“Pleasant surprise”

Ranked #30 of 140 Hotels in Portland
Huntington Beach, CA
“Pleasant surprise”
Reviewed May 22, 2014

If I had known they were constructing the lobby while I was there I would not have made my reservations for 2 nights. It was tricky getting into the hotel (through the garage) but once I checked in I was happy to be here. The staff were very friendly . The rooms are very clean and well appointed. The location is perfect downtown and I had a river view. The person taking my reservation said they were booked but I found out when I checked in that they were not. The river view is more expensive.It is a half a block to Max to get to the airport. I did not mind the traffic noise but I did get wakened up by the train blowing its horn at 4:40am. I would stay here again and would recommend it to people.

Room Tip: River view and higher floors are nice but since I basically just slept there it was not necessary.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Terry H, General Manager at Hotel Rose - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this review, May 26, 2014
Good afternoon Marielle S.
Thank you for your most favorable reveiw of our hotel I was so pleased to hear you enjoyed your time with us. I truly appreciate your patience and understanding with regards to our lobby and restaurant remodel. We are a few short days away from it being completed so hopefully your future travels will bring you back to Portland so you can see the final results. It's going to be fantastic!!
Thank you Marielle S. We hope to see you soon.
Terry Hanley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
  • Korean first
Canada
Reviewed May 20, 2014

We booked at this Hotel because it was very inexpensive and great location, block or two away from everything else downtown and across the street from the river, plus they rent free bikes.

So expectations were low, but we were very impressed. The hotel seems newly renovated, so the room was in great shape with new fixtures, furniture, etc. It wasn't the largest room, but this is not Las Vegas. I've stayed in rooms half this size in Portland in much more expensive hotels. It was very comfortable and pleasure to return to after shopping or a night out.

They even had cupcakes and coffee at the reception during check-in hours. Parking is under the hotel and is inexpensive. But beware where you park, cause your car will be covered in lint from their dryer vents. :)

The hotel is right next to the downtown city train track, so some rooms may be louder. I found the windows do good noise blocking, but I live downtown and am used to noise, plus our room was not directly above train tracks. Make sure you ask about this if you think it would bother you.

We didn't rent bikes, but our friends did and they had a nice few hours of biking - it's a very bike-able city. It a nice bonus to have this option.

Overall, I will probably stay here again. Portland has a variety of boutique hotels like this to choose from, and this one is definitely one of the good choices.

Room Tip: Ask to be away from the street where city train passes if you think this may bother you.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sinish
Terry H, General Manager at Hotel Rose - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this review, May 21, 2014
Good evening Sinish,
Thank you for your comments detailing your recent stay with us. I'm happy that you enjoyed our complimentary cupcakes and coffee, fantastic location, and comfortable rooms. It's great that your friends were able to try our complimentary bikes. Portland is a fun city to bike around as everything is so close to downtown.
Thanks Sinish. I hope you return soon so you can experience our newly remodeled main floor.
Bakersfield, California
Reviewed May 20, 2014

My husband and I just returned from a 4 day stay in Portland. We chose Hotel Rose because we had an outstanding experience with another Pineapple Hospitality hotel in Seattle. Unfortunately, our stay at Hotel Rose wasn't as extraordinary. We loved the usual Pineapple amenities...free water bottles, Keurig machine, umbrella to use...but it didn't WOW us like we had hoped. I would not consider this a 'boutique hotel' at this point but maybe the lobby renovation will get it going in the right direction.

We were on the third floor and didn't have too many issues with road noise. You could hear it, but it wasn't bothersome. The hotel IS in a decent location. The tram from the airport drops you off a block or so away from the hotel and you're in a pretty nice shopping area. There are bars and restaurants just steps away. There are also homeless people that sleep not far away from the entrance to the hotel but I think you would encounter that anywhere you stayed in Portland.

All in all, we didn't have a poor experience but we likely would not stay at this location again. We did have pleasant experiences with the staff and will consider other Pineapple Hospitality locations in the future.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Good evening Chelsea N,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We truly do appreciate your feedback.
I'm pleased to hear that you enjoyed our Pineapple amenities such as our complimentary bikes, cupcakes and coffee, Keurig coffee maker, and fantastic location. We are very close to having our lobby, restaurant, and bar remodel complete. I believe that if you come back and see in the future you will be impressed. It's going to be spectacular.
Honolulu
Reviewed May 17, 2014

