“Small, comfortable, friendly”

Kimpton Hotel Vintage Portland
Ranked #6 of 144 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed June 25, 2013

If you're looking for a small hotel in Portland, you can't beat the Vintage Plaza. As at all Kimpton's, the staff was friendly and helpful, the wine hour was delightful, and the room was extremely clean. The location is ideal for easy MAX access (the best way to get to town from the airport) and for strolling the Pearl District. Voodoo Doughnut is also a quick walk if you're craving a sweet treat!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank GeorgeT47
SandyGM2013, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Vintage Portland, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2013

Dear GeorgeT047;
Thank you for sharing your experience with other Portland travelers! I think you could easily have another career in travel writing..... for us or Travel Portland! Your recommendation of our hotel and Kimpton in general was fabulous. Thank you - here is my FAVORITE part "... the staff was friendly and helpful, the wine hour was delightful, and the room was extremely clean. The location is ideal for easy MAX access (the best way to get to town from the airport) and for strolling the Pearl District. Voodoo Doughnut is also a quick walk if you're craving a sweet treat! " (well ok all of it!) Thank you thank you thank you !!!!! Please Return soon, until then... happy trails, Sandy Burkett, GM

There are newer reviews for Kimpton Hotel Vintage Portland

Reviewed June 24, 2013

We had a one night stay at this lovely hotel. We stated one night at the Hotel Vintage plaza before going on to Eugene. The hotel was very conveniently located. From the moment we arrived the customer service and hospitality was outstanding! We mentioned it was our anniversary when we checked in and after going out to lunch were surprised to have a bottle of wine waiting for us. Very, very thoughtful. The hotel was extremely clean. I just can't say enough about the staff. From the very friendly woman who checked us in to several of the bellmen who helped us with our car and find restaurants and even a local dance spot.
We did have a glass of the complimentary wine. They had some pizza like appetizers out that looked delicious but we did not partake. There were all of the amenities you would need and if you forgot something it was available for purchase. We had a few things out of the mini bar and I thought they were very reasonably priced. The room was exactly as expected and what was pictured on the site. Outstanding!!! Would definitely return.
Oh yes, I should mention too that we got lost looking for the local train. I recognized another Kimpton hotel just a block or two away. Wish I could remember which one but I believe the Monaco? We explained to the bellman we were lost, staying at a sister hotel, and probably needed a cab. We told him our destination (which he guessed!) and he confirmed a cab would be best given our timeframe. He immediately hailed one and told the driver our destination. He was extremely polite and attentive and we weren't even staying there!! We stayed in a Kimpton hotel in San Francisco once and had the same outstanding customer service experience. Will definitely go out of my way even to find Kimpton hotels in the future.

Dear MrandMrsAMoore:
As I end my day, I am responding to the last of the reviews on our hotel. Yours made me smile and really warmed my heart. We have great people across the country with Kimpton. We hire people that love being of service to others. Your experience reflects our culture and the greatness of our company spirit. I am so thrilled that you had a fabulous Portland experience with our team here at the Vintage Plaza & in the street with the Monaco team. I am happy to know that we recognized and added to your anniversary celebration, ensuring your time with us was a pleasure from start to finish. We hope to see you back in Portland soon. Thank you for ending my day with such a fabulous description of your experience. Thank you for sharing it with future travelers. All the best, Sandy Burkett, GM.

Reviewed June 19, 2013

If you look for customer service in the dictionary you will see the Vintage Plaza. Every single contact from reserving to checking out was superb. The staff are there to help, the atmosphere is welcoming. And when I misplaced an item I go nothing but help. I can's say enough good things about my stay.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
SandyGM2013, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Vintage Portland, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2013

Dear Kathy L from New Westminster;
Wooo Whooo - you have probably noticed that I do my best to hop on the web sites and respond to those guests that share their travel opinion of our hotel- yours is my last review of the day - I am hitting the weekend so grateful! Your comment about our customer service being the definition in the dictionary - well thank you, that is humbling. I am ecstatic about your experience with our staff “Every single contact from reserving to, as one of our northern neighbors, you come back to Portland soon. Thank you for sharing your feedback with others travelers looking for genuine care. Enjoy your summer! All the best, Sandy Burkett, GM

