Hotel Rose - A Staypineapple Hotel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$200
$343
$327
Travelocity
  • Restaurant
Inn at Northrup Station(Portland)
$184
$178
1,142 results
All reviewscupcakesthe riverbottle kitchentommy bahamapineapple hospitalitygreat locationfree bikeswaterfront parktop sheetself parkingbottled waterlight sleepersaturday marketstreet noisewould stay againhappy hourhomeless people
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 9, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for a business trip for 5 days. Right by the river, centrally located in Portland's downtown. I stayed at the 5th floor with views onto the river, which were lovely. Rooms are spacious and modern, mattress has very good sleep quality. The updated contemporary bathrooms have no tub but a half-glassed in shower with shampoo, conditioner, soap dispensers on the wall. The Staff was super friendly and helpful and made the stay comfortable. I got good advice for restaurants in walking distance. There is a small gym which is adequate for a couple of days. The restaurant H50 was under constructions but I did not want to venture out into the rain, so I had a meal one night that was very good bistro food. Once the construction is done this will be a fine little restaurant. Minor negatives: the breakfast can use some improvement, not a very good selection of breakfast foods and quality is lacking. The restaurant was not open for breakfast due to construction. Since I stayed 5 nights it did matter that I had to request every day an evening sheet for the morning room service. The cleaning was not done properly each day, cups with tea bag in them were left, towels not straighten or changed. Otherwise the room was very clean. There is train noise at night, I did use my earplug and then it was fine. It's a great little hotel and I will be back.I took advantage of the March special which was the right price point. I had a very comfortable time and really liked the hotel and considering booking again on my next trip, if there are more specials.

Room Tip: Stay at the 4 or 5th floor and choose a room with river view.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Terry H, General Manager at Hotel Rose - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2014

Good afternoon Sunki,
Thank you so much for your very positive survey. We truly do appreciate your comments and love that you enjoyed our hotel so much. We believe we have the best location in town, along with the most comfortable bed in the hotel industry. Thank you for recognizing our great team of associates that we are so proud of!
Thank you agian Sunki. I hope your travels bring you back to our fine city very soon.

Reviewed March 7, 2014

I stayed here through a Priceline bid, and can't complain about the $80 a night price. But this place has come down a few pegs since it was the Hotel Fifty. Problems include:

No restaurant in the morning. The hotle offered a basic breakfast in their conference room during February, and this would have been much appreciated. But by March, they have shifted to room service only. I arrived late and was booked for an early meeting, so eating out the first night was not an option.

I ordered the room service, and it was the lamest room service breakfast I've ever purchased. It included: tepid tea (the water was not hot), tepid dry toast (again the bread was not warm, just room temperature, no jam, bottled juice, a plastic container of Greek yoghurt, and one spoon. I ordered the breakfast for 7:30 - 7:45 am, and it arrived at 7:45 am. The next day, I want to Mother's for breakfast and would highly recommend this over the hotel's rip-off room service.

One of the two elevators was broken on the second morning of my stay, and there was a real bottleneck in getting out of the building as a result. I had to hustle to make my meeting.

Storing my bag for the morning was neither easy nor gracious. When I elected not to tip for this 'service' I may have set the stage for some minor damage to the bag - because when I got it back one of the zipper pulls was torn off. Was this a coincidence?

There was also perfunctory cleaning of my room, the foil cover from the room service breakfast tray was on the floor when I returned.

There new management needs to really work hard get this place back into the shape it was in when it was the Hotel Fifty.

2  Thank Human44

Good afternoon Human44,
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at Hotel Rose. I was disappointed to hear we did not exceed your expectations. Please accept my sincere apologies. I have passed your comments on to our food and beverage team to ensure these issues will be resoved for furture stays. I do apologize for not having the the restaurant available for breakfast and hope you can try us again when the new "Bottle + Kitchen" opens in late May. It's going to be great!
Thank you Human44. We hope to see you back at Hotel Rose in the very near future.

Reviewed March 7, 2014

For the price, it worked for me. Much less than anything else in the area, which always scares me.

No AC in the room, heat only. I wouldn't expect that to be in issue in early March, but the room was warm. Tired to cool it down by leaving the windows open, but the noise was unbearable. The train ran all night long, construction across the street, etc.

The remodel looks nice, but I'd take a lot less, if I just could have had a comfortable (temperature,) quiet room.

Room Tip: Not sure about other rooms, but don't get one that faces the interior/parking lot area. Not only did the sound echo off the walls, but there was very little air circulation, making it very warm, even in early March.
1  Thank 5cott5

Good morning scooter13,
Thank you for your comments regarding your most recent stay at Hotel Rose. I was sorry to hear that your room was too warm. Your comments have been passed on to our Chief Engineer at our corporate office. Please know that we are committed to doing everything possible to ensure everyone has a comfortable stay. We are investigating solutions with several air conditioning vendors to make this possible.
Thank you scooter13. We hope to see you back in Portland very soon.

Reviewed February 27, 2014

I stayed one night on a business trip and was pleasantly surprised by the Hotel Rose. The rooms were on the small side, but I was just sleeping there. Mattress was terrific and the pillows were great. Bathroom was spacious. The stand alone shower had one of the best touches I've seen..in the half glass panel (no shower curtain or completely closing doors) there was a cutout that allowed one to turn the water on and off and adjust for temperature before immersing into the water. Margaux and Ron in the restaurant/bar (under construction) were personable. Margaux made a mean Manhattan (with compliments).

All in all a good stay, the four star rating comes from the ridiculously low price for the room and the size of the bathroom. Slight detraction for proximity to light rail lines. Luckily the train whistles didn't start until after 6 am. Ask for a room on the river side of the hotel to get away from the noise.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank fran J

Hello fran J
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay. We truly do appreciate your feedback.
I was happy to hear that you met Chef Ron and Margaux, 2 of our top associates in H5O. You will have to come back when our new restaurant, Bottle+ Kitchen is done in late May. It's going to be spectacular!! I was also pleased you enjoyed our bed. It is one of the best in the industry.
Thank you fran J. We hope to see you back in Portland and at Hotel Rose very soon.

Reviewed February 25, 2014

I was really looking forward to a weekend away at the Hotel Rose in Portland.

I read great reviews and felt confident in my booking.

When we arrived, the staff were very friendly and we were given a river-view room on the 5th floor.

Unfortunately as soon as we walked into the room we were met with a heavy cigarette smoke odor. It was so strong that we immediately had to leave the room and ultimately left the hotel.

The location is fairly good and the staff handled our situation very pleasantly; however, I think this should there should be more warning to guests that this definitely used to be a smoker-friendly hotel.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Terry H, General Manager at Hotel Rose - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 2, 2014

Hello brittany y,
Thank you for your comments. I am so sorry to hear your room did not meet your expectations. It has been 10 years since our building has had smoking options but unfortunately rules do get broken occasionally. We would have been more than happy to move you to another room that would have been more comfortable for you.
Thank you again brittany y. We hope to see you back very soon