After reading some of the recent TripAdvisor reviews for Hotel Rose, we considered cancelling our reservation. But we had such a positive experience at another "Pineapple Hospitality" hotel - The Maxwell Hotel (Seattle) - the week before, that we decided to stick with our reservations at Hotel Rose... and we're glad that we did.
Actually, the TripAdvisor reviews helped prepare us for the fact that the Hotel Rose lobby was being renovated. It was a little inconvenient, but the overall experience was very positive. The rooms were fine and the location - the primary reason we chose the Hotel Rose - made walking throughout the city and along the riverside very convenient.
What impressed us most was the positive attitude of the staff... who were probably being inconvenienced even more than the guests. From the (make-shift) front desk staff to the maintenance and room-cleaning group... they all deserve a pat on the back for the wonderful service they provided.
By the time you read this review, the work on the lobby will probably be done... and if it looks anything like the lobby at The Maxwell Hotel, it should be very impressive.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank aloha1390
Good evening aloha1390,
Thank you for your positive comments from your recent stay. We are also very pleased that you did not cancel. You are correct about the lobby almost being done. We are on schedule to have the lobby done by the 28th with the restaurant and bar opening on June 2nd. I was happy that you enjoyed our fantastic team along with our great location. I do hope you have the opportunity to come back and see us soon and see and enjoy the final results.
Thank you again aloha1390. Come see us soon.
Richmond Hill, Canada
Reviewed May 10, 2014

The hotel is undergoing some major renovations, there is virtually no lobby. The rooms however are very nice and clean, the bed was extremely comfortable. The noises from the street and train were loud but tolerable. The construction on the restaurant began quite early in the morning but we were awake early anyways, so it didn't bother us. Free wifi and water bottles throughout the stay which was nice, also had pineapple cupcakes in the lobby for its guests. Big windows and ergonomic room which was smartly laid out, made for a comfortable stay for us. The bathrooms were clean and modern. As for the air conditioning, the weather was so beautiful the week we went that we mostly left the windows open, which is a feature most hotels do not have. When we closed the windows however we found that A/C worked fine, it wasn't super strong but it did the trick.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Terry H, General Manager at Hotel Rose - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this review, May 12, 2014
Good Morning Sco202,
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay. We appreciate your feedback.
I was pleased to hear that you enjoyed our comfortable bed, complimentary wifi, bottled water, and spacious rooms. We appreciate your patience while we finish up our renovation. Only a few more weeks and we will have a spectacular new restaurant, bar, and lobby to showcase. I do hope you are able to come back soon to see the final results.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed May 7, 2014

I had a very similar experience as the "Ughhh!" reviewer did when I stayed at Hotel Rose. Don't waste your money on this place.

We were booked for three nights, and quickly - by the morning of our first night - changed it to one. We had extremely loud neighbor noise due to thin walls, had no AC or ventilation due to a broken window, and heard the trains in the early evening and in morning - they were so loud they shook the floor of our room. It's simply impossible to get a good night's sleep.

Further, fixtures in the room were cheap quality and the rooms definitely do not live up to a "three-star" standard or photos from their website promises. Everything was very poorly appointed (e.g., screws loose on the door handle, cupboards didn't shut, hooks fell down).

The construction going on in the hotel was not disclosed to us and affected my work for business. That was a sharp disappointment.

I sent an email to the management shortly after my stay, complaining that we did not get any sleep and would like a refund. I never heard any response from the management.

I will never stay at a pineapple hospitality hotel or use priceline to book travel in a city that has a pineapple hospitality hotel again. This is our second awful experience.

Room Tip: Choose a room away from the tracks and front desk on the far side of the hotel
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
5 Thank Claire B
Terry H, General Manager at Hotel Rose - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this review, May 10, 2014
Hello Claire B,
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay. I do apologize that your experience did not live up to your expectations. We will review your feedback with our team and look for opportunities to make adjustments. I have been unable to locate an e-mail from you but would be more than happy to discuss your stay in more detail. I can be reached at 503-484-1400, extension 702.
Thank you Claire B. I look forward to speaking with you.
Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed May 2, 2014

The location and cleanness of the room was very good. The poor rating is because their was a party in the adjacent room that went on for more than 8 hours even after calling it into the hotel.The hotel knew what was going on. The question is why would you book a party next door to your guest who are here for a peaceful and quiet vacation? It is 11;42 p.m. and it is still going on, and we are leaving at 3:00 am. I doubt seriously if the hotel is full to capacity this time of year. Like I stated, if you want to be in a party hotel where people can be heard thru the walls, screaming from the balcony, you would enjoy this hotel, but if you are looking for a peaceful and quiet place, stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: It is under renovation and the lobby is a mess.The rooms facing the streets are noisy because of tra...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Lynnette41
Terry H, General Manager at Hotel Rose - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this review, May 4, 2014
Good afternoon Lynnette41,
Thank you for your comments from your recent stay. I do apolgoize that you did not enjoy your time with us. It is our policy to react to any noise complainte immediately. Knowing that our guests comfort is very important, we do not tolorate parties or any such gatherings in our hotel rooms when they disturbe other guests. I am happy that you enjoyed our housekeeping efforts and great location. Please come and see us again when our renovation is complete in a few weeks. It's going to be fantastic