“A Really Nice Surprise”

GreenLeadersGold level
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“A Really Nice Surprise”
Reviewed May 23, 2013

On my recent trip to Portland my regular hotel was full so I stayed nearby at the Hotel Vintage Plaza. This turned out to be a great stroke of luck for me. The hotel was beautiful and the staff could not have been nicer. Everyone from the valet to the front desk to the housekeeper was professional, friendly and warm. The hotel hosts a wine reception in the lobby or living room each evening. This was great fun and a great way to transition from work to relaxing.

The hotel is downtown and within easy walking distance of some great coffee shops for breakfast and equally great restaurants for dinner. I think this hotel will become my new regular home when I'm in Portland on business.

Room Tip: All the rooms are a little different. I always like the higher floors however.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank trvlfun2011
SandyGM2013, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Vintage Portland, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Dear TvlFun;
I loved reading your review about your hotel experience at the Vintage Plaza. We are thrilled your usual hotel was full so that we could serve you! I agree that our team is genuinely warm, friendly and professional. Our hosted Managers wine reception is an exceptional opportunity to get to know other travelers and for our guests to learn fun local things to do and great Portland Restaurants to enjoy. Thank you for highlighting all the positives in your hotel experience! We look forward to serving you on your next trip to Portland.
Until next time, happy trails! Sandy Burkett, GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (299)
Malibu, California
Reviewed May 16, 2013

Karen got me my favorite corner room and early check in. 8 feel spoiled anytime I stay with this hotel. They have such excepting customer service. My son and d in law dined at Pazzo's for an excellent dinner, while carter, my grandson ordered room service. Carter loves the Vintage, at three he has it already figured out. They are a wonderful hotel.

Room Tip: Love corner and if you wish to have a suite the glass topped rooms are outstanding.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Andy S
SandyGM2013, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Vintage Portland, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Dear Andy S~
It is clear that Carter is certainly developing great taste! We are absolutely honored to have served you and your family on Mom's day weekend. From Karen pre-blocking your favorite room, to Dinner in Pazzo and In-room Dining for Carter, we are so happy that you each had a fabulous experience here for Mom's Day enjoying all the Vintage Plaza has to offer. We look forward to having you back again in the near future. All the best, until your next trip! Sandy Burkett, GM
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed May 15, 2013

I have been staying at the hotel Vintage Plaza for the last 5 years. The service is consistently good and I love the fact that each and every room is different. It is a relatively small hotel, so I really enjoy the 'at home' feel you get when you are greeted in the lobby. Like the other Kimpton hotels, there is a wine hour every night and pets are welcome.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are different, so you may want to ask which are their most popular rooms.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
SandyGM2013, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Vintage Portland, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Dear expats_in_Taiwan;

Each review means a great deal to us, the feedback that you have shared as a return guest for the past 5 years - made me smile this morning as It came across my email. Thank you for making a concious choice to stay with us at the Vintage Plaza for the last 5 years, we are grateful for both you taking the time to share your experiences at our hotel with others and most of all for your loyalty.

Our team takes great pride in the level of service they consistently provide. Thank you too for noting that you love the fact that each and every room is different. We are relatively small hotel, so we do our best to enhance the guest experience, with a genuine 'at home' feeling" without being intrusive. We look forward to serving you again and again in the future for at least another 5 years! May your journeys continue to be filled with joy. All the best, Sandy Burkett, GM
Boise
Reviewed May 13, 2013 via mobile

This is a generally nice hotel. We arrived during happy hour and checked in with a glass of wine - what a great way to start our stay! We had a King Spa Suite. The room was looonng and narrow with one small window. The spa portion of the bath was fabulous. However, the shower was TINY and the shower head was too low for me to stand under and I'm only 5'7"! Would we be back? Yes, this hotel is in a great location.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear KB from Boise;

It sounds like your check in experience during wine hour was just what you were looking for!
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback, your feedback about our King Spa Suite "The spa portion of the bath was fabulous." and that you mention that the shower for convenience is indeed on small side. Our guests that book the suite are usually looking for the "spa tub". It is an exceptionally large room, 750 square feet. Glad that you enjoyed your stay and happy to know that you will be back. Thank you again. Warmest Regards, Sandy Burkett

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Was upgraded so got a huge room which was great - very quiet and a great bed to sleep in. No coffee facilities in the room and had to go downstairs to the foyer in order to get one in the morning - although it was good quality. I joined the Kimpton scheme so got free WiFi whoch was very fast. The hotel is right in the centre on SW Broadway which is really convenient.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Dear Asascore;

