“Great...except for our room”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Portland - Downtown
Ranked #18 of 142 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
Salem, Oregon, USA
“Great...except for our room”
Reviewed January 23, 2011

Reserved a king room via the Embassy Suites website for a one night get away to Portland. Embassy Suites service and the hotel itself were outstanding, our room was not.

Check in was quick, arrived around 5 pm on a Saturday. A tip for folks staying Saturday night to avoid the outrageous 28.00/night parking charges is to look for a street spot. Parking is free on the street after 7 pm every night, and on Sunday, there is no fee until 1 pm. We paid the meeter from 5-7, and then never had to pay again, costing us 2.50. There were plenty of spots. Lobby was as others described, grand. The hotel has a gift shop, a bar, and a spa attached. Manager's reception was fine, no food there at all, even gold fish or pretzels, which we have come to expect. Instead, they provide menus of places that deliver. Pool and work out room were large and well maintained. We did not encounter a crowd anywhere, even though we were there on the weekend. Breakfast was not crowded, and food was as expected for Embassy Suites. Internet was a hefty daily fee, but there are multiple locations within walking distance with free internet.

When we booked our room on their website, it offered us a "king" non-suite room as we entered 2 guests. I expected a room similar to other chain hotel rooms, but not a "suite" room, with a separate sitting area, pull out sofa, kitchenette, etc. What we got was one of the smallest and poorly arranged rooms I have ever stayed in. The door was in the middle of the room, so when you open the door, anyone in the hallway can see your bed. Most "normal" hotel rooms have a hallway, closet, bathroom, etc, by the door. Not this room! When my significant other woke up earlier in the morning and left to get coffee, anyone in the hall could have seen me sleeping in bed. The room had no closet, no space for anything but a small suitcase, ONE small desk chair, and a desk. No dresser, no comfortable sitting chair, etc. Bathroom was about half the size of the room. The room had one SMALL window in a corner, making the room even smaller. The only advantage is that the small window faced a heating/air duct and we didn't hear a peep from outside/any bar noise as others have complained about.

Advice: if you are booking a room for two people, it is NOT worth it to save the 15-20 dollars and book the "non suite" room. The website pictures are deceiving. Additionally, the room was located directly next to the stairway and vending. You will feel cramped and you will not have enough space for your belongings. Compared to other Embassy Suites rooms, this is a huge disappointment. Would I stay here again? Probably as the other amenities were nice, but I would book a normal suite room.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank KGBnwu
EmbassySuitesHotel69, Front Office Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Portland - Downtown, responded to this review, January 28, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Tripavisor.
I sincerely apologies and I am sorry to hear your dissatisfaction with your room. We have many different room types and "non-suites" are smaller than a typical suite at our hotel.
I also wanted to thank you for complimenting our staff and our other amenities.
Please contact me on your next trip to our hotel so I can personally assist you with your room choice at our Historic Embassy Suites Hotel.

Sincerely
Gorana Tifekchian
Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (368)
  • Arabic first
Baltimore, MD
Reviewed January 15, 2011

Wow - I had a hunch this hotel was going to be nice when I booked it for a business trip, but was truly blown away at how great it was when I checked in. The hotel is actually a historic property with an awesome, high-ceiling lobby area and Mezzanine that overlooks the whole thing...it's very nice to experience. The staff was very friendly, the suite I had was huge and spotless, and the room service was very fast and efficient.

I had been skeptical of the Embassy Suites brand for awhile as being a faded member of the Hilton line of hotels, but this one has changed my mode of thinking. Thanks for a great stay!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Genghisdon
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 30, 2010

This hotel is located about 5-8 mins walk to the main shopping area of Portland in a beautiful old building and has a very ornate lobby and traditional style decor in the rooms. I had a suite which was large and beautifully quiet and comfortable.
This was my first stay at an Embassy suites and I'm not sure about the positioning of the brand, partly full service Hilton with an Aveda spa in the lobby and pay internet but breakfast in the basemet was worse than a school canteen with a slow line for everything, hideous coffee, dirty tables and noisy.
All in, I chose this as I am a Hilton Honors member but would have been far happier in a better location in the Hilton downtown.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
3 Thank joeyjo99
Pinehurst, North Carolina
Reviewed December 10, 2010

Great place to stay. Good gym, wonderful pool and spa pools. Sauna is good and hot. Rooms are clean and comfortable. My only negative is the lack of affordable self parking and free Internet.

• Stayed December 2010
1 Thank Chuck P
Lake Forest, CA
Reviewed November 19, 2010

My first time in Portland and after a day of air port trauma - I was greeted by pleasant staff, easy check-in and a beautiful, well-appointed suite. The room was quiet, impeccably clean and I can say I can not remember the last time I slept so well away from home. The manager's reception in the evening and the complimentary breakfast in the morning were very nice and a most welcome perk of the hotel. The location was fantastic and within walking distance to many excellent restaurants and shops. Thank you, Embassy Suites, for a wonderful introduction to Portland.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
EmbassySuitesHotel69, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Portland - Downtown, responded to this review, November 20, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. We are so glad that you have enjoyed your stay with us. It is nice to hear that our staff made a difference in someone's traval. We look foward to your return visit.
Washington, Utah
Reviewed November 8, 2010

Just returned from a weekend at the Embassy Suites in downtown Portland. We rode the train down from Seattle, and the location was very convenient to the train station, the waterfront, and the Saturday market. We walked everywhere with no problem. Our suite was very comfortable and had some nice amenities: Two high-quality big screen tvs, a microwave and refrigerator, bottled water and chocolates delivered while we were out, and a comfortable bed. The Manager's reception was very popular with drinks and nibbles. Breakfast was a treat with made-to-order omelets (the cook was amazingly quick with the number of omeletes he had going all at once), pancakes, bacon, sausage, etc. The pool area included two in-ground jacuzzis and a sauna, along with the beautiful, warm pool. We had the whole place to ourselves for an hour. I had a wonderful massage in the spa (by Amy). Only one thing bothered us (just a little). The windows in our room were very dirty, so when the sun was shining (we got lucky in Nov.), we had a hard time enjoying the view from our 5th floor window. We have already gushed over the place to several friends and plan a return visit in the future.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank wanderlust087
Thank you for taking the time to post your comment. It is nice to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us. Please accept our apologies for the housekeeping challenges you have faced during your stay.
We appreciate your feedback and look forward to your return visit.
If there is anything I personally can do to make your stay more enjoyable with us, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at:
gorana.tifekchain@hilton.com
New Germany, Minnesota
Reviewed October 18, 2010

In Portland for a trade show, we tried the Embassy Suites, as our normal hotel was booked solid. Normally when I think of Embassy Suites, I think of a newer hotel. This is in an historic building. The lobby is turn of the century, (20th) with old-fashioned grandeur and modern touches. Our suite was comfortably appointed, with a separate living room with a wet bar. The bedroom, although on the small size, was more than adequate. Of course, the smaller room sizes were due to the age of the building. The bath was equipped with fluffy towels, and for tall people like my husband and me, a showerhead that was actually above our height! Couple the elegant suite with the hotel's complimentary happy hour (top shelf liquors were available for a nominal charge) and the made-to-order omelet breakfast, and we have a new favorite in Portland. The only problem we had was with an overcharge on parking, but that was fixed immediately, and with a smile and apology.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business