“Great Location and Good Amenities, But Really Thin Walls”

Hotel Rose - A Staypineapple Hotel
Ranked #33 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed June 11, 2014

The hotel formally known as Hotel Fifty, now under Pineapple Hospitality. They are currently renovating the place, the lobby and restaurant was under constructions during my stay but it looks like they are almost done (1-2 weeks at most). The staff is very friendly and accommodating. Their amenities are pretty good too. They offer complementary cupcakes, brewed coffee or tea (Keurig in your room), bottled water, bike share, and internet access without annoying login screens (speeds are decent too). The gym is small, but still very usable and most importantly clean. On site parking is also available ($15/night self parking or $20/night for valet with in and out privileges) and I found it reasonably price considering you're in downtown. The hotel is located next to the park on the river and within walking distance to everything in downtown. I really liked this hotel, but my biggest issue with it is that the walls are extremely thin. You hear the Lightrail trains, which is right outside all night. Every conversation that my neighbor had, I could hear even if I didn't want to. I'm just glad they didn't talk in to the wee hours of the night. Every time they opened and closed their door, it sounded like they were coming in to my room.

1  Thank FoodGek
Terry H, General Manager at Hotel Rose - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2014

Good morning FoodGek,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I was pleased to see that you took advantage of our great amenites such as our complimentary bike program, delicious cupcakes and coffee every afternoon in the lobby, free WIFI, fitness center, and of course our friendly hospitality team. I am sorry that noise levels were an issue for you. I do apologize for that. If you would like to send me a private message with either your last name or your room number I would like to investigate that room to see if it's a simple fix by reinsulating the wall plugs. Sometimes it's that simple.
Thank you again FoodGek. Based on your Tripadvisor handle you will need to come back and see us now that Bottle + Kitchen is open. The place looks fantastic and the food, beverage, and service is even better.
Terry Hanley

Write a ReviewReviews (1,020)

Reviewed June 8, 2014

I can not begin to say how accommodating this hotel was when I visited Portland the week of Memorial Day. Not only did the hotel allow me to check in early, but they were able to give me a room with a beautiful view of the river and there was no noise coming from the street in our room. So my advice is to request for a "river view room". I was fortunate enough to have gone to Portland when I did because the Portland City Festival was going on the same weekend and it was literally across the street from our hotel. Art, the front desk manager, was so AWESOME! I was fortunate enough to be given comp tickets from Art to the festival so that was a generous and unexpected bonus during my trip.

The hotel had super cute yellow cruiser bikes for guests to use and I totally took advantage of this great perk. I loved how the hotel was located in the heart of downtown and was close and convenient to public transportation. There were stores such as Nordstrom Rack and Ross located a few blocks away from the hotel which was perfect for me since I love to shop and there's no sales tax. I come from San Jose, California where I pay for sales tax so being in Portland with no sales tax was a huge incentive and excuse for me to shop. The hotel was still undergoing renovations in the restaurant and lobby area but honestly that didn't brother me at all because it's not like I'm in Portland to hang out in the hotel. The amenities inside the room were great! The room was super clean which is important to me since I'm a huge germ freak. The room was pretty modernized and had everything I needed; there was a nice flat screen tv, refrigerator, Keurig machine with a variety of K-cup coffee flavors and tea, free water bottles, and Tommy Bahama hand soap, lotion, shampoo/conditioner, and body wash gel in dispensers inside the bathroom. I would absolutely 110% recommend you choose Hotel Rose while visiting Portland. I know where I'll be staying at when I return to Portland :). Shoutout to Art and his team for making everything so accommodating and memorable! -Guests in Room #507

Room Tip: Request for a river view room to avoid street traffic noise
1  Thank Anet3040
Terry H, General Manager at Hotel Rose - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2014

Good morning Anet3040,
WOW, thank you for your fantastic comments! I am so pleased that you had such a good time while staying at Hotel Rose. I will definitely let Art know he helped make your trip special.
You will definitely have to return soon so you can try out our new restaurant Bottle + Kitchen. So far the reveiws are very positive and everyone is loving it.
We hope to see you back in Portland very soon.

Reviewed June 7, 2014

My wife and I recently had occasion to visit downtown Portland. We chose to stay at the Hotel Rose because of it's convenient location next to the Willamette River. From the moment we pulled up to the valet, we found the level of service to be excellent. Everyone went out of their way to be helpful and friendly. This hotel has been substantially renovated and was in fact undergoing a lobby facelift when we were there. The front desk took great care to locate us in a room well away from the noise and dust of the front reception area. We were given a room with a lovely view over the river and the waterfront walkway. We found the room to be well appointed with quality furnishings and bed linens. We needed help with a couple things in the room and found the front desk to be great and prompt. The restaurant and bar were closed during our stay due to the renovation. We will definitely check them out on our next trip there. And yes, there will be another stay at the Hotel Rose. We were completely satisfied and received great value for our money.

Room Tip: Watch for a Groupon deal for this hotel. It's crazy good value.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Hello Philip M,
Thank you for staying with us while visiting from up north. I was happy to hear that our team took good care of you while you were here. Our new restaurant Bottle + Kitchen opened on June 6th and we are excited to have you come back and try it. The food is fantastic!
Thank you Philip M. We hope to see you back very soon.

