“Another great experience at the Embassy Suites”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Portland - Downtown
Ranked #19 of 144 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed June 10, 2007

We stayed for 3 nights in an Executive Suite, room 403. The room was wonderful -- very spacious and spotlessly clean with an extremely comfortable King bed. It was a quiet corner room with lots of windows overlooking the city and included a large conference style table that would seat 8. This wouldn't have been my first choice for a room, but it came in handy when my husband had to do some work and it was all that was available on that particular weekend.

We tried the free buffet breakfast one day and it was surprisingly good. The maid service was great, and they allow you to choose the time you'd like to have your room cleaned. We ordered room service one evening and the food arrived 15 minutes later, piping hot. The front desk staff was friendly and very helpful.

My one very minor complaint: The windows don't open and are all completely sealed with big sheets of plexiglas. I love fresh air and would like to have one or two that opened, even a crack.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled on business
3  Thank SeattleSarah

Reviewed June 4, 2007

Building better than staff. This hotel is extremely quiet for being downtown. A great full service breakfast free with the room, which is beautifully designed and very roomy. Nice desk area lots of electrical outlets no complaints. Desk staff seemed to need a little work in their hospitality skills, not very knowledgeable. Catering staff needs lots of assistance in learning their area, did not return calls properly or communicate to banquet staff properly .

Stayed: February 2007
2  Thank ontheroad57
Reviewed May 29, 2007

Just wanted to re-iterate all the other great reviews - stayed at this hotel in April with my husband, girlfriend and 7 month old. We had a two bedroom/two bathroom suite, which was wonderfully comfortable.

The doormen were amazing. We came from Vancouver, BC, and got stuck in the Everett/Seattle/Tacoma rush hour traffic on a Fri, so it took us over 8 hours to get to Portland with our baby crying most of the time. When we arrived, the doormen asked if we wanted valet or self-park and I wearily asked how much each was. The doormen could see how exhausted we were and immediately said he would give us valet for free for the three nights we were staying there. Then he made sure we checked in quickly, took us to our rooms, got us ice and asked us many times if we had any questions or if there was anything else he could do for us. Thus, our first impression of the hotel was wonderful.

The breakfast had great tasting food that was always replenished and plentiful. We never made it to a manager's reception, but I have no doubt that would be great as well.

In terms of noise, we live in downtown Vancouver, so in comparison, downtown Portland is really really quiet. So we didn't think there were any noise problems. Never heard any other guests either.

Being a former hostel/backpacker, I still think spending ~$75-100/night/person is ridiculous, but in my older age and with a baby now, comfort often outweighs cheap costs. So if you're looking for a convenient downtown location, and all the extras that come with staying at a nice hotel, this place is definitely worth the extra dollars.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank Joanna100
Reviewed May 21, 2007

I know AAA tends to label a huge range of hotels as 3-diamond, but I couldn't disagree more with their rating this hotel as 3-diamond. This was a luxurious stay, and I felt this hotel truly deserves 4 diamonds. The lobby has a grand, classic style. The hotel has been totally upgraded with all modern standards, however, and one never has the sense of sacrificing comfort for the visual appeal of this hotel.
The elevators are modern. The plumbing is up-to-date with excellent pressure and stable water temperature. The rooms were very quiet. My mother, cousin, and I stayed in one of the two bedroom suites (I had the small bedroom and he slept on the sofabed in the living room). I need to wear earplugs for 70% of my hotel stays (since I'm a light sleeper), but did not need to here since I never heard from my neighbors (or even from my cousin watching TV in the living room--one of three full-sized TV's in the suite).
The one negative (or perhaps positive depending on your point of view) was that I don't think many rooms have much of a view. My bedroom faced an alley--but that made it very quiet since there was no street traffic. The big bedroom (my Mom's) had a bit of a view, but might have had more traffic noise. The building is not tall enough, however, for any rooms to have a good view, i.e. of the Willamette River.
Beds were comfortable. As with most Hilton properties, there were five pillows with different characteristics to accommodate different guest preferences.
The breakfast was extremely generous and fresh. The omelet station had a cornucopia of filling choices. Seating was plentiful, even during a busy time (the omelet line was slow, though), and the space is visually appealing despite being in the basement.
The location was convenient to the Trimet trains, with a station to the airport two blocks away. It's also in the fareless square area, in which you can go to other central locations without paying a fare. It's also an easy walk to Chinatown and the Skidmore marketplace.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with family
11  Thank lebelgo
Reviewed May 13, 2007

Just like almost all the Embassy Suites I've stayed at -clean, nice staff, great full breakfast. Would recommend in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: June 2003, traveled as a couple
1  Thank EdieTraveler
Reviewed May 13, 2007

This is a marvelous hotel, the lobby and the room were very nice, the breakfast is elaborate, and the manager's recreption is generous. As noted in so many other reviews, the staff is great -- we came by bicycle and had to check them in and out of the storage area, and we always treated in a very friendly and efficient way. I can't imagine that there is a better place to stay in Portland.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bebseattle
Reviewed May 11, 2007

My wife and I recently stayed at the Embassy Suites in downtown Portland. I was there for business, she was there for leisure. After reading a number of reviews on Trip Advisor, I was looking forward to a great experience. I was not disappointed! The desk staff (with one exception), the food service staff, and the management were wonderful. The hotel is beautiful and very clean. The food (breakfast and manager's reception) were great. We were extremely impressed with how friendly, helpful and service oriented the hotel staff was.

My one unpleasant experience was with the evening auditor - a man who was not committed to the high quality of the Portland Embassy Suites experience. Fortunately, after bringing my unpleasant experience with him to the attention of the hotel management, the issue was addressed quickly, proficiently, and to my satisfaction.

Of special note is the outstanding concierge - Brenda. While I was in my training sessions, my wife had the opportunity to explore the city on her own. Brenda spent a great deal of time acquainting my wife with the city, suggesting several options for shopping, dining, and touring. In addition, she helped my wife arrange services for a manicure and pedicure even though the hotel spa was completely booked.

I would highly recommend the downtown Portland Embassy Suites. It is our hope to return at some point.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled on business