“Classy & easy access to downtown eats & to do things”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Portland - Downtown
Ranked #18 of 139 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
Peoria, Arizona
“Classy & easy access to downtown eats & to do things”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2014 via mobile

Beautiful lounge area. This historic hotel is well appointed & good walking distance to everything. My only beef was that you have to pay $9.99 per day for Internet access (via phone too) unless you go down to the lobby or have AT&T or Hilton hotel membership. Given this is not a cheap hotel and much lower priced hotels have FREE access, this just seemed cheesy. Breakfast was great and happy hour good but I would be willing to go for one glass of free wine and have free Internet access in my room! Parking is high but so glad to have valet given my husband has a disability.

• Stayed July 2014
EmbassySuitesHotel69, Guest Relations Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Portland - Downtown, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
Thank you for your kind review, Barb, and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (355)
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2014

Lovely hotel with superior staff, always helpful and friendly. A FREE happy hour with snacks and drinks was very nice as was the free breakfast. Beautiful pool and many accomodations for the handicap.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
HillColorado, thanks for taking the time to review us and say such nice things! We will see you again I hope!!
Philadelphia, PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2014

This was my first time to Portland, Oregon. I decided on the Embassy Suites because of the location downtown and because of the usual perks (breakfast, mgrs reception, etc).

The Embassy staff was great. The front desk folks were enormously pleasant. Parking is not cheap. I did not use the valet, but the guys seemed extremely efficient. The self parking garage is across the street and extremely convenient, and $10 less a day. THe garage is...really tight...so if you have a big SUV or don't like tight spaces, go valet.

First...Portland. A very nice place and walkable city, but thing I noticed when arriving from the airport to the Embassy Suites was the enormous homeless population. I am from Philadelphia and am no stranger to homeless folks, but this was simply unreal. The folks I encountered on the streets were friendly (for the most part), with the occasional stuck in the 1970s hippie wanna be still trying to find him or herself.
I mention this not as a political statement, but instead because of how it impacted my comfort walking around the city. In the daytime, it was fine. At night, I thought before I walked, and as a result ended up (fairly or not) eating in the hotel an awful lot.

The Embassy Suites property is in a historic building. The lobby is very nice and very historic looking. The hotel has hosted many US Presidents in its history which is cool. If you are a HHonors person and have stayed in the historic Chicago Hilton you will understand the once 700 room hotel now being in the 250s with regard to the layout of the rooms.

ROOM: It seems there are different room types and layouts. I had a very nice room on the 8th floor. It was complete wall of windows. Very large living area. OK bathroom. Great bedroom area. The view was so-so, but the natural light was fantastic.

This hotel does something I have never seen before: on the first day, I had a door tag that asked when I wanted my room made up each day. I put the time I preferred and stuck it in the hallway. Every day at that time, the room was cleaned. What a great idea...every hotel should do it.

There is a restaurant in the lobby called the Portland Prime. Nice. Good happy hour. Pleasant staff. Overpriced menu otherwise. Many many options around, and every happy hour is cheap. I really liked the Thirsty Lion around the corner.

A note to people interested in the Voodoo donuts. It is around the corner. Always a gigantic line. I had a donut and frankly I did not get the hype.

Green Features: It is Portland...recycle cans everywhere. The hotel seems to follow the city's desire to recycle and be Earth friendly.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
LeaveFromPA, thank you for the nice words about your stay and our hotel. I am so happy you were able to embrace the history of the Multnomah Hotel and enjoy the life of the city. Sounds like you did a lot while you were here and I hope to see you again for a future stay!
Olympia, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2014

The hotel lobby had a very elegant look. The hotel restaurant was good. I recommend the ahi. Breakfast was good but somewhat bewildering. Rather than all food service being in the same place, food items were widely separated and it took a while to discover all of the options. Parking was strange. Even though the parking lot was directly across the street, because of one-way streets it actually required several blocks and three signals to get from the check-in temporary parking to the parking garage.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Your comment about the parking lot makes me giggle, Tim, because the one-way streets even confuse me! I hope you will come back and stay with us soon as you are now a seasoned Portland driver! Thank you for the review. :)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2014 via mobile

Ridiculous 48 hour minimum cancellation notice or pay entire amount of the room plus tax. I paid $342 for one night in a room I was unable to stay in. I talked to two different individuals on the phone, both were rude and were pushing me to cancel my reservation so the hotel could, obviously, get paid twice for one room. I will never do business with this hotel again. I will never do business with the entire chain again.

Stayed July 2014
Micha, I am sorry you ran into some issues with our policies and I hope you will reconsider staying with us. Please contact us if you have questions or we can Make It Right for you. Thank you.
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2014

We just returned from a week long trip in the Northwest. We spent one night at this hotel before we headed on to our next destination. When we checked in, our rooms were not quite ready (it was several hours before their designated "check-in" time.) The man who stood at the valet desk was extremely helpful! He told us about several different places to eat, things to check-out during our limited time in the city, and the best time to check out VooDoo Donuts. (I am sorry that I did not catch his name or his actual job title! He could have been the concierge or the head of Valet!) The hotel itself was clean and the architecture was beautiful! The location was good because it was near the water front and VooDoo Donuts and it was only a few minutes' walk from Powell's and from Deschutes Brewery (which I would highly recommend)!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
EmbassySuitesHotel69, Guest Relations Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Portland - Downtown, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Stefanie, it sounds like you had a fun “happy accident” while you were here. I will make sure to tell the Valets the kind words you wrote. Please come back and stay with us again for a longer visit so you are able to see more and more of what Portland has to offer! Thank you again for the review.
Lakewood, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2014

Without a doubt the finest Embassy Suites in which I have ever stayed. We had a corner suite which had windows on three sides. Two huge rooms, king bedroom and completely separate beautiful living room. The decoration was new and fresh, very handsome and clean. There was not a single flaw to the accommodations. We used the restaurant and bar off the lobby and enjoyed the drinks and food (however the music was way too loud -- live drums). The price is a bit high. Two nights cost us about $750 with all the unexpected taxes tacked on to our room rate (which was already high). Self parking is available but not obvious when you arrive so we defaulted to valet which was an extra $7 per day over self parking. Parking cost about $35 per day. All in all, I felt that although this is a beautiful hotel, it was pricey. After the first night at 10 am in the morning, I found a card slipped under the door stating that since i had a "do not disturb sign" on my door (prior to 10 am) that the maid would not service the room that day. i had to call housekeeping to complain about this and request the room be serviced. I had never experienced this before so early in the day.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
James, we are so happy you liked our building and the big rooms! I will take all your feedback to the appropriate departments so we may better serve our guests. Please come back and visit us again soon so we can Make It Right and WOW you! Thank you for the review and have a great summer!