“Great location”

Hotel Rose - A Staypineapple Hotel
Ranked #33 of 146 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed June 17, 2014

The location does not get better: very close to the Willamette River, and within easy walking distance of many major attractions (Powells, various doughnuts, Pioneer Square, and so on). My only complaint is that the hotel can be noisy at night: slamming doors and loud chatting from adjacent rooms, or heavy steps from the floor above. But the staff is nice and the restaurant is pretty good. This is a perfectly fine hotel: not the best, not the worst, perfectly fine.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Terry H, General Manager at Hotel Rose - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2014

Good evening Jeffrey C,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I'm happy that you enjoyed our great team of hospitality professionals and that our location worked out so well for you. It is perfect!
I was disappointed that noise was an issue for you, and I do apologize. We are always looking for ways to make improvements based on our guests feedback. We will review options with our engineering team to see if we can make a difference.
Thank you Jeffrey C. We hope you return very soon.
Terry Hanley

Write a ReviewReviews (1,058)

Reviewed June 15, 2014

My stay at the Hotel Rose came at the end of a vacation road trip through the back country of Washington state. After countless miles of breathtaking scenery, I was ready for a break and some serious creature comforts. Hotel Rose didn't disappoint. My room was nicely appointed and very comfortable -- especially the king bed which had two king-sized, DOWN-FILLED pillows instead of the ridiculous assortment of undersized, prison-quality pillows that the hospitality industry seems to have adopted as its standard. Beyond the impressive comfort and conveniences of the room, I found the staff to be warm and welcoming, especially in the restaurant, and the food was excellent. Being located directly across the street from the Waterfront Parkway was a nice bonus. My stay was an experience well beyond my expectations and one I hope will not be my last.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank sacrbartlett

Hello Sacrbartlett,
Thank you for your fantastic review. I am so pleased that you found us and that you had such a great time! Our beds are the best in the industry and I could not agree with you more about the pillows. They are such an important piece of a good nights sleep. We just opened our new restaurant Bottle + Kitchen so it's great that you were able to try it and enjoyed it so much. We have a great team that is anxious to please, along with very tasty food.
Thanks again Sacrbartlett. We hope to see you back in the very near future.

Reviewed June 14, 2014

I thoroughly enjoyed our two night stay in Portland. The staff were really friendly and went out of their way to be helpful whether it was finding a corkscrew for me or fresh milk for my daughter's tea. The floor in the restaurant was a little startling and the menu a bit fussy but ooverall a good stay. The hotel is well placed for all that Portland has offer and our room had a nice river view.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Sandracpotter

Good evening Sandracpotter,
Thank you for your nice review. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your time here and that our team took good care of you. Our location is perfect and our hospitality experts are the best.
Hopefully your travels will have you back in our fine city very soon.

Reviewed June 13, 2014

My husband and I recently came to Portland (him on business me for pleasure) and we decided to stay at the hotel rose. After reading some of the reviews on tripadvisor I was a little worried about what we had gotten ourselves into and we talked about canceling and changing hotels. I’m so glad we didn’t. Our experience at the Hotel rose was one of the Best. I was worried that there would still be renovations going on but when we arrived the hotel was faultless and the Bottl+Kitchen Restaurant was the icing on the cake so to speak.

We arrived at the hotel around 12:30 AM and I was a little worried that no one would be there (Coming from a small town) but Crystal at the front desk was happy to assist us. She made the check in process fun and easy. She told us of a few places nearby to eat that stayed open late and even a few pizza places that would still deliver.

The room which was a room with a king bed facing the water on the 5th floor was very nice. The bed was very comfortable and the room was very up to date. I realized that I had forgotten to bring my toothbrush and called down to the front desk. I was happy when Crystal answered the phone and told me she would be more than happy to deliver one to the room for me. It took her no time at all.

Breakfast in the morning in the restaurant was perfect. One reason I came to Portland was for the food and shopping but after breakfast that first day it was hard to eat anywhere else. Plus the staff in restaurant although seemed a little flustered where very friendly and accommodating.

The location of the hotel is also perfect. Not very far from anything you may need. Plus with free bikes and nice valet staff to help you with directions how could you go wrong.

Anyways all and all The Hotel Rose was amazing from the staff, to the room and the location. When we return to Portland we will DEFFINATLYY be staying here again. Only next time we will plan to stay longer than just two nights.

P.S. I forgot to mention that I’m not sure what the hotel/Restaurant looked like before the renovation but I was blown away. It has a very quirky vibe and as far as I can tell is very Portland.

Room Tip: Pick a water front room. It has an amazing view.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Small_Town_Girl42004
Terry H, General Manager at Hotel Rose - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2014

Hello Small_Town_Girl,
Thank you for the great reveiw of our hotel. We are so pleased that you had such a nice time while in Portland. I was happy to hear that Crystal and the rest of the team were a highlight of you visit. We love to hear that!! I was also pleased that you were able to try our new restaurant, Bottle + Kitchen. We are very excited to have it up and running, along with our new lobby. We have more good things coming later on this year!
Thanks again Small_Town_Girl. We hope to see you back in Portland very soon.
Warm Regards,

Reviewed June 12, 2014

This had a very nice room layout. There was a big open desk space with a power strip right on it, without a ton of random stuff in the way so you could actually set up your laptop. There was a Keurig coffee maker in the room and the bed was comfortable. It has been newly renovated so everything still looks very nice and new.

