“Stylish boutique luxury with marvelous ambiance and a superb staff”

Kimpton Hotel Vintage Portland
Ranked #11 of 146 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed July 15, 2011

Everything about the Vintage Plaza is exceptional. From the excellent customer service, great location, easy airport access with MAX, great fitness center with individual TV headphones, fun happy hour and great beds in a very well appointed room to Georgie,the darling Javanese dog that will greet you and your pet with treats at check in.
Once you stay here you will know you have found your home away from home in Portland.
They even have a room with a hot tub on the balcony overlooking downtown Portland.
I would call Hotel Vintage Plaza a stylish boutique luxury hotel, with marvelous ambiance and a superb staff.

Room Tip: something special ask for the hot garden spa room or the starlight room
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
SandyGM2013, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Vintage Portland, responded to this reviewResponded November 24, 2014

Thank you for your 5 STAR review!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,370)

Reviewed July 11, 2011

We had another wonderful stay at to Hotel Vintage Plaza! It was 4th of July weekend and everything was perfect from the moment we arrived and the bellboy greeted us, the front desk upgraded our room free of charge and we received a coupon for $10 of mini bar refreshments( a Kimpton in touch perk), The concierge was very helpful with restaurant choices, of which there are many in Portland. The complimentary wine hour is a fun way to be sociable and meet other people. The location is wonderful for walking along the river and restaurants. The only negative we had was the our Keurig coffee pot in our room did not work.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank voyageurfoodie
VintagePlazaHotel, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Vintage Portland, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2011

Thank you for your review here on Trip Advisor. Holidays are a great time to visit us. I will be sure to have the Kurig coffee makers looked at to ensure they are all working properly. We hope to see you again very soon!

Reviewed June 29, 2011

Kimpton is my favorite hotel chain, because rather than having some sterile cookie-cutter for every hotel they really go out of their way to emphasis a unique style for every property. Their hotels reflect the character of their surroundings, and provide a luxurious and well appointed alternative to the Starwood/Marriott/etc business chains.

The Vintage Plaza was no exception, and my only regret was that I was only able to stay for one night. I stayed with my daughter in a standard 2 queen room. I was able to enjoy the complimentary wine hour, and was so happy to see a k-cup coffee maker with a few extra servings for the next morning. The hotel is even pet-friendly, and their Diva of Pet Relations, Georgie, is possibly the best hostess I've ever met.

Price to value is amazing! I'm not sure where else I could stay in a 4-star hotel in a big city for the price we paid.

Small nit: the towel rack in the shower was quite rusty. Fortunately, when I reported this to the front desk they assured me that rooms were undergoing some maintenance and she put my room at the top of the list for replacement of the towel rack. Otherwise, the room was exceptionally well maintained.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank smadison

Thank you so much for sharing your stay with others here on Trip Advisor. Georgie our Diva of Pet Relations loves to greet our guests.
We hope to see you again very soon!
Jeri Riggs
General manager and Gerogie!

Reviewed June 28, 2011

A last minute trip required us to search for a last minute hotel. Unbeknown to us, Rose Parade/Fleet Week was the same weekend, so a lot of hotels were either overbooked or overpriced.

Honestly, I was a little bit reluctant to book a Kimpton hotel even though I've been a Kimpton member for years. Our last experience at a Kimpton in SF (which now I just realized I never wrote about) was horrible and so un-Kimpton like that I stopped staying at Kimpton, at least till this visit to Portland.

The check in process was relatively quick and easy. The staff was friendly, attentive and generally interested in assisting. The Valet was especially helpful and friendly.

We were upgraded without even having to request for it, which was nice. A letter from the GM welcoming us was a nice touch also (Hi Jeri Riggs, though I didn't meet you, thanks for the note) But that's very typical Kimpton. I've gotten a handwritten letter from the GM before, which honestly was nicer than the typed letter, but that's not a big deal. It's the thought that counts.

I follow their PR people on Twitter, so with a check in code, we also received a bottle of wine, which was nice.

Room:
I don't know how small their regular room is, but the "suite" honestly is not that big. It's comfortable, but I definitely wouldn't call it a suite. From the pictures, it looks like the only difference between this "suite" and the regular room is the extra couch in the so-called suite. I probably wouldn't pay extra for the extra couch.

Bed:
We both thought the bed was super comfortable; however, their pillows were soooo fluffy but flat that we both woke up with stiff neck. After my 3 night stay, my chiropractor definitely had some challenges "fixing me"

Location: A+++. Walking distance to pretty much everything downtown Portland has to offer.

Price: very reasonable for the location and what you get.

Minor issues we encountered:

- Internet: We didn't have any problem connecting the first night, but that's the only time it worked. We had such trouble connecting to the WiFi, we ended up giving up and using the Mr's phone instead.

