“Disconnect between website and reality ?”

Kimpton Hotel Vintage Portland
Ranked #8 of 144 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

I think my problem with Kimpton hotels is that I get seduced by the website that seems to suggest the staff will bend over backwards for you and be super friendly while doing it. Then when I get there I find a nice hotel with some good amenities - my room had an exercise bike and weights in it! I adore the foam pillows and the fact that they bring you the New York Times. The room itself was nice and clean. That said, the hideabed was so uncomfortable that my son had to make a bed out of the couch pillows and sleep on the floor. We did call the front desk to ask for a foam pad but they could not find one. At check out I was overcharged and the bell service was pretty mediocre. I am not saying it was a bad experience, but it just didn't live up to the hype. An exercise bike in the room does not make it a consummate experience.

• Stayed: March 2013
SandyGM2013, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Vintage Portland, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2013

Dear LeonaHtheQueen;
I love your screen name! I just want to thank you for your candor and overview of your Kimpton Experiences. We are boutique hotels, many in historic buildings which is the blessing and the curse that we face, making the most out of the space that we have to work with. Your review highlighted our strengths and weaknesses. I am pleased that you enjoyed our in room fitness option, though your son did not sleep well and that our team did not make a touch down in follow thru. Thank you for bringing it to our attention, so that we stay focused on all of the basics that our guest experience entails. All the best, Sandy Burkett, GM

Reviewed March 29, 2013

We selected the vintage for its location, which was ideal. The staff was friendly- gave some good reccomendations for nearby bars. Pillows were way too soft, and the "foam" pillows brought up were little help. We had to ask twice for these. Left sign on door the first day that we did not need room made up, took it down the next- housekeeping still did not come. Overall it was a good experience but I think they could have done better with what they had, and am planning to try someplace new next time in Portland.

1  Thank Colin M
SandyGM2013, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Vintage Portland, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2013

We strive to be great, sounds like the location and recommendations from the team were ideal. We have our Kimpton In Touch program that define guest preferences, like firm/feather/foam or fluffy pillows, so that we may prepare in advance for your arrival and anticipate your preferences. We would love to see you the next time you are in Portland and ensure you are well rested. Thank you for letting us know what rocked and what did not.
All the best, Sandy Burkett, GM

Reviewed March 29, 2013

I stay frequently at the Vintage when visiting my family. I love this classically elegant hotel, the wonderful staff and location. I love the corner rooms as well as the suites. I have known Michael for over six years. They took very good care of me when my father passed away. I will never forgot the special service they provided me and I will always be loyal to this wonderful staffed hotel.

Room Tip: Corner higher floor and the suites are gorgeous.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
SandyGM2013, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Vintage Portland, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2013

Sunnynlajolla;
I loved loved loved reading your review and want to thank you for taking the time to detail out all of the staff and services that you love about the Vintage Plaza here in Portland. Your words mean the world to our staff. We read all reviews at our daily line up. We look forward, as always, to having you back, I hope to meet you next time you are in town. We love to serve! Happy trails, Sandy Burkett GM

Reviewed March 27, 2013 via mobile

I am a kimpton rewards member. We booked our room on January 8 for a late March two night stay mid week for my husband's conference. We did not get a good rate. We did not get a good room. Do not stay on the south side. You will not enjoy the bell from the Marriott parking garage every time (1000 times) they exit with valet parking. Request a room high up on the west side (facing west) as that is a bank and presumably a lot less noisy. Worst night's sleep I've had all year!

2  Thank laurie c

Dear Laurie C;
I am thrilled to hear that you are a KIT member and that you were looking forward to your stay. Your feedback clearly let us know that we fell short and that you are certain we can do better. I agree with you. I look forward to seeing you return and us getting it right. Thank you again for letting us know how you felt. All the best, Sandy Burkett, GM

Reviewed March 26, 2013

Cute boutique hotel in typical Kimpton tradition. My room was smaller than most offered at the same brand/different location and was more traditionally decorated, but was very tasteful and elegant.

Byron at the front desk was a wonderful host, making sure I had an umbrella when going for a walk, and offering a pet goldfish to keep me company in my room!

Great lobby, very sleek. Didn't attend the wine tasting, but its always a nice touch if you get the chance.

Room Tip: I was in room 1007 which was a corner room. I think that was one of the factors that made it smalle...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Dear "wish I had more time in Portland" with the 5 Star review~
Please come back and bring all your friends! Seriously, your feedback made our entire team smile. Can't wait to serve you again. All the best, Sandy Burkett, GM

Reviewed March 24, 2013

I have known of this hotel for many years on visits to Portland, Oregon. It has a well-known restaurant on the street level - Pazzo's - which is a favourite of Portlanders for years. On a recent trip to PDX we decided to stay at the Vintage Plaza.
We upgraded to a 'starlight room' on the 10th floor and visited in the 'low season', getting terrific value for money to be right in the heart of the city.
The staff are professional, welcoming and kind. We enjoyed the space and light in our room, had a really comfortable bed with high quality bedding; but found the furnishings a little tired and in need of refurbishment. Indeed, the theme of the room seems focused on romantic trysts than out-of-town visitors (there is a cuddly toy on the bed, themed dressing-gowns with leopard print etc.).
Sleep quality was excellent as we were remote from street noise, and higher floors are probably recommended.
There is a wine reception from 1700 to 1800 daily which is a nice welcoming touch for guests.
At the end of the day: the location and staff make this place a great success - 2 blocks to Pioneer Square and the Max to the airport. Would happily stay again.

Room Tip: Choose a higher floor if possible as there are normal street noises through the night as in any larg...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Fine Hotel On Broadway- you've got me singing!
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience staying with us during your recent trip to Portland. We truly appreciate your comments and look forward to seeing you again in the future.
All the best, Sandy Burkett, GM

Reviewed March 23, 2013

Our overall impression of the Vintage Park was it was workmanlike. The room was very small, but with a comfortable bed. I felt like I was in NYC,not Portland! View--none to speak of, although we were on the 10th floor. We did appreciate that the top 4 floors were non-pet (but neither was it hypo-allergenic).

The overall amenity level, however was much lower than other hotels in the area. Bathroom is small, shampoos and such are in wall mounted bottles--so no small designer conditioners to take home and learn about. However, the snacks and paid item selection (socks, stuffed animals) are a bit more elaborate--fridge a little less so. No coffee maker in room, but you can request one.

It's just a smaller, smaller, and smaller hotel compared to properties in the area. I would not return. I do think the Kimpton's other properties are much better though and at least they have nice, sharp people who work here.

Room Tip: 1007 is a very small room with a sad view of the work areas of other roofs. It is quiet so far thou...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LeCreuset

Dear traveler;
Thank you for sharing your feedback on your love of Kimpton and that our staff served you well. I also realize that there are additional areas that you believe we can improve. Thank you. We take all guest comments seriously and value what you share. Enjoy your journey, Sandy Burkett, GM