They must not have used the right kind of window glass or wall insulation, because any time a truck goes by the entire room rumbles and is loud. The hotel is located right next to a bridge on-ramp, so this happens pretty much all day long. We heard people stomping around above us as well, but that wasn't nearly as bad as the rumbling from trucks accelerating onto the ramp. It was basically impossible to sleep past 6:30 in the morning once rush hour started, even with my laptop playing white noise loudly.

The thermostat in the rooms were also miscalibrated or something. We had two rooms (we tried moving after the first night to make the sound situation better) and both of them I couldn't keep the room anywhere around 70-76. The thermostat was just an analog dial, and if you set it to 70 the room stayed about 80. If you set it to 65 the room stayed at like 60.

If you could fall asleep in the middle of a Harley convention you might be OK with the noise, but otherwise I would find somewhere quieter.

Room Tip: Odd numbered rooms are much quieter because they aren't on the on-ramp side. The view is a littl...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Drooo
Terry H, General Manager at Hotel Rose - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2014

Good morning Droo,
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at Hotel Rose. I was happy to hear that you enjoyed our spacious guest rooms, Keurig coffee maker, and that you like our newly renovated lobby and restaurant. We have more great things coming in the fall! I was sorry to hear that the city noise was an issue. We love our location but unfortunately the proximity to the city comes with this opportunity. Fortunately there are many area's of the property that are great for people sensitive to noise.
Thank you again Droo. I do hope we see you back at Hotel Rose very soon.

Reviewed June 11, 2014

The hotel formally known as Hotel Fifty, now under Pineapple Hospitality. They are currently renovating the place, the lobby and restaurant was under constructions during my stay but it looks like they are almost done (1-2 weeks at most). The staff is very friendly and accommodating. Their amenities are pretty good too. They offer complementary cupcakes, brewed coffee or tea (Keurig in your room), bottled water, bike share, and internet access without annoying login screens (speeds are decent too). The gym is small, but still very usable and most importantly clean. On site parking is also available ($15/night self parking or $20/night for valet with in and out privileges) and I found it reasonably price considering you're in downtown. The hotel is located next to the park on the river and within walking distance to everything in downtown. I really liked this hotel, but my biggest issue with it is that the walls are extremely thin. You hear the Lightrail trains, which is right outside all night. Every conversation that my neighbor had, I could hear even if I didn't want to. I'm just glad they didn't talk in to the wee hours of the night. Every time they opened and closed their door, it sounded like they were coming in to my room.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank FoodGek
Terry H, General Manager at Hotel Rose - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2014

Good morning FoodGek,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I was pleased to see that you took advantage of our great amenites such as our complimentary bike program, delicious cupcakes and coffee every afternoon in the lobby, free WIFI, fitness center, and of course our friendly hospitality team. I am sorry that noise levels were an issue for you. I do apologize for that. If you would like to send me a private message with either your last name or your room number I would like to investigate that room to see if it's a simple fix by reinsulating the wall plugs. Sometimes it's that simple.
Thank you again FoodGek. Based on your Tripadvisor handle you will need to come back and see us now that Bottle + Kitchen is open. The place looks fantastic and the food, beverage, and service is even better.

Reviewed June 8, 2014

I can not begin to say how accommodating this hotel was when I visited Portland the week of Memorial Day. Not only did the hotel allow me to check in early, but they were able to give me a room with a beautiful view of the river and there was no noise coming from the street in our room. So my advice is to request for a "river view room". I was fortunate enough to have gone to Portland when I did because the Portland City Festival was going on the same weekend and it was literally across the street from our hotel. Art, the front desk manager, was so AWESOME! I was fortunate enough to be given comp tickets from Art to the festival so that was a generous and unexpected bonus during my trip.

The hotel had super cute yellow cruiser bikes for guests to use and I totally took advantage of this great perk. I loved how the hotel was located in the heart of downtown and was close and convenient to public transportation. There were stores such as Nordstrom Rack and Ross located a few blocks away from the hotel which was perfect for me since I love to shop and there's no sales tax. I come from San Jose, California where I pay for sales tax so being in Portland with no sales tax was a huge incentive and excuse for me to shop. The hotel was still undergoing renovations in the restaurant and lobby area but honestly that didn't brother me at all because it's not like I'm in Portland to hang out in the hotel. The amenities inside the room were great! The room was super clean which is important to me since I'm a huge germ freak. The room was pretty modernized and had everything I needed; there was a nice flat screen tv, refrigerator, Keurig machine with a variety of K-cup coffee flavors and tea, free water bottles, and Tommy Bahama hand soap, lotion, shampoo/conditioner, and body wash gel in dispensers inside the bathroom. I would absolutely 110% recommend you choose Hotel Rose while visiting Portland. I know where I'll be staying at when I return to Portland :). Shoutout to Art and his team for making everything so accommodating and memorable! -Guests in Room #507

Room Tip: Request for a river view room to avoid street traffic noise
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Anet3040
Terry H, General Manager at Hotel Rose - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2014

Good morning Anet3040,
WOW, thank you for your fantastic comments! I am so pleased that you had such a good time while staying at Hotel Rose. I will definitely let Art know he helped make your trip special.
You will definitely have to return soon so you can try out our new restaurant Bottle + Kitchen. So far the reveiws are very positive and everyone is loving it.
We hope to see you back in Portland very soon.