- heads up, this is just MY pet peeve, so skip ahead if you're not a coffee drinker or could careless about coffee machine. Having a K-cup machine in the room is a nice touch, BUT, only if it works! Just to clarify, I know that some people have difficulty figuring it how to work it, but we have one at home, so we do know how to work it. The reason I mentioned this is because when we called to get a new one sent in, whoever was the one alluded to the fact that perhaps we didn't know how to work it and would send someone to show us how to work it. I'm not a morning person and I can be a real B word before my coffee, so the comment was not appreciated, but I kept my mouth shut. A person was sent in and he confirmed that the machine was broken, and he went to get us a new one. Problem solved... well until it stopped working the next day. What is it with hotels and their Keurig not working? This is not the first time I encountered this problem either. Okay, hotels, listen up, even a simple old fashion coffee machine would be greatly appreciated over something as cool as Keurig that didn't work.

- When we checked in, we were given vouchers for a restaurant attached to the hotel, except we weren't aware of that fact. If I'm not mistaken it's $18/night voucher (maybe lower/higher. I just can't seem to recall the exact amount, sorry). We were only told about what they're for when we checked out. Bummer.. we did eat there, it would have been nice to have been able to use them. Not really a big deal since we could have asked for clarification when given the vouchers, so I'm not really blaming anyone for this.

Overall, we had a very pleasant stay here. Customer Service really did make a difference though; if it wasn't for the Customer service, I would probably have given it a 3 since the hotel itself while nice is really nothing to brag about. But the customer service make s a huge difference in my rating. *Most* really went out of their ways trying to make you feel as comfortable as possible and be helpful as possible.

Will I stay here again? Yes. Will I recommend this place to others? Yes.

Room Tip: Be a Kimpton member
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank SnowPrincess1206

Thank you so much for sharing your stay with others here on Trip Advisor. I found your review very honest and helpful to assist us in continuing to provide the best service possible. I hope other people do to. We hope to see you again very soon!

Reviewed June 20, 2011

Room was gorgeous with all sorts of perks. Hotel is definitely "Pet Friendly." Staff goes out of their way to be friendly, helpful.

Room Tip: Website reservation gave me the best room and bes
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank rbkenter45
VintagePlazaHotel, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Vintage Portland, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2011

Thank you so much for sharing your stay with others here on Trip Advisor. Yes we are pet friendly. I hope you got a chance to meet Georgie our Diva of Pet Relations during your stay with us! We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed June 13, 2011

This was our second time staying at the Vintage Plaza. From check-in through check-out the hotel staff were consistently pleasant and genuinely friendly. Our 9th floor king room appeared recently remodeled and was tastefully furnished. We'd previously stayed in an Executive King Room so had been a bit concerned that this room would feel too small, but that wasn't the case. In addition to the King bed, the room contained a chaise by the window in addition to workstation.

Late night snack room service menu was much appreciated and speedy, especially considering we were there the night of Portland's annual Rose Festival Starlight Parade (which passed the front door of the hotel).

A few other tips for getting a great deal at this (and other Kimpton) hotels: check out their many packages and AAA discounts; look for free valet parking options (otherwise it's $33 a night or $16.50 if you drive a hybrid). We took advantage of an offer that provided a $50 dining credit. Join the chain's InTouch program for special offers, free wi-fi, and rewards including free nights.

If you reserve through their website, you'll often receive a follow-up email to upgrade to a larger room at a great discount.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple

Thank you for staying with us, not once but twice and thank you so much for sharing your stay with others here on Trip Advisor. Great advice for other travelers, we do offer many great packages and rates. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed June 13, 2011

We (husband & I) decided on a last minute weekend trip to Portland to get away and ride our bikes. We used Priceline.ca and chose a 4 star hotel (there were no 5 star options in Portland) for $125.00 and got this one. As soon as we bid, we got confirmation on e-mail right away we got it and so my husband wished he'd bid less!
The location is fabulous, right on the strip 2 blocks to the best shops and shopping mall. Lots of restaurants and the food carts. The Pearl district was steps away.
Our hotel room was spacious and clean and the staff were very attentive and friendly. The hotel had tea & coffee service in the lobby in the morning and wine in the evening gratis for guests. I went to use the business centre and thought it was little expensive for time to use the internet and printing prices...But we did get free wireless by just signing up for some sort of membership, however it was little flaky and cut in and out a bit. Parking was expensive - $30 a night, but we given the option to cross the street and self park for $10. Didn't eat at the hotel restaurant, but they took great care of us for 3 nights. Highly recommend it.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank vancouver_realtor

Thank you so much for sharing your stay with others here on Trip Advisor. We hope to see you again very soon!