“Really liked it”

GreenLeadersGold level
Tacoma, WA
“Really liked it”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2013

Our family of 4 stayed here for 5 nights in April 2013 over spring break. The kids loved that it was a block from Voodoo Donuts (OK, I did too), and it was conveniently close to a MAX light rail stop. I loved that it is all suites, and we had plenty of room for my husband and I in our own bedroom, plus our 8-yr-old on the hideabed and our 13-yr-old on a rollaway that they brought up for us. This was probably an extremely nice hotel in its day, but don't be fooled by Embassy Suites stereotyping... it is still nice, and different from other standard business hotels. It has this huge area where there is a free breakfast (complete with omelet bar, pancakes, waffles, cereal, bacon, sausage, etc) and a happy hour later. There is a game room tucked away behind that room which I think most people didn't know about, as we were usually alone in there (has arcade games, pool table, air hockey, and a TV). The boys loved the pool, and its 2 hot tubs. There aren't many downtown hotels with pools. There also aren't many family-friendly restaurants within walking distance to this hotel - exceptions include Old Town Pizza (great), and Rock Bottom Brewery (good, but a chain). You can walk downtown from here - we walked all the way to Jeld-Wen to see a Portland Timbers game, which was probably a couple of miles. We took the MAX to the zoo one day and that was very convenient. We took Amtrak to Portland from Seattle, and then a cab to the hotel, but we probably could have walked from the Amtrak station... it was a very short cab ride. Would stay here again.

Room Tip: 1-bd corner suites have tons of space for a family of 4. Staying on a higher floor might help with...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (355)
Wichita, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2013

From this hotel you can walk a short distance to most of the downtown attractions and restaurants. Just make sure you get a deal on parking or you'll have to pay additional for that. Breakfast includes a chef cooking omelettes to your liking. Walls facing hallway seemed a little thin with regard to noise but overall it's a nice place which you'd expect when paying $175+ per night.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Princeton, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2013 via mobile

The suites are very pleasant and the hotel is in a good location - lots of good restaurants nearby and close to trolley and light rail transport. There is a fairly good included breakfast including hot dishes and omelets made to order which I like but my wife (who favors fruit and healthy things) finds the breakfast a little lacking. One great thing about it is that the food is served on real china rather than plastic or paper plates as happens in so many mid-range hotels. The hotel also offers a "manager's reception" every evening with cocktails, beer, wine, and snacks.

The lobby is splendid - it was a grand old hotel in earlier days, but the breakfast and cocktail party area down 2 floors from the lobby is cavernous, dark, and not particularly pleasant - a pity because with some renovation it could be a pleasant space.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gogocar
Vernon, British Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2013

The room was comfortable, every amenity was available. The room was very clean. Valet service was pleasant even when dealing with a tired 2 year old. I would stay there again. It was close to the train station and Saturday Market. Also across the street from Voodoo donuts although that may not have been such a good thing. Luckily there is a fitness center.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Concord, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

l stayed at this nicely restored historic hotel on Thursday through Saturday night in mid-April. I enjoyed my stay very much and will definitely be back. I took the train to and from the airport and it was a breeze, taking all of forty minutes or so each way. The stop downtown is not far from the hotel.

Check-in was handled quickly and politely. All of my interactions with staff were quite satisfactory. The room I chose was a top floor king corner suite. It was spacious, quiet, and nicely appointed. The modestly sized microwave and refrigerator were adequate for my needs, the bathroom was well-appointed with an ample supply of good towels, the wireless internet was fast, the views were great, the TV had good channel selections, and there wasn't too much ambient noise from outside. I heard nothing from other rooms during my stay.

My trip was a solo visit to tour the city sans car and it worked out really well for me. Portland is a great walking city and all of downtown, the Pearl District, and Chinatown/Old Town are close by. You can grab yourself a Voodoo donut basically across the street and head one block over for the Saturday market. The Williamette river is right there nearby. I was dieting so I skipped the food options in the hotel but I found what I needed at a Whole Foods which was only a ten minute walk away. I was also able to easily walk to the theater district to catch a show on Saturday night. I took the Best of Portland walking tour on my first day there and I highly recommend it as a good way to get acclimated to the city.

I loved Portland. It's a great city to visit without a car and just walk your way around! The Embassy Suites Downtown is a good value. Just be aware, especially late at night, that there is an abundance of street people in the area, but you're generally in the company of plenty of other tourists so I wasn't overly concerned.

Room Tip: Choose an upper floor room to minimize street noise (there is a small additional fee).
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank southwest_traveller9
Orlando
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

Awesome hotel! Renovated Art Deco Lobby. It was a 5 star experience at an Embassy Suites? Pleasantly surprised . Loved it. Restaurant in Lobby was top notch as well as free breakfast and room service. The staff were perfection. Loved the place!! Beds very comfortable.(we carried the queen mattress onto the rollout couch and created two exquisite sleeping experiences. We stayed 6 nights.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Rochester, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013

We stayed here for four nights in May, 2013. The location is excellent - we walked to everything we wanted to go to, but to take the public transportation (we did not rent a car in Portland because it is so easy to go so many places in the city that a car is not needed, but rent a car if you want to go outside the city) would require only a couple minute walk to very inexpensive public transportation. This was a quiet neighborhood, but our complaint on the sleep quality is the noise from the air circulation system the hotel has. We started in one room, but as soon as we walked in we could hear the noise from the large circulation motors just outside the window, so we asked to be moved to a quieter room.. They did this very quickly and with no problems or delay. That second room was much better, probably as quiet as the hotel can be, but still there is a bit of a constant noise that bothered our sleep.

The free breakfast was excellent - hot items ( eggs, potatoes, pancakes, bacon, sausage, and omelet cooked to order) plus milk, juices, coffee, tea, muffins, hot and cold cereals, and toast & bagels. We never had problems with long lines or with finding a table in the eating area. In addition, there is a Manager's Happy Hour each evening from 5:30 to 7:30 with free wine, beer, and mixed drinks plus a few "munchies" to go with the drinks.

The suites are very large - gigantic by European standards. The bedroom is plenty big enough and the living room is about as large with a couch, chair, desk, and a small kitchen area - refrigerator and microwave oven.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple