“A great find in Portland”

Kimpton Hotel Vintage Portland
Ranked #8 of 144 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed May 11, 2013

Hands down, this was one of the best hotels I've recently stayed at. It's at a great location near the center of town, near everything .. museums, beer pubs, hikes in the urban forest (short light rail trip.) It's an older building, but nicely renovated and has a great vibe. The staff was super accomodating with any question. And, they've got the complimentary wine tasting everyday from 5 to 6. Was a bit concerned about street noise, but they have double pane windows, so no worry. I'd hadn't been to Portland in many years but was really impressed at what a awesome town it is these days. When I come back, I'll be staying at the Vintage Plaza.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank CACAtraveler
SandyGM2013, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Vintage Portland, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2013

Dear CACTraveler;
Woooo Whooo! Thank You! Hands down your review made my morning! Thank you for the highlights that you listed for future travelers. We love Portland and that it is such a fun place to travel. Our team really enjoys serving our guests. It is fun to share the off the beaten path places to enjoy, we love sharing with our guests how to live like a local. I am happy to see that this was " Hands down, this was one of the best hotels I've recently stayed at. ..... When I come back, I'll be staying at the Vintage Plaza" I can't ask for more that all you listed, please come back soon and thank you again. All the best, Sandy Burkett, GM

Reviewed May 10, 2013

We had chosen to use Amtrak trains to travel from Vancouver, through Seattle and decided that Portland might be a good place to stop and explore for a few days. We usually opt for Fairmont hotels but they don't have any in Portland so we chose the Vintage Plaza - on price and location. The hotel would have had a 5 star rating from me if we had not had such a frosty start from the guy on reception. I am not sure what was going on for him because all of the other staff that we met during our trip were lovely...understated and helpful. It did mean though that we started our stay with some concerns but thankfully they were quickly overcome.

The room was small but nicely furnished. There is a lot of merchandising stuff in the room which we just ignored but no tea of coffee making facilities bother us. It's a small but important thing for hotels of this standard. However - and this is a big positive - there is complimentary coffee free in the lobby of the hotel in the morning....but you do have to get dressed to go and get it!

And then - the happy hour wine tasting from 5pm...what a treat. It is served in the lovely lobby area and as far as I could see there was no limit to how many glasses of wine you could have in that time. I am sure the hotel staff have how to manage who might want to overindulge down to a fine art though.

The hotel is located a short walk from the most things. Portland is not a huge city! We visited the famous Powells Book shop a few blocks away and found a good range of other shops. However what made the trip so special was our visit to the Japanese Gardens, Rose Gardens and Holocaust memorial - all in the Washington Park area. On the advice of the very helpful folk at the Tourist information centre in Pioneer Square we took the MAX train to Washington Park and then connected with the bus that does a circuit of the park ( number 63 I think...check!). We caught it a couple of times and when we realised it was the same driver for each stage he explained about the loop. With our travel ticket we could use it as often as we wanted so we did and we got to everywhere we wanted to be.

Although there is a lot of talk about how interesting the Pearl district is we must have missed the interesting bits! Nice enough streets to walk around but nothing special. However we did come across the excellent Whole Foods shop where we got some delicious hot food that we could eat on the premises. A real find when you get to the stage on a holiday where another restaurant meal is the last thing you want!

Really liked Portland. Really liked Vintage Plaza.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jayseetoo

Dear Guest;
Thank you so much for your review of our hotel, the Amtrak trains from Vancouver, through Seattle and Portland are a tremendous value and adventure. I was pleased to see that you chose our hotel for your exploration of Portland. Your review of our staff helps me to continue our vigiliance that every guest interaction makes a difference! Sorry about the one bad apple.... but thrilled to hear that indeed every other staff experience that you had met during your trip were lovely...understated and helpful.

I am glad that you mentioned that there is no tea of coffee in our guest rooms - We will immediately bring up a coffee maker or electric tea maker upon request. Please let us know you would like it during the reservation, at check in or even anytime during your stay, we will promptly have it delivered immediately, at no cost. I agree that it's an important thing for hotels. We have many different room types, some rather petite, we have found that providing coffee and tea for our guests at no cost, upon request, has been a big positive. Our coffee service in the lobby is also complimentary, but when I am staying in a hotel, I can't imagine anyone seeing me before my first cup of coffee, so again thank you.

I love that you so enjoyed our happy hour wine tasting from 5pm...it is a treat.
We appreciate your feedback and look forward to serving you again on your next Portland adventure. All the best, Sandy Burkett, GM

Reviewed May 7, 2013

This hotel is right downtown, convenient for walking to the Pearl District and all over downtown, obviously. We barely had to use our car, although when we did, the valets were very prompt with bringing it up. A nice detail is that hybrids get 50% off valet parking, and that discount was noted on our bill without us even telling them we had a hybrid. They just noticed.

As dog owners, we are big fans of Kimpton's extremely pet-friendly policy, and this hotel didn't fail. Dog bowls, treats, and a bottle of water (which I'm pretty sure was free, since it was with the dog stuff, but we didn't touch it just in case) were set up in our room. There was also a notice that we would get a $5 credit for the in-house cafe or restaurant if we turned down maid service. We did and got the credit, but ended up not using it.