Reviewed June 18, 2013

I chose this hotel because if its location, right in the heart of Portland. It's an old hotel that has been beautifully renovated. They have free wine in the lobby between 5-6p, and the hotel staff could not have been more helpful. They helped us with a hard to get extra night at the Vintage Park in Seattle for the great internet rate we already had. They have underground parking but if you are not planning on using your car they suggested another garage across the street at half the price. We would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: We had an upper story room in the"14" series. It is a long room where the entrance to the...
1  Thank ColoradoVirginia

Dear ColoradoVirginia;
Thank you so much for sharing your experience of our fabulous Portland Location.... Lovely Room and the Staff's level of Genuine Care for others to see. We truly appreciate the detail that you shared with future Portland visitors. Please come back soon, thank you too for sharing your review with future friends! Warmest Regards, Sandy Burkett, GM

Reviewed June 18, 2013

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
2  Thank Herbert H

Reviewed June 14, 2013

I stayed in the hotel for close to 2 weeks and had a good experience. The hotel was comfortable, albeit a bit old and the staff were friendly and helpful. I had the corner room on the top floor (the Starlight room) and was originally pretty thrilled that there were sloping windows with automatic blinds on them to let the sun in. Unfortunately, the room looked into a bank across the road on one side and another hotel on the other, so I usually kept the blinds down. The lobby was large and spacious with plenty of seating and I think that the hotel offers bicycles for those who would like to ride. The hotel is centrally located, a couple of blocks from Pioneer Square.

Pros: Nice bedding, large space, staff was always very friendly and helpful, always willing to answer my questions and to point me to someone who could help me. I also enjoyed that they had orange infused water in the lobby throughout the day and Starbucks coffee and tea in the mornings, which is great when you're in a rush. They also had wine tasting sessions in the evenings, which I unfortunately did not take advantage of. Wi-Fi was strong and free if you registered with your email. One major plus was that the hotel offered things like hair curling irons, stain removal wipes,TSA compliant bags, free of charge if you asked them for it.

Cons: The room was clean, except for when I unfurled a towel and found a hair in it. This happened twice. One of the lamps could not be switched off and I resorted to pulling the plug on it. The walls were thin (I could hear the woman in the next room on a video call with her young daughter) and there were times I jolted awake from the sound of the door shutting in the next room because it sounded like my own door closing. The air conditioning can be noisy and the elevators were slow and jerky. One disappointment was that there was no water provided in the rooms.

I still enjoyed my stay a lot despite the minor inconveniences. To note, pets are welcome in this hotel, which I liked, although people who are not dog friendly may be taken aback.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
SandyGM2013, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Vintage Portland, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2013

Dear PrisVivienne from Singapore, Singapore!

What a gift to serve a guest for close to 2 weeks. Thank you for your thorough review of our hotel, the exceptional service, as well as our accomodations. I appreciate your acknowledgement and mention of our staff being friendly and helpful, that you had the corner room on the top floor (the Starlight room) and you loved the light and the sloping windows with automatic blinds on them to let the sun in. You had also highlighted that we do offer bicycles for those who would like to ride, complimentary. Again, thank you for noting the elements of your experience in such masterful detail! Two things that jumped out to me "staff was always very friendly and helpful, always willing to answer my questions and to point me to someone who could help me" and our recent investment in our guest connectivity: "Wi-Fi was strong and free if you registered with your email." We appreciate your choice to stay with us, the time it took to share with future travelers your experience and that we have been part of your Portland journey. All the best, Sandy Burkett, GM

Reviewed June 12, 2013

From my arrival at the hotel, everything was perfect. I took the train from the airport and had a short walk to the hotel. At the hotel, the doorman smiled and opened every door. The desk clerk welcomed me and gave me a $10 raid-the-minibar coupon and described the nearby lunch options (all with homemade bread...yum). My corner room was clean and inviting with windows on all of the exterior walls. I was on the 5th floor, and I never waited more than 2 minutes for an elevator. The catered food for out meeting was really good and attractively displayed. I would book again in an instant.

Room Tip: Ask what special rooms are available. There are many choices.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Foodist50

Dear Foodist50 from Atlanta;
Thank you for your start to finish review of your hotel experience here at the Vintage Plaza. I agree with you that Portland has a fabulous transit system, I encourage our travelers to take a plane, then the train from the airport and just a quick jaunt to our hotel. Portland is a fabulous walking city! Our downtown location is close to everything, with so much to do and see! I truly appreciated your description of our arrival to departure service consistency.The best part of your review for me was that you would come back and rebook in an instant. Thanks too for your room tip for future travelers. Warmest Regards, Sandy Burkett, GM