“Comfortable & Excellent Value”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Portland - Downtown
Ranked #18 of 141 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
Los Angeles
“Comfortable & Excellent Value”
Reviewed October 5, 2010

My husband and I had a terrific visit at this moderately priced yet elegant hotel. It's important for us to have a refrigerator and microwave as well as a coffee maker and all were supplied at the Embassy Suites in downtown Portland. Also, having a separate living room away from the bedroom is a luxury and very affordable at Embassy Suites. Breakfast is included in the price -- made to order omelets, pancakes, waffles, fresh fruit, yogurt, cereal and sweet rolls--more than most hotels that charge an extra fee! A very large pool with two spas is available, too. The staff was cheery and helpful. The neighborhood is fine yet on the fringe of a slightly seedy neighborhood. Be mindful yet not fearful of your surroundings. All in all, a great value!

• Stayed August 2010
1 Thank Davidsweetie
EmbassySuitesHotel69, Front Office Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Portland - Downtown, responded to this review, October 9, 2010
Thank you fro taking the tiem to post your comments. We are so thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you again for your feedback.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (361)
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed October 2, 2010

The hotel is beautiful, classic, and historical. The lobby restaurant is great...you would never guess you are in a hotel! The rooms are super spacious.

My only problem was housekeeping... The hotel offered a door hanger that you could fill out and hang on your door, requesting a particular window of time for housekeeping during your stay. I chose between 12-1pm so I may sleep late. My first morning there housekeeping knocked and entered at about 8:30am. So much for my request. I filled it out again for the next day (my check out day) and the same thing... 8:30am... Good morning!

Sleep quality was also poor due to the AC unit. I think it can't handle that sized room on a 90 degree sunny day. I figured that out the first night I was there so on my second day I purposely closed certain shades and curtains & set the AC to a comfortable level to keep the temperature in the room down throughout the day. When I returned that evening the AC was off and every shade and curtain was wide open. And my room was again so warm, it was difficult to sleep.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Thank your for taking the time and comments on your stay at the Embassy Suites hotel. We are so sorry to hear about your housekeeping challenges you have faced during your stay. Please accept our apologies for a less than exceptional service. We will share yoru comments with our team for training opportunities. We hope to have the opportunity to serve you in the with the level of service you are accustom to.
If I may be of assistance to you, please do not hesitate to contact me direclty.

Gorana.Tifekchian@hilton.com
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed September 5, 2010

This was the second time my wife and I have stayed at this location. Great location lots of things to do surrounding the hotel. We were celebrating my wife’s birthday and I had an entire secret weekend planned where she had to open envelopes for each designation. Part of the surprise was checking into the Embassy suites at 3:00 in an upgraded room and have a cheese tray and drinks waiting for her inside the room. Well we didn’t get to check in to almost 5:00. They forgot the cheese tray. It put us off schedule for the rest of the night. They did comp us a cheap bottle of champagne.

I do have to stay it is a beautiful hotel. The staff is very polite. They do need to work on taking better care of the customers when things go wrong. This is a pricey hotel and you expect to be taken care of which my wife and I felt we were not.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SALEMFM6
EmbassySuitesHotel69, Front Office Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Portland - Downtown, responded to this review, September 21, 2010
Thank you for your recent feedback regarding your stay with us.
Please accept my apologies for the challenges you had faced with your stay. I am excited that you have chosen our hotel for your special occasion.
I have shared your review with our staff in efforts to improve the hotel's operation.
As an Embassy Suites Hotel we pride ourselves in exceeding our guest's expectations and clearly had fallen short here. We do however hope to have another opportunity to serve you with the level of service you are accustom to.
If I may be of assistance to you in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Gorana.Tifekchian@hilton.com
Coos Bay, Oregon
Reviewed August 24, 2010

