WINNER WONDERLAND
Win Big When You Book on TripAdvisor

“Great hotel, great staff on site, disappointing toll-free staff” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Rose - A Piece of Pineapple Hospitality

Hotel Rose - A Piece of Pineapple Hospitality
Ranked #31 of 137 Hotels in Portland
Sacramento, CA
“Great hotel, great staff on site, disappointing toll-free staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2014

We stayed at the Hotel Rose (formerly Hotel 50) and loved it, the location, and the on-site staff. I had been seeking information prior to arrival, and was only able to get to their toll-free line. That staff told me that the hotel had no concierge who could help me plan activities, etc. Also said that the hotel didn't provide robes for guests. When we arrived the front desk staff was fabulous (was it Maurice?) in advising us on various tour options, making reservations and all the things that a concierge would otherwise do. But I wasn't given that option when talking with the toll-free staff. And there were nice robes in our rooms. There really needs to be more communication and the ability for guests to access the hotel staff. The facility was wonderful. Loved the eclectic feel of the decor. Lobby floor is a wonder. The new restaurant, Bottle + Kitchen was great - loved Caleb, our server there.

Location
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Terry H, General Manager at Hotel Rose - A Piece of Pineapple Hospitality, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Hello Judejudy,
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at Hotel Rose. I am pleased that you enjoyed our onsite staff along with our newly renovated lobby and restaurant, Bottle + Kitchen. Thank you for pointing out Caleb and Mitchell. I will definitely pass your comments on to them. Your comments regarding our reservations center have been reviewed with the department manager and opportunities for improvement discussed. I do apologize that we did not exceed your expections in this area. I know your future interactions will be more pleasant.
Thank you Judejudy. We hope to see you back very soon.
Terry Hanley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
  • Korean first
Seattle, Washington, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2014

We stayed the weekend at The Hotel Rose and would definitely return. We drove from Seattle, so had a car. Brenden, the valet, was quite helpful not only during our arrival but during our entire stay. The staff was exceedingly friendly, recommending restaurants nearby. The hotel is close to transit, and walking distance to the Portland Saturday Market, which was a treat. The Waterfront Park is just across the street and both days there were 5K runs going on, but not crowded or chaotic. The room was clean and the bed comfortable. The tram ran right outside our window and we could hear it but it was not disruptive. Complimentary Keurig coffee and bottled water in the room. Individual bags of ice instead of a noisy ice machine. Tommy Bahama bath products in wall dispensers in the glass enclosed shower (I prefer this over the teeny bottles) and fluffy towels. We borrowed bikes and rode over the bridge to see the sunset and take photos of the night skyline (the purpose of our visit). I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Portland.

Sleep Quality
1 Thank HSimmelink
Terry H, General Manager at Hotel Rose - A Piece of Pineapple Hospitality, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
Good morning HSimmelink,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are so pleased that you had such a great time! Thank you for your feedback on Brendens helpfullness along with the rest of the staff. I will definitely pass your comments on to them. I'm pleased that you enjoyed our great location, complimentary bottled water, Keurig coffee maker, our Tommy Bahama amenities and our complimentary bikes. I hope you will return soon so you can do it all over again.
Thank you HSimmelink.
Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2014

My wife and I just returned home from a five night stay here. We'd definitely stay here on a return visit.

Easy check in at the front desk. Friendly staff. No problems leaving out luggage in storage for the day after checking out.

Friendly valet/door person. Having a cooler stocked with water by the door is a nice touch, especially during the 90+ degree heat spell.

Easy access from PDX via MAX. Also convenient to other MAX lines as well as buses for getting around town.

Our third floor room was very nice and the bed was comfortable. Nice bathroom and linens. Our room was at the end of the hallway. Very quiet. We heard the MAX and the occasional car honking outside our window. Not a big deal.

The only hiccup in our room was the room safe. The power wasn't on. It was repaired the next day.

All in, a great visit.

