“Cool and Friendly Botique Hotel”

Hotel Rose - A Staypineapple Hotel
Ranked #31 of 142 Hotels in Portland
Long Beach, California
“Cool and Friendly Botique Hotel”
Reviewed October 2, 2013

Easy to get to on the Red or Blue line from the airport. Short walk to lots of restaurants n bars. Staff was pleasant. Nicely decorated rooms and pretty quiet, i was by the elevator but it wasnt too loud.

• Stayed September 2013
Terry H, Manager at Hotel Rose - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Hello JoeyC4SC,
Thank you for your favourable comments on your recent stay at Hotel Rose. We truly do appreciate your feedback. I was happy to hear you enjoyed our staff, guest rooms, and great location. It really is a convenient spot, plus has great proximity to the Portland Light Rail system, MAX.
Thank you JoeyC4SC. Come back and see us soon,
Terry Hanley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (259)
  • Korean first
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed October 1, 2013

My husband and I checked into the Hotel Rose on 9/26/13. We had anticipated on staying 2 nights but upon check in, we immediately called and canceled night 2. I want to be as fair as possible so:

Hotel Pros:
*The staff was nice. Not overly friendly or anything but they were nice. We called when we got in the room because it was so hot and we couldn't figure out the A/C and the girl was very nice and explained to my husband what to do (I will also list how we fixed it under Cons).
*The complimentary cupcakes were very good
*They did have complimentary coffee both times my husband looked for it and it was good both times.
*I did like the Tommy Bahama lotion, shampoo, conditioner and body wash.
*We were able to check in an hour earlier than normally allowed.
*The individual ice bags were nice.

Hotel Cons:
*The self-parking is hard to find. We had to ask the valet where to go.
*You pay for self-parking ($15 a night) but it is just an open air parking garage.
*The room was very small. It seemed like if you turned around you were bumping into the bed, the chair or the dresser.
*The bathroom door is also the closet door. If you want to close the bathroom door you are opening the closet. Not terribly bad but still weird.
*Our view was of a grey wall. The courtyard view is actually a small little terrace with a few dead looking trees. You really are just looking at a huge grey wall.
*The windows do open but there is no breeze (grey wall blocks it).
*In order to turn on the A/C you must crank the thermostat to the highest temperature then the A/C will turn on. Even cranked all the way it really doesnt cool the room down at all.
*The shower stall floor seemed dirty and it would puddle up while you were in the shower. Also since there is no real door to close the water does escape creating a slippery mess on the bathroom floor.
*It really isn't worth the amount you are paying. We ended up leaving a day early and going to a town outside Portland. We stayed at a Holiday Inn Express that blew the Hotel Rose out of the water and was 1/2 the price.

1 Thank midavidson
Good afternoon midavidson,
Thank you for your comments from your most recent stay, both pro and con. We will review your feedback with our manangement team so that we can make improvements for our future guests experiences. I do want to let you know that our new owners are in the planning stages of painting a very colorful "Portland" themed mural on the gray wall you mentioned. It's going to be something you may need to came back and see us for.
Thank you midavidson. I do hope we see you back very soon.
Ventura, California
Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

Expected more from this property especially since my husband and I were on our honeymoon. Staff was stiff and robotic and certainly did not create a lasting impression. Room was a storage closest turned into a guest room as an after thought. It was uncomfortable and difficult to maneuver around. Best thing was the location and the complimentary cupcakes upon check in. If you are looking for a memorable experience I advice you look elsewhere.

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank LoveFoodNWine77
Good afternoon LoveFoodNWine77,
Thank you for your comments about your recent stay. I'm sorry that the room you were assigned did not meet your space requirements. We have several different views and sizes of rooms so hopefully next time we can get you into one of our larger rooms. I do appreciate your comments about our great location and tasty home made pineapple cupcakes. Hopefully we will see you back in Portland very soon.
Inverkip, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 28, 2013

Stayed here for one night , room 502 at the back of the hotel a little small for opening two suit cases but i suppose that is expected at the price .Good location downtown . Staff very nice, easy check in helpful door person.Well decorated and modern room very clean and bed comfortable the bathroom spotless and Tommy Bahama toiletries, not a lot of noise. Good location for shops , eating and the river .

