“One of Portland's Best” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersGold level
Portland, Oregon
“One of Portland's Best”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2012

We live in Portland but wanted to have a fun weekend, I went looking for a downtown hotel that had a hot-tub and found the Hotel Vintage. The Garden Spa room was incredible, very clean and so comfortable, we were on the 9th floor and with these rooms being on the corners of the building the views were great. I will be staying at Hotel Vintage again and highly recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
VintagePlazaHotel, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Vintage Portland, responded to this review, March 23, 2012
Thank you for your review. The garden spa rooms and their city views are incredible! Thank you for taking the time to share here on Trip Advisor. We hope to have you with us again soon
Warm Regards,
Asst General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
Central Valley
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2012

We have stayed at Vintage Plaza several times over the years -- as well as at other Kimpton properties. The staff at Vintage Plaza is always friendly, helpful and courteous. The lobby is attractive and the adjoining Pazzo's restaurant/bar is consistently good. The location is excellent for exploring downtown Portland. However, the current renovation is an unappealing distraction. Our room this time was small and poorly laid out. With no window that opened, it seemed stuffy with poor circulation. The pillows were excessively soft and flat. It would be easier to overlook these issues at a less expensive venue. However, Kimpton's quality should more more adequately reflect the price.

Room Tip: Ask for an exterior room on the third floor or above.
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Qualityquests
VintagePlazaHotel, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Vintage Portland, responded to this review, March 2, 2012
Thank you for taking time to tell others about your stay with us. I am very sorry that we did not meet all your expectations. We strive to provide the best possible stay for all of our guests. Current improvements will be completed middle of March. We hope to have you with us again when they are complete.
Seattle, WA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 29, 2012

I just made a spur of the moment trip to Portland with friends and ended up at Hotel Vintage Plaza on account of both their proximity to Powell's and the good deal offered to AAA customers. I've stayed at Kimpton hotels before so knew to expect a nice stay. Even still, I was pleasantly surprised by the warm, genuine, friendly service. What a great group of people!

The room was a pleasant design, clean, and made even more delightful by the goldfish they delivered to keep us company.

This is now my first place choice of hotels for trips to Portland.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us. It is helpful when people are looking for accommodations to be able to hear directly from others who have had first-hand experience. Our location is superb for visiting Portland!
Best,
Asst. General Manager
Ashland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 29, 2012

We've been staying at Kimptons for many years and keep coming back to the Vintage Plaza. This visit was great as always. As an intouch member, our welcome treat was very appreciated and the room comfortable and roomy with the staff supporting any needs we had. Happy hour is always great. We highly recommend the Vintage Plaza!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking time to tell others about your stay with us. We hope to have you with us again soon..
Vancouver, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 29, 2012

My husband and I chose to stay @ the Hotel Vintage Plaza in PDX for our 20 year anniversary. I was very nervous staying in a hotel that I had not previously done business with. Everything had to be perfect for this night. I noticed a couple of discrepancies on website regarding the rooms and the package so I emailed my questions. I promptly received clarification within 1/2 an hour of sending the email. There was an error that was discovered in room upgrade descriptions and they would correct it. However, for my trouble they would upgrade us to the King Spa Suite (prev. Starlight Room) Marianne from the hotel was very patient explaining that both are two very nice rooms...just very different. She kindly held both rooms for me to look at and choose at time of check in since I was having a hard time deciding which would be perfect to complete the evening! I signed up for the Kimpton In touch and also reeived a "Raid the Bar" coupon for $10 worth of items in the room and free Internet. We ended up choosing the King Spa Suite and it was very accomodating, spacious and wonderful for couples, business or families. After dinner we came back to the room to find rose petals on the bed with turndown service, chocolates and champagne...soft romantic music playing in background and dimmed lights created a very romantic atmosphere. Not only did Marianne offer the room upgrade but she also applied a $50 credit for Pazzo's to the room for bringing the error to her attention. This far exceeded my expectation. My intention was to just bring it to attention and get clarification to my confusion. We used the credit to enjoy breakfast in bed. What a wonderful way to wrap up stay! In a day when customer service is so important, it has been my experinece to find it a rarity in many hotels and chains. However....I was very impressed from the time the valet took our car, the front desk checked us in and the bellman showed us to our room and throughout the stay. In general I have higher expectations than most and maybe why I usually feel disappointed. I can confidently say they exceeded mine with this stay and have earned a repeat customer. I highly recommend this hotel and the King Spa Suite. (Great work area, romantic for couples, large for entertaining or families and the hotel even offers the opportunity to adopt a Goldfish to care for during your stay...what a great idea if you have kids!)

