1,430 results
All reviewswine hourpazzo restaurantwine tastingsoaking tubwine receptionthe pearlheart of downtownpioneer squarehappy hourfront desk staffcentral locationvalet parkingstreet noisefew blockspublic transportationpowell's booksking bed
Reviewed June 7, 2009

I stayed two nights over the Rose Festival weekend. The room was a basic king bed room and faced the back of the hotel. Not much of a view, but the room was very clean and recently updated. Our room was very quiet, no noise from the hall or adjacent rooms. I enjoyed the Aveda bath products. We had some difficulty connecting our laptop to the free wireless. My husband called the support number provided by the hotel and had a great response. Ethan at the front desk was very helpful, as was all the staff. Parking is pricey ($31.00 a night), but the valet service was prompt and polite.

The Rose Festival parade passes right in front of the hotel. The staff set-up chairs for the guest to use while viewing the parade. There was also seating inside the lobby, right in front of a large picture window. In the morning we enjoyed Starbucks coffee in the lobby, wine in the evening. The location is great and we walked everywhere.

We had a breakfast and lunch in the hotel restaurant, Pazzo. The food and services were excellent. They make their own baked goods and had a good selection of brunch and Italian menu items. I have stayed at the Hilton and the Marriot, but would prefer to return to HVP on my next Portland visit.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank HSUGrad
SandyBurkettGM, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Vintage Portland, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2016

Dear HSU Grad;
Thank you for choosing to stay with us back in 2009 - isn't it time to come visit Portland again? We have enjoyed a tremendous renovation and would love to see you again. Come visit. Sandy Burkett, GM

Reviewed May 22, 2009

We stayed at the hotel vintage plaza after finding a great deal on a well known travel website. The staff was wonderful in assisting with my having shipped some gourmet chocolates as a surprise for my wife that needed to be kept chilled. They also had a chilled bottle of champagne waiting, with a personal happy birthday note from the hotel manager and a coupon for their excellent restaurant. We upgraded to a larger suite with a japanese soaking tub for two that filled up with hot water in just five minutes. The rooms were quite large, clean, and the bed was amazingly comfortable. The remote controlled sky light window shades were also a nice touch, as was the elevated seating area.

They have a daily wine social hour for hotel guests and the wine selection was quite nice, and it is a free of charge. It is a pet friendly hotel and we did see a dog or three going out for a walk, but never had any issues with any pets while we were there, and you certainly cannot tell that pets are there.

The only problem we had during our four night stay were the neighboring couple were celebrating a bit too noisily at 2AM, but a call to the front desk was made and the staff were very discreet, respectful, and appropriate to both us and I'm sure to the folks next door. Aside from that (which isn't the hotel's fault of course), we had a wonderful, wonderful time. We will most certainly be back.

Our first of many trips to Portland, and we will always stay in this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SNLRichmond
SandyGM2013, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Vintage Portland, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2016

Thank you for your 5 Star review. We look forward to serving you again. Sandy Burkett, GM

Reviewed May 18, 2009

I've stayed at the other Kimpton property, Hotel Monaco, before while in Portland but have never tried Vintage Plaza. This time I decided to stay there after receiving a timely e-mail offer. The staff were very nice, and since I'd checked in late and missed the evening wine they sent up a bottle. I did not try the restaurant because I'd already eaten, but I found a personally addressed letter in my room offering a discount. I enjoyed a soak in the deep jetted tub in the bathroom - although I would note it would be difficult for some disabled or elderly people to get into and out of (at one point I almost fell). Do not leave the tub unattended while filling - there's actually a sign stating this and I can see why; it fills very quickly. At the same time, make sure the top jets are covered before turning it on, or it'll blow suds clear across the room! (It should be obvious how I know this...) I selected the 8th floor, which only has skylights and not actual windows, because I've been to Portland before and it wasn't important to me to see out, plus I have insomnia made worse by light pollution. It was great except that the cord on the shade was broken so it would not draw. This made me a little skeptical of the supposed renovation/grand reopening that was the subject of the special. Having never been there before, I had nothing to compare it to but I wondered how the cord was broken so quickly. In any case, the room was quiet and comfortable, and everything went well. I was also allowed to leave my things and my vehicle there after checking out so I could do some shopping. Overall, a positive visit.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled solo

Reviewed May 18, 2009

My husband and I spent an evening on the town for our anniversary. The weather was perfect for staying in the Garden Spa Suite. We stayed in room 915 and had a wonderful view of the city. Everyone at the hotel were eager to please and we felt pampered. We slept well in a comfortable bed and, before checking out, we ate a delicious breakfast on our deck. The staff for the valet parking and door were exceptional.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank kjkktravel

Reviewed May 4, 2009

This is a poor location for anyone who needs to walk a dog during evening or early morning hours, especially if you are a woman. I live in Portland, Oregon and checked into the Hotel Vintage Plaza during a remodel for two nights and two days. The staff will tell you that the closest bark dust area (not grass) is one block away. The closest grassy area is 4 blocks away in a VERY unsafe part of town. The hotel staff also doesn't tell you that general area around the hotel is populated by a lot of homeless people (I live here and I didn't know it). It is very sad and unfortunate, of course, when one finds oneself without a home, but my dog and I found ourselves in dangerous places because of the homeless with mental illnesses that we encountered. It wasn't a few, but about 30 in our one block walk to the bark dust area. My dog was nervous and so was I.