Room Tip: you get what you pay for river views are more expensive
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Terry H, Manager at Hotel Rose - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Hello Tim P,
Thank you so much for your kind comments about our staff and property. I was also happy to hear you enjoyed your room and our great location. It's so convenient for almost everything!
Thank you again Tim P and we hope to see you back at Hotel Rose very soon.
General Manager.
Castle Rock, Colorado
Reviewed September 26, 2013

We spent 2 nights at the Hotel Rose (though it was called the Hotel 50 when we booked it). The room was clean but quite small. The best thing about it was the location. It was right across the street from the park and bike path that runs along the Willamette River. It was easy walking distance to most of the downtown area. There was a bar that had a decent happy hour and a restaurant where we had breakfast. The breakfast was fair and the service average. There is a self-parking area at the hotel for $15 a day.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony.
Hello Hoppy333,
Thank you for your kind feedback. I am very pleased to hear you enjoyed our H5O restaurant and bar, along with our fantastic location. I hope the next time you are in town you have time to take one of our complimentary bikes for a spin along the river front.
Thanks Hoppy333. We hope to see you back soon.
General Managr
Port Townsend, Washington, United States
Reviewed September 23, 2013

I have been traveling to Portland for business for a year now. Usually I stay at Hotel Modera but had to change my travel plans due to the conference suggestions. Hotel Rose/Hotel Fifty (I can't really tell you which one it is now) needs a bit of help outside and in. It was very difficult to locate their hotel because Hotel Rose is not on the outside of the hotel. There is no big sign. I was lucky to catch a small transient placard that said "Hotel Rose Valet Parking". I pulled in and there was no one there. It was problematic backing out and finding the self-parking.

I also typically like the personal feel I get from my usual hotel. Even on my first time staying at Hotel Modera, I was always greeted by my professional name and met with maturity and a smile. At Hotel Rose, I found a lot of goofing around behind the check-in desk, they couldn't remember who I was or that I was even staying in the hotel. This is a bit scary because anyone could walk into the hotel and go up the elevators to the floors. I typically like access to the different floors to be protected where you have to insert your room key card in order to get the elevator to go up. Safety and professionalism are very important to me and if I am going to pay the same amount for the night, I would rather stay somewhere else.

Finally, I heard the train go by my room all night long. If you do stay here, be sure to ask for a room that is not on the side of the train. It sounds like thunder every few minutes.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the opposite side of the train tracks.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Good afternoon Kate M,
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay. I do apologize for any confussion we may have caused you as we transition signage to Hotel Rose. Our management team has reviewed your feedback so that we can make improvements for future guests. We truly do appreciate your comments.
Thank you Kate M. We hope you come back and see us very soon.
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

Bad stay. We booked an accessible room weeks in advance only to discover on checking in that they didn't have the room open. (A maintenance issue.) They said the next day they could move us into an accessible room. The next day came and went and when we called they had completely forgotten that we needed the ADA room and had already put able-bodied guests into them.

Of course, given that one of us uses a wheelchair, we need an accessible room, but they refused to move one of the able-bodied reservations. (This is actually against federal ADA legislation, incidentally.)

After some time on the phone, they called back to say they found a room for us. So we packed everything up, assembled the wheelchair stuff, and went downstairs to get the key. And guess what -- the "new" room isn't accessible either. So other than getting a bath instead of a shower, we have pretty much the same room as before we packed everything up to move it.

So now here we are. Stuck in a room in which things are out of reach, and wishing we'd have just stuck with the Westin instead of giving this rebranded "boutique" hotel a shot.

Let's hope they do the right thing tomorrow at checkout and offer us a significant break on the room (which we booked weeks ago and never got). Judging from what we've gotten so far, we aren't holding our breath.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Tod M
Good afternoon Tod M.
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay with us. I do apologize that we did not exceed your expectations while you were here. I do appreciate you taking my call and hopefully we will see you back in Portland very soon.
Thank you Tod M.