“Nice but not that nice”

Kimpton Hotel Vintage Portland
Ranked #8 of 144 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed July 16, 2007

We picked this hotel and room because of the two person hottub on the balcony. We just came in from the Seattle to Portland bike ride.
Kimpton brags that their hotels are unique, and this one certainly is unique. The room was about $180 and frankly it was very ugly, a red and gold motif.
The bed was too hard. The TV was around the corner from the bed, but the hot tub was very nice.
The best departments were valet parking and Issac the young man who took our bags upstairs.
The attached restaurant is snobby and VERY EXPENSIVE. If you want Italian without an attitude go to Mamma Mia about 3 blocks away. The front desk staff was OK.
They advertise some rooms with a skylight. They were in the floor below us, and we could see the the skylight windows were filthy.

The night before we stayed in a Choice Suites Motel for $60 less and had a much better total visit.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank tommyfoutball
SandyBurkettGM, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Vintage Portland, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2016

Dear Tommyfoutball;
Just wanted to thank you for choosing to stay with us back in 2007 - after reading your review, we wanted you to know that we have enjoyed a tremendous renovation and would love to see you again. Come visit. Sandy Burkett, GM

Reviewed May 27, 2007

Wine is terrific. I was stunned they actually had someone who knew wine. Yes, it was all less than $20 a bottle. We had a couple of glasses of a mixed red named OOPS from Chile. It was great plus free.

The rooms can be a problem. Our first rooom was dark and dreary We had a room with 1 window that looked on an airshaft. I asked the desk for a new room with bright windows. They gave us a goregeous room on the corner with 5 windows. It is fabulous. My husband didn't feel well and I went to the hotel resturant Pazzo and asked for ginger ale. The got it and said it was free as it was medicene. We had room service and it was terrific. We would stay here again, but insist on a corner room or a bright room. It is noisey, but we can sleep anywhere.

We strongly recommend it.

Josephone

Stayed: April 2007

Dear josephone;

Reviewed April 16, 2007

My first impression of the hotel was the staff upon check in. They were courtious and proffessional.

The room was a disappointment which apparently has not been updated since the late 80's or early 90's. The decorrum was very dated. The beds were really uncomfortable and neither my wife or I had a good nights sleep on the four nights we stayed there.
The hotel also does not spring for HBO in their cable package.
Even Motel 6 has HBO. Common!

The Starbucks Coffee in the morning was a nice touch in 12 oz. cups. I mention the size only because most complimentary hotel coffee is in a 6 oz. cup. I agree with a previous review about the wine service. The quality was mediocre and it would have been nice to have some cheese or fruit to compliment the wine.

The one customer service failure was the lack of a phone book in the room. When I inquired as to why there were no phone books in the room I was informed they were a green hotel and were trying to save trees. I was then told that if I wanted to use a phone book I could look at one while standing at the front desk. This really annoyed me. To treat something disposable and recycleable as if it were a rare and out of print book is rediculous. How about the hotel having a number of phone books that housekeeping can deliver to the the room when one is requested?

As for the restaurant Pazzo, my wife and I sat down and ordered drinks and after looking at the menu could not find anything we wanted to eat. This was not the fault of the menu its just that we had driven all day and were in a weird mood. The restaurant was very slow and rather than sneak out we flagged our waitress down and appologized for wasting her time and offered to pay for our drinks. The food runner then appeared with the drinks and she abrutly turned to him and said " don't bother they are not staying".