I am puzzled by the rave reviews of this place. Sure, the lobby and building is quite grand but the room itself was not worth $217. For that price, I should have had luxury appointments such as a robe, lots of amenities and a luxury feel. Tiny bottles of shampoo, conditioner and lotion. No body wash, no showercap, basic bar soap. Bed was comfortable but other appointments were just standard.
The windows were plexiglass sealed so they did not open. I felt sealed off from the world, the smells and sounds of the city and the great fresh air of Portland. The Washington Square Embassy Suites is the same. I also see that the new one out by the airport does not have opening windows, either. After being in recycled air on planes, it is awful to go to a room that also has recirculated air.
I do applaud them for giving a choice for those who smoke, but to not be able to open a window, just isn't acceptable.
I will not be staying at Embassy Suites anymore. ...especially at that price.
There are great hotels in Portland for that price and their windows open.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank fisches
Thank you very much for taking the time to leave us valuable feedback about your recent stay.
Hotel management takes your feedback seriously and is always looking for ways to improve our product to meet our guests needs. Only through feedback from our guests like yourself we can improve as a hotel.
If there is anything we can do to win your loyalty back, please do not hesitate to contact me direclty at Gorana.Tifekchian@hilton.com
malawimike
Reviewed August 24, 2010

This is a classic hotel with beautiful touches. The lobby is grand, and has wonderful architectural features (I love old hotels -- they don't make them like this anymore). From the minute I arrived I was greeted by professional staff who never grew impatient with my request for a different room (I wanted to be moved away from the elevator), my forgetfulness (I locked my key in my room immediately), or my questions (I was starving and needed someone to point me toward some food). The room was pretty much standard for Embassy Suites. Nice bed, two flat screen TVs, table/desk for working, and the standard sleeper sofa. Special kudos to the managers for providing healthy snacks during the manager's reception (veggies and fruit). One thing to be aware of: the location is not horrible, but you can certainly encounter some colorful aspects of Portland just a block or two from the hotel. If you have young children, just be aware. It should not keep you away -- just be aware.

Parking is pricey: $28 a day for valet, $18 if you self park (but self park does not include in/out privileges).
Not much in terms of drawer space: some in the living room, and then the night stands. The armoire was adequate.
Ask for a room with a view: the hotel is shaped like a three-pronged fork and you could end up looking right in to another room if you are on an internal part of the prongs.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank malawimike
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay with us. Our staff are always pleased to hear that they have helped to make someone's stay more enjoyable. Once again we appreciate your feeback and look forward to your return visit.
Santa Rosa
Reviewed August 23, 2010

I'm glad management reads these reviews. So let me start off by saying that the front door staff and the housekeeping staff could not be better. The "front door" tends to include both valet parking and bellhopping, and boy, did we need both -- fully loaded cars for our wedding party, tons of clothes and luggage, and all handled with a smile by Darren and the others who were on duty.

The rooms are what they are -- it's a remodeled old hotel, and the redesign was I think all it could have been. But may I suggest the time has come to start to remodel and upgrade the furniture and decor? It is beginning to seem a little stale.

The location for us was ideal --- the wedding was only a few blocks away, and the hotel is right next to Old Town/Chinatown, which is a fun place to be (Kells' pub is not to be missed, and Dan & Louie's historic oyster bar is around the corner from that. (Does the line at Voodoo Donuts *ever* shrink to just a handful?) And while the hotel is not as convenient to shopping as many, MAX will take you to Pioneer Courthouse Square for free, and the stop is pretty close to the hotel -- takes you to the airport, too.

The main thing I would change is the breakfast. It just needs to have more choices and more attention to quality, including the coffee, which is way below Portland's standard. It seems to me that management has gone too far in trying to save money, and the result is that I, for one, don't plan to stay more than two days in the future. Of course it is true, I suppose, that only the Heathman or possibly the Benson has a really first-rate hotel breakfast, and no one else would try to compete; but it seems to me a few tweaks, and a little more money spent, would go a long way to making the experience better. Years ago, I stayed at other Embassy Suites that had a far better breakfast, so I know it can be done.

Also, given the number of guests who are *not* there on business, breakfast on weekdays should be til 10:00 a.m. With a 9:30 closing time, it is a zoo, and it doesn't need to be. With the 10:30 closing time on weekends, things more much more smoothly.

Some friends really appreciated the restaurant (Kincaid's). Not super-gourmet, but lots of food choices, a reasonable selection of liquor and beer, and above all in that boisterous neighborhood, a quiet but still busy place to have a drink and a chat.

Oh. And please have piano players on duty more often in the lovely lobby. It adds a ton of charm to the place.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed August 18, 2010

We traveled to Portland for the first time recently. The Embassy Suites is in a pretty good location. It is walking distance from several restaurants, shops, and sights. The staff is polite and helpful. The rooms are nice sized. The complimentary cocktail hour and breakfast were very nice additions to our stay. We would return to the Embassy Suites on a future trip to Portland.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple