“They allow construction at 9 am directly below your room”

Hotel Rose - A Staypineapple Hotel
Ranked #34 of 146 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed April 3, 2014

I'm guessing this is why I found this hotel on groupon. We are staying in the hotel rose for Wednesday night and Thursday night and was woken up bright and early to drilling directly below my room which sounded like it was coming through the floor. Being as I'm on vacation I was looking forward to sleeping in, but they allow construction and don't bother to tell the guests whom will hear it as and alarm clock. According to the front desk they allow construction during normal business hours (beginning at 9am sharp). This would have been something I would have found useful for them to inform me of about my stay. The girl at the front desk was helpful, yet did not empathize with my desire to sleep and I was told that construction is allowed during business hours and after a bit of a fuss, got the valet free for 2 days. I would rather sleep in for 2 days, but, seeing as I didn't even know I was going to be charged for the valet (which is thinly option available if you don't want to pay to park on the street) I will take the wake up over the extra fees.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Alex T
Terry H, General Manager at Hotel Rose - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2014

Good evening Alex T,
Thank you for your comments from your recent stay. I sincerely apologize that our restaurant renovation impacted your stay. Our goal is to do the project the most effecient way with little or no impact to our guests. We thought a 9:00AM start would take care of any noise issues but obviously not, and I am sorry. We will definitately revisit this with our contractor next week. I hope you have the opportunity to return when it's all done as it will be a terrific space.
Thank you Alex T. We hope to see you back in Portland very soon.
Terry Hanley

Write a ReviewReviews (1,087)

Reviewed March 30, 2014 via mobile

First plus? This small hotel has a great location. The front street riverfront with its beautiful walkway is on one side while the max line stops 1/2 a block away. Be sure to ask for a river view; however, ask for 3rd floor or higher as front street is noisy. The back side without the view is very quiet. The north side rooms have balconies that look over Morrison bridge on-ramp. Again, ask for upper floor. 2nd plus is the bar. Friendly and comfortable with a out of ordinary bar menu. If you want buffalo wings, walk a block to Rockport Brewery. Finally their complimentary breakfast was unexpectedly luxurious. Eggs Benedict ... Fruit... Pastries .. Bagels ... Lox... Oatmeal ... Etc. (not sure if this was because the river view restaurant was under construction?) The one drawback was the $20 parking fee. This location has seen many owners over the past 30 years. I've never had to pay for parking til now.

• Stayed: February 2014

Good afternoon piratejani,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. It sounds like you had a great time and took advantage of our fantastic location. I was also happy to hear you enjoyed breakfast and your bar experience. We are currently renovating the bistro so watch for our new Bottle + Kitchen that will be open in June. It's going to be very cool!
Thank you piratejani. I hope your travels brings you back very soon.

Reviewed March 27, 2014

First times staying with this hotel, stayed November 2-6th 2013. Had a some problems along the way, but Molly's service and her efforts to rectify these issues is what stood out in our overall experience. She made extra efforts to help us leave feeling that we had a positive overall experience. It was how her service and attitude stood out over the issues that would have me stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Good afternoon rachel c,
Thank you for your review of our hotel. We truly appreciate your feedback.
I apologize that you had some issues while you were here, but was happy to hear Molly was able to resolve them for you. She is one of our star associates.
It also pleases me that you will stay with us again. I know it will be an enjoyable time.

Reviewed March 27, 2014

Just returned from our second stay at the Rose. So many pluses with this place: affordable, great location, friendly staff. Love the proximity to everything downtown. Portland is a walking town and having this place as your home base is perfect. The valets are the best. Nice, funny and super helpful.The $20 per day rate is probably one of the best in the city. Last time we stayed we had a fantastic breakfast in the restaurant as we looked out at the park and river across the street. The restaurant is under renovation so I look forward to enjoying that next time we stay. The manager of this hotel knows his stuff and takes care of his guests. Well done Rose, see you next time we're in Portland !

Room Tip: Request a high floor and corner if you can get it.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Robin S

Good afternoon tikalove,
Thank you for your fantastic comments regarding your recent stay at our hotel. We are greatful for the feedback. I was pleased to hear you took advantage of our steller location, great valets, and very inexpensive parking. It is the best rate in town!
Watch for a new and improved Bottle + Kitchen restaurant and bar that will be ready to go in early June.
Thank you for staying with us tikalove. We hope you return very soon.

Reviewed March 27, 2014

I was very impressed with Hotel Rose. The room rate was great, and when I arrived I received free self parking in a covered lot. The location was close to everything downtown, and we walked and walked. The train station was close, and we rode it to a Portland Timbers game, and also to the airport. The bathroom was spacious, and the Keurig in the room was greatly appreciated. Would stay again!!!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank soccerknitter

Good afternoon soccerknitter,
Thank you for your most favourable comments regarding our hotel. I am so pleased that you had an enjoyable time and was able to take advantage of our great location. Walking to almost everything downtown is so easy from our perfect location. I hope the right team won!
Go Timbers!

Reviewed March 26, 2014

Well located, good place but they need better sound proofing - we could easily hear the people next door, in the hall, street noise etc. Really nice people. Request a room facing the river (but maybe those are more expensive?)

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the river, unless these are the more expensive rooms
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business

Good afternoon Jake J,
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay. We truly appreciate your feedback. I am sorry that your room was not as quiet as you would have liked. Being in the center of downtown can occassionally cause issues if you are from a quiet neighborhood. I do apologize for that. Our rooms on the interior of the building are probably the quietest. I am pleased that you enjoyed our great team here at the hotel. We hope your travels bring you back to Portland and Hotel Rose very soon.
General Manager.

Reviewed March 25, 2014

I went to stay for my birthday. We arrived in our room, settled in for a few hours and then were interrupted by another couple opening the door and entering our room. We were not completely dressed so needless to say I was humiliated! I called down to the front desk and was put on hold, then I called back and was told that they were busy and was HUNG UP ON! They called back and my husband answered. No apology but was told they would comp us dinner. We had dinner plans (birthday) and was told we could get breakfast, lunch or dinner on them the next day. When we went to have dinner we were told they would only comp breakfast which by then was too late. The only helpful person there was Nick the valet/bike guy.

As far as the room goes, yes it was 70 degrees so we had to open the window. And that was with the heat turned to 40 degrees. Some people might like it that warm. The showers have no door but that just means a very wet floor and no bathroom fans.

Like I said nice location, clean room but the way we were treated was inexcusable.

Monte and Erin

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Erin S
Terry H, General Manager at Hotel Rose - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2014

Good morning Erin S,
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay. I sincerely apologize for the unfortuante issues that happened during your stay. Please know that we take your comments very seriously and have reviewed them with our management team. I believe our front office manager Art has been in touch with you as well.
Thank you again Erin S. I do hope we see you again soon.