "busy" to check the lost and found (I was the only customer there). I asked when they would be able to, and they said I would have to try back the following Monday. Well, I was not in town for that long. Upon returning home, I e-mailed the hotel about my camera charger, hoping to get through to someone. It has been weeks since then and I have heard no reply, which I think is incredibly tacky and unprofessional.

In conclusion, I am disappointed with my experience at the Hotel deLuxe, as I had hoped it would be a great place I would want to return to again and again. I would have preferred less pretense and more value for my dollar, in addition to management and staff who actually cared. However, they seem to have proven to me over and over that they have little regard for their customers in general, nor their time or money, and that once your credit card has cleared, they have no further interest in you.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
6  Thank thecalamitygirl
Klaudio, General Manager at Hotel deLuxe, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2008

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback. I must admit I have been very surprised by your comments, as that is not very typical of our Hotel. I have spent days trying to determine who was assisting you and we could not find any records of your emails or voicemails in regards to missing item. We are committed to reply to all comments, good or bad and us not responding to your concerns was not intentional. Please contact me at your earliest convenience and I will personally assist you with the missing item. Our lost and found program is very detailed and I am sure that if your item was left behind at the deLuxe, we will find the record of it.
I also hope to have an opportunity to show you what this Hotel is all about. We offer various room types and over 40 suites and I am sure that we can book you in a room that will meet your expectations. Thank you again for posting your comments and I look forward to your response.

Klaudio Simic