Not all was bad . Its a great hotel if you have pets and the staff is very nice for the most part. They even provide umbrellas.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
5  Thank feetofclay

dear feeofclay;

Reviewed April 9, 2007

My husband and I stay here frequently and it is a great hotel - the rooms are decorated very nicely - definitely not your typical standard hotel room. For an extra splurge stay in the Starlight rooms on the top floor - it is a solarium style room with views of the stars and city lights - beautiful and romantic. The service is great and the location is right in the heart of downtown Portland.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled on business

dear Traveler952000
Thank you for the great review from your visit in 2007. Just wanted to thank you for choosing to stay with us - isn't it time to come visit Portland again? We have enjoyed a tremendous renovation and would love to see you again. Come visit. Sandy Burkett, GM

Reviewed April 5, 2007

My husband and I were pleasantly suprised at this little but very well appointed hotel. We spent only one night as we were passing through town but the room we recieved was fabulous. We were upgraded to the Starlight room which had floor to ceiling windows and made the sunset a joy to watch. The room was large and the bed was very comfortable (That means a lot as my 6'4' husband is very picky). The staff was friendly and helpful. If you are in Portland I would highly recomend staying at this top notch hotel!

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank amorr

Dear amorr;

Reviewed March 11, 2007

Just returned from a fantastic 3-night stay at the Hotel Vintage Plaza. This hotel has the kind of service I like the best: Attentive
but not intrusive. The lobby is beautiful - a bit like stepping back
in time, which is natural given the age of the structure. However, once you step onto the elevator things get more modern. We stayed in the Starlight Room, which includes a sloped-glass ceiling with "a view to the stars" (if the weather permits), as well as automatic blinds that open and close with the push of a switch. The room was clean and spacious, with the expected quality of bed, linens, and furniture. The location of the hotel is perfect. We did not take advantage of the public transportation, which is nearby, but did much walking around the city. The only negative is a minor one: The hotel is wine-themed, and although the nightly wine bar is a nice touch, the quality of the wines should be improved. But we overlooked
that while being hypnotized by the wonderful piano and violin concert during the 5 o'clock hour! Nearby sights: Pearl District, full of cute store in refurbished warehouses (around 9th, 10th, 11th, and 12th st near Burnside); Washington Park (we walked there, but recommend the public transit) - don't miss the Japanese Gardens!
Dinner at Hubers (corner of Stark and 3rd, walking distance from Hotel).

Stayed: March 2007
3  Thank kleef

dear kleef;
Thank you so much for your amazing review! Just wanted to thank you for choosing to stay with us back in 2007 - isn't it time to come visit Portland again? We have enjoyed a tremendous renovation and would love to see you again. Come visit. Sandy Burkett, GM

Reviewed February 1, 2007

The property: great location downtown, easy access, lots within walking distance. The elevators are quick and the rooms elegantly appointed. The bathroom was big and had lots of fluffy towels, and Aveda bath products were provided. The bed is comfortable and has nice linens and lots of pillows. There was a coffee maker with good coffee, hair dryer, and robes. The alarm clock was broken, I called down and told them, but they didn't replace it the next day. The TV remote didn't work well, but I didn't bother to call about it. The walls are thin; I finally turned off the fan in the room and could hear all the bumps and movement of my fellow guests, so I turned the fan back on.

The people: smiles and help from every member of staff. The valet remembered my name, even when I lost my ticket. The maids were pleasant and did their work with no intrusion. I asked for directions and was given a printout of mapquest directions. Service is attentive but not intrusive, and I was impressed with the professionalism and courtesy of the staff. My husband ordered flowers for me that morning and they were waiting in my room when I arrived in the afternoon; that was a lovely touch and he was impressed staff delivered the flowers right to my room before my arrival.

Special goodies: The Oregonian and New York Times at the door every morning, coffee bar in the am with takeout cups, and wine bar in the evening and you can take your wine to your room. There was a toasty fire to sit by in the lobby.

I didn't use any of the services like spa, business center or exercise room so I can't advise about those.

Avoid: The restaurant in the hotel, Pazzo, had mediocre food and the service was terrible. Avoid it.

Parking is 26 dollars, and the hotel is right on the train line. If you can avoid using a car and can get by on the train you will save yourself money.

I would definitely stay here again. I enjoyed it, felt pampered without indulging in the extra services, and found the staff to be delightful.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank Rebemdee

dear Rebemdee;
Just wanted to thank you for choosing to stay with us back in 2007 - isn't it time to come visit Portland again? We have enjoyed a tremendous renovation and would love to see you again. Sandy Burkett, GM