“Great location and a great view if you can get it”

Hotel Rose - A Staypineapple Hotel
Ranked #31 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed January 20, 2014

It's difficult to beat the location of Hotel Rose, on the Willamette River between the Morrison and Hawthorne bridges. We walked to breakfast, shopping and nightlife with ease. Comfortable bed and a clean, but tiny, room with a nice view of the city and, in the distance, Mount St. Helens.

Quibbles: 1) The HVAC system is antiquated and might not be for everybody (as in anybody who wants to regulate their room temperature). 2) The rooms do not have bathtubs, so put your bubble bath dreams on hold. 3) One night we returned to find the valet "had to go home" so were asked to park our car in the valet lot. 4) The hotel bar closes at 10 p.m. on weekends and 9 p.m. on other nights. (But there are a zillion other places to grab a drink nearby.)

Finally, I would only book this hotel at a discounted rate ($119 or less). If you can afford to pay the rack rate, you should look at other properties, because you find better rooms for the money.

Room Tip: Get the highest floor you can and facing the river. If you mind noise from the light rail, city view...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ILiveForTheNorthwest
Terry H, Manager at Hotel Rose - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2014

Good evening ILiveForTheNorthwest,
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your recent stay with Hotel Rose. We truly do appreciate your feedback. I was happy to hear you enjoyed our great location. It's the best! I am sorry you had issues with our heating and cooling system. I do want to tell you that we do have tubs in 15 of our guest rooms so please let us know you would prefere one of these rooms the next time you make a reservation. We would be happy to reserve one for you.
Thank you ILiveForTheNorthwest. I hope your travels brings you back to Portland very soon.

There are newer reviews for Hotel Rose - A Staypineapple Hotel

Reviewed January 16, 2014

We checked in Jan 11th and stayed 5 nights. We first had a street view room and found it to be a bit noisy. We moved into a water view room and were much happier. The restaurant at the hotel was very good and we ate there about four times. Good location. Can take the lite rail from the airport and only walk about 3 blks. Close to shopping.
Staff was always pleasant and helpful. They do have cupcakes in lobby in the evening. They don't tell you. But I read it on line.
Also they have a coffee station when you enter the restaurant where you can even make yourself a cup to go before you hit the streets.
Overall was pleased. Will stay again. Use the lite rail as I went all over and didn't feel I needed a car. Very user friendly.

• Stayed: January 2014
2  Thank KansasTravelgrl

Good afternoon Kansas Travelgrl,
Thank you for your kind review of our hotel. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and that you had a nice time exploring Portland and that your waterfront room worked out so well for you. I have passed your comment regarding the cupcakes on to our front desk team to ensure we tell everyone about them. We want everyone to try our delicious homemade cupcakes!! I was also happy to hear you enjoyed our restaurant. We are going to give it a face lift in the spring so more good things to come there.
Thank you again Kansas Travelgrl. We hope you will return to Portland and Hotel Rose very soon.

Reviewed January 9, 2014

I recently traveled to Portland with my family, including my husband and our two kids (3 and 1). We had a reservation at Hotel Rose (formerly Hotel Fifty) at the suggestion of a friend.

We had a great trip! The hotel is in a great location, right on the waterfront and a short walk from the Saturday Market. It was the first time we traveled with both kids, so I was a little anxious about how it would work out. The hotel staff was great - they got us checked in efficiently and also provided a pack n play for our room. We brought a small airbed for the 3 year old and we all fit quite comfortably. In the morning, we invited friends in town to join us for lunch in the hotel restaurant. The hotel offers free valet parking and very reasonable brunch menu, and we felt completely welcome with two kids with us.

I was a little surprised that our room only had a shower (instead of a tub/shower), but the kids managed just fine. I understand they will be doing some remodeling and facelifting to the rooms over the next 6 months, so I'm not sure what additions will happen with the remodeling.

Our only issue was totally our fault. There was road work taking place on the street adjacent to the entry, so we misunderstood the signs and took a premature right turn which launched us on to the bridge to the other side of the river. If we'd been paying closer attention (which we did the second time), we would have notice you can still take a right turn to get into the parking lot but it's just not very visible in the dark. Probably not an issue if they're done with the work or you are less distracted than we are!

We'd be happy to return to Hotel Rose. We felt very welcome and wouldn't hesitate to return with our family again sometime!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Brynn B

Good afternoon Brynn B,
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at Hotel Rose. I was so pleased to hear that your first trip with your young children was so successful. It can be stressful traveling with young ones. I do want to let you know that we do have bathtubs in 15 of our existing rooms so please let us know you the next time you stay and we will ensure you get a room with a tub. I'm also pleased to let you know the road constuction infront of our building has been completed so no more missed turns!
Thank you again Brynn B. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed January 3, 2014

This hotel is very pleasant-close to every place we wanted to visit such as Powell's bookstore, voodoo donuts, pioneer place, and even the OMSI.
Each time we entered the hotel and left, the staff was quick to greet us and friendly. Although I was not aware of free cupcakes until writing the review.
Housekeeping came by the room even in the afternoon when we thought we had missed them. Weird occurrence though when one woman tried to enter multiple guests rooms (including ours) at 7 am...but it didn't bother us enough to talk to anyone about it.