Reviewed June 4, 2014

We stayed here for one night in a king room on the second floor. The remodel of the lobby looks great, and everyone who worked there was very friendly and helpful. When we checked in we were given a map of the area and got some restaurant recommendations. The room itself looks updated as well, with modern furnishings in the bedroom and a bathroom with a giant shower. The room also has a lot of good amenities, including a Keurig coffee maker and an umbrella to use if it rains. The location is also really convenient for walking around downtown Portland. The only drawback to the hotel was the loud noise from the MAX stop that we could hear quite clearly from our room on the downtown side of the hotel. We would recommend this hotel to anyone looking to stay in downtown Portland but would suggest requesting a higher floor or earplugs.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TigerGirl11

Hello TigerGirl11,
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay. It sounds like you had an enjoyable time and took advantage of our great location, our terrific amenities, and our fantastic hospitality team. The renovation is 99% complete and does look great, thank you for noticing!
We hope you have the opportunity to return soon so you can take advantage of our new restaurant Bottle + Kitchen which opened on the 6th.

Reviewed June 2, 2014

This was one of the worst hotel stays I've ever experienced which is saying a lot considering that I travel extensively. The front lobby was being renovated. The bistro was closed. I would have appreciated knowing this when making the reservation. All guests should have been provided with a list of alternative places to dine.

We stayed 5 nights on the top floor (5th) in a queen bed room with a riverfront view. The room was well equipped with iron, ironing board, hair dryer, coffee and tea set and a multiple outlet console on the desk (including USB ports). Bathroom is small and dated. Those were the pros.

The cons are almost numorous. At one point, it was almost impossible to cross the lobby in the morning due to all the workers carrying on with the renovation activities. There were no signs around asking guests to be careful of certain areas under construction. There were wires hanging from the ceiling and paper floor coverings taped together on the ground. An accident waiting to happen...

We came back to the hotel late every night and there was no one there to valet park even though this is offered as a "service" for $20 per night. Needless to say, other than one night, the rest was free since we had to park the car ourselves. Not that this is a hardship, but if the service is offered, it should also be available for use. At the very least there should have been a sign out front explaining there was no one on duty and to (??) park the car ourselves?

Hotel staff all had a friendly smile on their faces but the front desk clerk barely looked up from the computer any time we passed by. Other staff strolled in an out of the bistro construction site, but never offered an explanation or suggested alternative dining arrangements.

The hotel itself is dated in decor and furnishings. The lobby is very small and poorly lit. There are no clear signs indicating that the hotel offers free bicycle rentals. Also, there were no clearly visible markings for the fitness room.

For the price we paid to stay in downtown Portland, this was hands down an aweful experience. We would have been better off at a local motel 6. I would only stay at this hotel again if it was offered for free.

Room Tip: You're better off choosing a room one the fourth or fifth floor of the hotel otherwise you end u...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank 781mr
Terry H, General Manager at Hotel Rose - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2014

Good evening M R,
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at our hotel. I certainly do apologize that you were not informed of our recent remodel. We attempted to inform as many of our guests as possibe but clealy we missed you, and I am sorry for that. The good news is that we are done at the end of this week and it's looking fantastic. I do hope you will give us another try and come and see the results. I'm sure you will be pleased.
Thank you M R. We hope to see you back in Portland very soon.

Reviewed May 29, 2014

We stayed four nights in a top-floor (5th) riverfront room which is probably the quietest available. The staff was friendly and helpful and the rooms were reasonably priced for the excellent location (Morrison & Riverfront). One could easily get by without a car using the fantastic Portland public transport system. It's especially nice if you are an "honored citizen" (senior) and can ride for a buck. That said, the hotel has just changed ownership and they were in the middle of a MAJOR refresh. The restaurant was gutted, different areas of the lobby were sheathed in plastic each time we walked through and the outside was getting power-washed during the day. Basically there were no services but that was not important to us as we walked the several blocks to Mother's Bistro for breakfast. It should be great when finished. I'd stay again.

Room Tip: I think upper-floor (4/5) riverfront rooms would be quieter. There is a MAX stop on the downtown sid...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
Terry H, General Manager at Hotel Rose - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2014

Good evening oceanbeachster,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am so pleased you enjoyed your time here, particularily our fantastic hospitality team, location, and water front rooms. We truly appreciate your patience while we put the finishing touches on our lobby and restaurant remodel. We should be done this week and it's going to be fantastic!!
Thank you oceanbeachster. We hope to see you back soon so you can see our new space.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

We took the train from Seattle and was able to walk from the train station to the hotel. This hotel is ideally located for those without a car wanting to experience downtown Portland. We walked most places but were thrilled to borrow the complimentary bikes and ride around the river! What a fun thing to do! Hotel was remodel of the lobby space which didn't bother us but I look forward to seeing it completed! The rooms were very clean and the beds the ultimate in comfort. I often have trouble sleeping in hotels but slept like a baby all 3 nights we were here. Staff was attentive and responsive. I look forward to staying here again the next time we come to Portland!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Terry H, General Manager at Hotel Rose - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2014

Good afternoon macquave,
Thank you for your very nice review. We were very happy that you took advantage of our very convenient location, enjoyed our guest rooms, and went for a ride on our bikes. I was also pleased you enjoyed our fantastic hospitality team. Portland is such a walking/biking friendly city. We appreciate your patience and understanding while we complete our re-model. It will be done in a few days and is going to be spectacular. We hope you have the opportunity to return soon so you can see the final results.
Thank you macquave.