Not only did we find ourselves in nerve wracking areas of town, but the night before our departure, there were several loud bangs and pushes into my hotel room door. I thought I had tipsy, loud and rude neighbors, but to my surprise at opening my door sometime later at 10PM for our evening dog walk, a man and a woman ran away fast to the emergency exit. It became quite clear what the banging on my door was--can you imagine? I was shaken and talked to the front desk and asked for security to check it out. No one was found meeting my description. I asked security to walk me to my hotel room when I returned from another harrowing evening walk with my dog. This time there was a screaming crazy/scary man who was harassing the hotel doorman as I quickly entered the hotel. I've got to tell you in traveling all over the world, I have never stayed in a neighborhood where I felt I needed a body guard. And to top it off, this neighborhood was in my home town!

Beyond that, on each of the two mornings starting at about 4:30AM, loud banging from outside started (it sounded like someone with a wooden bat continually hitting a dumpster). The TV was fuzzy, even though it was a beautiful flat screen. It turns out that a day after I checked in, when I insisted that something had to be done, the hotel engineer moved a heavy armoire and found a loose connection. Okay, that was fixed.

So the morning we left, it was about all I could endure. We had been awakened by the banging at 4:30AM, went out at 6:30AM for a walk and as usual I was worried about our safety. I couldn't wait to check out, so on our return, called the front desk asking for a bellman to help with one bag and the dog bed, so that I could take the dog and myself down to the car (I also asked for the car to be brought around). No bellman arrived after waiting for 15 minutes (there were not a lot of guests staying in the hotel), so I dragged myself, the dog and one heavy bag downstairs thinking that I could put them in the car and lock it and go back upstairs for the dog bed. Well, my car was in front, but no valet with the key could be found. I again asked the front desk and they called the valet (who it turns out is also the bellman) and I waited another 15 minutes for him to show up with my key. He, as it turns out, was waiting for me in front of my room now as I was waiting for him for 15 minutes downstairs. It was sad. It really was. When I finally got the key to my car, I locked the dog and the bag inside and went back upstairs to go get the dog bed and check out.

No credit was given for the multitude of mishaps, but I didn't ask for one either. I was just relieved to be out of there. What I can do is illuminate that this is the wrong part of Portland for dog walking. If you find yourself needing a hotel in downtown Portland that accepts dogs, look for one that is a block away from the South Park Blocks (not the North Park Blocks). That area is safer. Better still, stay in an area called "The Pearl" which is the safest of all.

Also, for the first time in my life I have determined that one should look out the peep hole in the hotel room door before one exits a hotel room. UGH! Good luck.

• Stayed: May 2009
4  Thank DesignerWhoTravels
Steve080, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Vintage Portland, responded to this reviewResponded May 12, 2009

Dear DesignerWhoTravels -

Thank you for your recent review and information that can be shared with future travelers.

We would like to assist in any possible way, and would like to share some additional information for other travelers when making your decision for downtown Portland hotel accommodations. Our hotel is one block from the closest dog park, which is actually closer than most of the downtown hotels in our neighborhood - making us a good choice for dog owners based on this proximity (of course we are a pet friendly hotel all around and welcome pets throughout the property as well).

As with most major urban areas - there are going to be some transient (homeless) in the downtown area - this unfortunately can't be avoided, but to be clear this is not specific to our property, downtown Portland or other major metro areas, and is not a rampant problem with our hotel specifically (it is good to note this and to be aware of your surroundings when going out after dark as a precaution anywhere in an urban area). We sincerely apologize if this caught you off guard, and ensure that directions provided to our guests are safe and well-traveled in order to maximize your convenience and security, and would never want to lead you astray.

After checking our records of the incident on your guest room floor - it appears that the security officer did follow our security protocol on property and went directly to your room, as well as performing a sweep of your guest room floor and area to ensure that no mischevious characters or activity was abound. We sincerely apologize for any noise complaints but could not determine any additional noise throughout the night fromthe area around your room. His sweep did not result in any activity, and there were no other reports of noise or wrong doing on the evening of your call.

Please accept our apologies for not alerting you ahead of time of the delay for the bellman to attend to your request - we certainly should have given you a time frame, and will note this for any similar future requests that may come up, so that our guest services staff is aware of the inconvenience that this error in our communication caused you.

We hope that this information will help to reassure you and other travelers that we have made every effort to solve any mishap with your stay and look forward to the opportunity to assist in any way that we can. Thank you again for sharing your comments.

Steve S.