Yes we have NOW have FABULOUS Connectivity "Whoch" is right! Our Internet is FAST - We just invested in a tremendous new system and - fast it is! I am thrilled that you took opportunity and joined our Kimpton In Touch Program which provides and I n c r e d i b l e value to our guests, and here at the Vintage Plaza Free FAST WiFi is the best part, meeting you preferences for your guest experience is also an added value. You mentioned that we had the availability to upgrade you! WE usually run full so we don't get to do it as often as we would like.glad you enjoyed your entire experience. Thank you for your feedback and we hope your return to us is as fast as our WiFi~
Whoch! All the best, Sandy Burkett, GM
Walnut Creek, California
Reviewed May 11, 2013

Hands down, this was one of the best hotels I've recently stayed at. It's at a great location near the center of town, near everything .. museums, beer pubs, hikes in the urban forest (short light rail trip.) It's an older building, but nicely renovated and has a great vibe. The staff was super accomodating with any question. And, they've got the complimentary wine tasting everyday from 5 to 6. Was a bit concerned about street noise, but they have double pane windows, so no worry. I'd hadn't been to Portland in many years but was really impressed at what a awesome town it is these days. When I come back, I'll be staying at the Vintage Plaza.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank CACAtraveler
Dear CACTraveler;
Woooo Whooo! Thank You! Hands down your review made my morning! Thank you for the highlights that you listed for future travelers. We love Portland and that it is such a fun place to travel. Our team really enjoys serving our guests. It is fun to share the off the beaten path places to enjoy, we love sharing with our guests how to live like a local. I am happy to see that this was " Hands down, this was one of the best hotels I've recently stayed at. ..... When I come back, I'll be staying at the Vintage Plaza" I can't ask for more that all you listed, please come back soon and thank you again. All the best, Sandy Burkett, GM
Scotland
Reviewed May 10, 2013

We had chosen to use Amtrak trains to travel from Vancouver, through Seattle and decided that Portland might be a good place to stop and explore for a few days. We usually opt for Fairmont hotels but they don't have any in Portland so we chose the Vintage Plaza - on price and location. The hotel would have had a 5 star rating from me if we had not had such a frosty start from the guy on reception. I am not sure what was going on for him because all of the other staff that we met during our trip were lovely...understated and helpful. It did mean though that we started our stay with some concerns but thankfully they were quickly overcome.

The room was small but nicely furnished. There is a lot of merchandising stuff in the room which we just ignored but no tea of coffee making facilities bother us. It's a small but important thing for hotels of this standard. However - and this is a big positive - there is complimentary coffee free in the lobby of the hotel in the morning....but you do have to get dressed to go and get it!

And then - the happy hour wine tasting from 5pm...what a treat. It is served in the lovely lobby area and as far as I could see there was no limit to how many glasses of wine you could have in that time. I am sure the hotel staff have how to manage who might want to overindulge down to a fine art though.

The hotel is located a short walk from the most things. Portland is not a huge city! We visited the famous Powells Book shop a few blocks away and found a good range of other shops. However what made the trip so special was our visit to the Japanese Gardens, Rose Gardens and Holocaust memorial - all in the Washington Park area. On the advice of the very helpful folk at the Tourist information centre in Pioneer Square we took the MAX train to Washington Park and then connected with the bus that does a circuit of the park ( number 63 I think...check!). We caught it a couple of times and when we realised it was the same driver for each stage he explained about the loop. With our travel ticket we could use it as often as we wanted so we did and we got to everywhere we wanted to be.

Although there is a lot of talk about how interesting the Pearl district is we must have missed the interesting bits! Nice enough streets to walk around but nothing special. However we did come across the excellent Whole Foods shop where we got some delicious hot food that we could eat on the premises. A real find when you get to the stage on a holiday where another restaurant meal is the last thing you want!

Really liked Portland. Really liked Vintage Plaza.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jayseetoo
Dear Guest;
Thank you so much for your review of our hotel, the Amtrak trains from Vancouver, through Seattle and Portland are a tremendous value and adventure. I was pleased to see that you chose our hotel for your exploration of Portland. Your review of our staff helps me to continue our vigiliance that every guest interaction makes a difference! Sorry about the one bad apple.... but thrilled to hear that indeed every other staff experience that you had met during your trip were lovely...understated and helpful.

I am glad that you mentioned that there is no tea of coffee in our guest rooms - We will immediately bring up a coffee maker or electric tea maker upon request. Please let us know you would like it during the reservation, at check in or even anytime during your stay, we will promptly have it delivered immediately, at no cost. I agree that it's an important thing for hotels. We have many different room types, some rather petite, we have found that providing coffee and tea for our guests at no cost, upon request, has been a big positive. Our coffee service in the lobby is also complimentary, but when I am staying in a hotel, I can't imagine anyone seeing me before my first cup of coffee, so again thank you.

I love that you so enjoyed our happy hour wine tasting from 5pm...it is a treat.
We appreciate your feedback and look forward to serving you again on your next Portland adventure. All the best, Sandy Burkett, GM