Our room was very large, with a separate sitting room and 2 flat-screen TVs. It was comfortable, clean, and good value for the money. We would go again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear LotusCat:

Thank you for your review of your guest experience here really highlighted our locations' convience, right downtown easy walking to the Pearl District and all over! You had also mentioned our bell valet staff their prompt and gracious service, and our Kimpton promotion where hybrids get 50% off valet parking, thrilled we were able to hit on all cylinders!
And as dog owners, love that you are fans of Kimpton's extremely pet-friendly program,All of the amenities that we send up for you and your canine companion are on us, for your convenience and our four legged friends comfort. We look forward to your next trip south to Portland and we look forward to serving you again! Warmest Regards, Sandy Burkett, GM

Reviewed May 2, 2013

Fantastic location, comfy, clean cute room and the best part is the wonderful people who run the hotel. Every time I turned around I felt like someone was going out of their way to make our stay more comfortable. Looking forward to visiting again. Oh! And you get a super cuddly stuffed puppy on your bed - we need two next time because my husband and I both want one! :)

Room Tip: Be sure and sign up for the Kimpton rewards program - you get free internet!!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Talefaio
SandyGM2013, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Vintage Portland, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2013

Dear Talefaio;
Your feedback started my Monday off with gratitude! I appreciate the feedback about our team here at the Vintage Plaza about the wonderful team we have. They truly enjoy serving great people and ensuring a fabulous hotel experience while in Portland. Thanks for noting our location too. We look forward to having you back, soon! Until then, enjoy the journey.
All the best, Sandy Burkett, GM

Reviewed April 30, 2013

The hotel is ok, good restaurant, but I find the for-sale junk that kimpton stuffs it rooms with annoying. If you have kids, I'd imagine the cute animal on the bed becomes a hard sell, because there's no way to avoid it. Everywhere you turn, there's stuff for sale (not just the regular mini-bar contents).
The upgraded king-size bed room on the 8th flow is weird, large, quite empty and without windows except for some roof windows which you don't see directly.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank HKT_13
SandyGM2013, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Vintage Portland, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2013

Dear HTK 13;
I appreciate your feedback on enjoying our service, restaurant and your thoughts about your entire guest experience. Kimpton embraces the entire guest experience. Whether you are traveling for business or pleasure, our goal is to surprise and delight you. We embrace the whimsical animal print robes, zebra socks to keep your feet warm and comfy and yes even something to take home to the kids. I realize that is not for everyone and I appreciate your perspective.

We do have many different room types, of which you appear to have been in an interior room, which is indeed large, having sunlight but no window view. Thank you so much for sharing your travel experience with others. We truly hope to see you return and I am always available to connect with personally to ensure you have the best experience possible with us.
All the best, Sandy Burkett, GM

Reviewed April 28, 2013

I've stayed here a number of times and it's fine for a solo traveler. The silly stuffed animal on the bed and the animal print bathrobes don't do much for me, the rooms are cramped, and the furniture all seems to have been ordered from the standard "boutique hotel" catalog. There was no hair dryer in the room and the bed was a bit lumpy, but overall, not a bad place to stay.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Mark U

Dear Mark U;
Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel. It is pleasing to see that you are a return guest. You had mentioned a few things that were interesting... our decor, somehow seems a bit boutique - generic, which after responding to serveral reviews, this am tickled me a bit, we have 17 different room types here (more than most hotels) including our Garden Spa rooms on the roof, starlight rooms (neither of which you were in on this last visit- based on your review) and yes the remainder of our decor is "boutique standard " in comparison. I hope that you called down when you discovered that there was no hair dryer in the room, so that we could take care of the issue for you and the following traveler. I am always available and would love to meet on your next stay in Portland. Thank you again for your overview. Sandy Burkett, GM

Reviewed April 16, 2013

I have stayed numerous times at the Vintage Plaza in Portland. It is really a great property. The Pazzo restaurant is great and they also have a bakery that is fantastic for a quick morning breakfast if you don't have time for a full breakfast.

They also do a wine happy hour in the lobby that is really nice and well attended.

The rooms are great. Very up to date with a very comfortable bed. Everything is just "really nice". Also, the staff is very friendly and responsive.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank John R
SandyGM2013, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Vintage Portland, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2013

Dear Frequent Traveler at the Vintage Plaza Portland:
I have been spending my time on a flight from San Diego to Seattle responding to our online reviews. Yours made me smile. As a hotelier for 25 years, nothing brings us greater joy than being a road warriors favorite place and friend. We love having the opportunity to get to know you, your expectations, needs and wants... even at a small hotel like ours serves over 100,000 guests annually. When you return, for our staff, we see our friend is returning.

Thank you for your support on this site, letting other travelers see our hotel and the exceptional friendly service that our team provides thru your eyes. We certainly enjoy serving you. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Happy trails! Sandy Burkett, GM