1 Thank pcassity
Thanks so much for taking time to comment about your stay. Glad you enjoyed your stay. It was my pleasure to assist.
We hope you'll come back soon.
La Paz, BCS, Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2012

We look forward to Portland every year! While here on business in the area, we always stay downtown, park the car for a couple days and just explore! From Jake's, to Powell City to the Oyster bay it is all within walking distance of the VP. We have stayed at properties next door and down the street as well, and after this year, we will never stay anywhere besides the Hotel Vintage Plaza again. Staff is excellent, beds amazing and everything from the wine tasting everynight to the Restaurant and bakery are yummy!!! Say hello to "Georgie" the four footed greeter who was sitting on her pillow and helped to check us in!!!

Room Tip: Ask for one of the bigger rooms/suites. Worth the little extra!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Tailhuntress
VintagePlazaHotel, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Vintage Portland, responded to this review, February 28, 2012
Thanks so much for sending in a review of your stay. We strive to provide the best service possible. Great to hear we met your expectations!
Eugene, Oregon
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2012

My husband and I chose to use one of my Kimpton reward nights last weekend at the Hotel Vintage Plaza, taking the opportunity to have one final child-free weekend before our 2nd child is born. My experiences with Kimpton hotels have generally been impeccable. The Cypress (in Cupertino, CA) is my home-away-from-home, and is amazing (and consistently so) from the accommodations, to the staff, to the food... I’ve never had a negative word to say about Kimpton hotels. I've stayed at the Hotel Monaco San Fran, the Grand Hotel in Minneapolis, the Alexis in Seattle, and the Hotel Monaco in Portland - all fantastic experiences, especially as a Kimpton In-touch member. Our last stay at the Alexis was a rewards night as well, and the room itself was bigger than my first apartment (and of course significantly better furnished).
When we arrived at the Vintage, the hotel was undergoing renovations (which we had not been apprised of while I was booking the reservation), and along with the mess in the hallways, the elevators were literally terrifying. Once we made it to our room on the 9th floor, I immediately thought there had been a mistake – I’ve seen larger rooms in cheap motels. I knew it was NOT a mistake, as the staff had left us an iced bottle of sparkling cider and a welcome note addressed to me (very nice gesture – that definitely reassured me this was in fact a Kimpton hotel). Despite the thoughtful gift, there was hardly any room to move between the furniture, and the bathroom was so tiny it had 3” wide shelves instead of countertops. I spoke with the attendant at the front desk to confirm a mistake had not been made with our room, and the woman was immediately defensive and combative. I’m guessing my inquiry wasn’t her first. Very un-Kimpton-like service from the desk. Very un-Kimpton-like room quality. Wishing we had gone to the Monaco again, or at least saved the free night for a Seattle or New York property where a tiny room is over-shadowed by location. And last of all, thanking the heavens that we hadn’t paid the appx. $250/night with taxes we’d have been charged otherwise for this same room. What happened here, Kimpton?

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Thank you very much for your review. We are very sorry your stay was not a positive experience. We are in the process of completing a small renovation for some of our rooms and we sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced during your stay. We expected this to be completed by March 20th or earlier.