The bathrooms were okay. Nothing too spectacular. I much prefer a shower that is not a walk in one since the walk in allows cold air to enter. No fan in the bathroom and the mirror doesn't clear up fast..there is a mirror right on the outside of the room so I was still able to blow dry my hair and do my makeup quickly after the shower.

The heating is a little weird but I just turned it up when it was cold and turned it down when it was too warm - not a big deal for us.

There was construction on the road outside of the hotel when we were there at the end of December (but I think try finished on our last day) which woke us up early one morning. Also the walls are thin and you can hear your neighbors or anyone in the halls talking or laughing loudly. My partner wasn't bothered by this but since I'm a light sleeper, it was a bit irritating to me. Once I had my ear plugs in then it was fine.

Our room was a mural view but there was no mural, I think they may be remodeling it?

Fitness center has a stationary bike, 2 elliptical machines, and a treadmill as well as a set of dumbbell weights. Well equipped with water and towels.

Overall I would stay here again if there is possibly a quieter area to stay in.

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Kamort

Good afternoon Kamort,
Thank you for comments regarding your recent stay at Hotel Rose. It sounds as if you had an enjoyable time and experienced several of the great things the hotel and Portland has to offer. I do apologize that our room inspector woke you up so early one morning. I have discussed this with our housekeeping manager. It's great that you used our new fitness center and yes, we are still working on our mural wall and hope to have something up soon.
Thank you again Kamort. We hope to see you back very soon.

Reviewed December 31, 2013

The Hotel Rose is walking distance to a lot of restaurants, movie theaters and shopping. Also, very close to public transportation. Directly across the street is a nice walking/jogging path along the river. Nice friendly staff!

Our room was quite small but adequate for our needs as we truly only used the room to go to sleep. There is a nice restaurant and bar/lounge in the hotel. If you are looking for a nice value in Downtown Portland you should consider this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Good afternoon LanceBaz,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We truly appreciate and value your comments.
I was happy to hear you enjoyed spending time in our restaurant and bar, and took advantage of our great location. Portland is such a great walking city and Hotel Rose has such great access to everything.
Thank you again LanceBaz. We hope your return very soon.

Reviewed December 30, 2013

We spent two nights in Portland and stayed at the Hotel Rose. We were greeted by the valet opening the door for us and welcoming us. The front desk staff was wonderful, we arrived just after 1:00 and there was a room available. We had parked on First Street (there is road work on Morrison) and they explained and provided a map to their parking lot, which is under the hotel or you can valet. We self parked but had many opportunities to see the valet was quick to park and recover cars when guests needed them. We had a river view double room - plenty of room, a great view of the river and park. We had our service dog and they provided a water bowl and waste bags for our walks with him.

The hotel is very clean, housekeeping staff was helpful when we needed an extra coffee cup. They offer free mini pineapple cupcakes and coffee in the afternoon which was a nice treat.

We used the free bike's they have available and went for a nice ride around the river.

We would stay again. In fact thinking of looking at the calendar now to see when we can go!

----The heat problems people mention is easily remedied - you just turn the dial the opposite direction that you think it should go! I went to front desk when I couldn't get the heat to turn off - they were quick to explain and the room temp was comfortable quickly.

Room Tip: We loved the river view room though there are balconies on the north side of the building.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Pam R

Good afternoon motherthecruisedirector,
Thank you for your kind comments regarding your recent stay at Hotel Rose. I was pleased to hear that you had such a great time. We are very proud of our service team, along with the great amenites our hotel has to offer. The bike program and afternoon cupcakes are a signature offering at all 5 of our hotels in Portland and Seattle. Please let me know if I can assist with a future reservation. We would love to have you come and stay with us again!

Reviewed December 30, 2013

We have stayed several times at the Rose Hotel and have enjoyed our visits. The location is great when using public transportation. We take the Max Red Line to/from the airport, which is convenient to the hotel. The area around the hotel has several good places to eat. We have used the local walking path across the street from the hotel and the hotel has bikes to use on those same paths. The staff has been incredible helpful and pleasant, we just love the service. The rooms are clean, the beds are comfortable, and we love that they recycle in the rooms. We have only visited in the winter, so the room can be a little chilly. The hotel offers in-room heaters that we simply ask for when we check-in and that makes the room nice and warm. We have several more trips planned using this hotel as we find it a great option for our Portland travel.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CLG4127
Terry H, Manager at Hotel Rose - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2014

Good evening CLG4127,
Thank you for your great review of Hotel Rose! We truly do appreciate you taking the time to comment on your stay. I was happy to hear you enjoyed interacting with our team, using our bikes, and taking advantage of our great location. The convenient MAX from the airport really is a great way to get downtown!
Thank you again CLG4127. We hope to see you back at Hotel Rose in the very near future.