Hello Dave148,
Thank you for making Hotel Rose your home away from home while in Portland. We truly appreciate your comments regarding your recent stay. I am happy that everything worked out so well for you and that you survived our mini heat wave. I am also pleased that you enjoyed our comfortable rooms and great location. We hope your travels have you back in Portland very soon.
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2014

I read the online reviews, but this this gem proved to be amazing. My kids are still raving about how nice the staff was.The beds were comfortable. The location was also really close for evening walks down the water or Voodoo Donuts. I wish I had not gotten a car, since the hotel has bikes and light rails is literally across the street. The staff did a great job accommodating our family which was no small feat. Everyone was really nice, and we felt quite welcome.

Room Tip: I picked off the street, and was quite happy. Parking lot was quiet.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Good morning Arcadia_Traveler,
Thank you for staying with us and for your very nice review. We pride ourselves on having a team of friendly helpful associates so your comments are well received. I was happy to hear you enjoyed our comfortable bed, great location, and complimentary bike program. Portland is such an easy city to get around.
Thank you Arcadia_Traveler. Come back and see us very soon.
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2014

Great location just opposite the waterfront but that does mean it's about 10 minute walk to the centre of town. The hotel tries to be a bit boutique and quirky and has some interesting decor. When I was there, the restaurant was closed for renovations so only a very limited room service was available so I can't comment on the food. Pluses - location, spacious rooms, reasonable internet connection. There is free bike rental, though the bikes are big old single gear cruisers - not much use for anything except a quick ride around the river.

The main reason for marking down was the proximity to the tram line - every time a tram went by, it was very noisy - trams run late into the night and start quite early. Parking was not cheap, though this seems to be the theme in Portland.

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Terry H, General Manager at Hotel Rose - A Piece of Pineapple Hospitality, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Good afternoon ynperth,
Thank you for your recently posted review. I'm happy you enjoyed our great location but disappointed you didn't get a chance to try our new restaurant that opened in early June, Bottle+Kitchen. Hopefully your travels will bring you back to Portland soon and you can give it a try then. It really is fantastic.
Thank you ynperth. We hope you return soon.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here to nights while on a vacation solo. This hotel has recently been remodeled and renamed (previously the Hotel Fifty). Absolutely perfect location right on the waterfront.

The staff is very helpful, particularly the valet (Brandon), who went out of his way to provide special treatment for my electric car. EVers note, they have 2 Blink chargers.

The room is a decent size, but not huge with a comfortable bed and a large flat screen TV. The coffee maker is a trendy Koenig. The decor is hipster modern that seemed strange to me at first, but now I like it.

The hotel has a pleasant looking restaurant & bar as well as room service, but I did not use them, so I cannot rate them.

I got a discounted room rate of $215 which was quite competitive for this time of year.

The only negative is some street noise, particularly from the street car. You could ask for a room on the other side. It did not bother me.

Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Hello bike12345,
Thank you for your review of our hotel. We truly appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback. It sounds like your stay in Portland was enjoyable. I was happy to hear you liked our superb location, great room, and our team of hospitality experts, including Branden. I will pass your comments on to him! Just FYI, we were the first hotel in Oregon to have electric car charging stations so I'm pleased they were helpful.
Thanks bike12345. We hope to see you back in Portland very soon.
Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2014

We booked this room on hotwire and travel quite a bit for both work and personal reasons. We stayed for three nights last week and were not disappointed with this property. Location was great, easy walk anywhere down town and an easy walk over the Morrison bridge to visit one of the many breweries on that side of the river. It was our anniversary and our room had two double beds (my boyfriend is 6'5" so does not fit well on double beds), however we did not ask for another room with a king bed as the room had a balcony which we enjoyed. The beds were very comfortable.
We found the staff very friendly, got a recommendation for dinner from one of the girls at the front desk and visited the Bottle & Kitchen a couple times (don't miss the happy hour oysters and shrimp cocktail!). Overall we would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
      Location
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank Love_2_Travel568
Terry H, General Manager at Hotel Rose - A Piece of Pineapple Hospitality, responded to this review, July 3, 2014
Hello Love_2_ Travel568,
Thank you for the nice review of our hotel. It's so fun to read these when the experience has been so enjoyable. I am pleased that you were able to try our new restaurant, Bottle + Kitchen. I agree, the oysters are amazing! Our location is fantastic as well. Please know for your next visit that we do have balcony rooms with king beds.
Thank you Love_2_Travel568. We hope you have the opportunity to return very soon.