“Almost perfect.......until the last night” 4 of 5 bubbles

Embassy Suites by Hilton Portland - Downtown
Ranked #16 of 137 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
South Orange, New Jersey
“Almost perfect.......until the last night”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2012

Have stayed at many Embassy Suites Hotels for business. This was a lovely remodeled/clean/spacious hotel with ample free breakfast & good location.

My main complaint: I called the front desk to report a loud party next door to my room. The front desk staff didn't seem too concerned. Security was sent & after knocking several times on the "party" door, they asked the occupants to tone it down a bit (the volume was only lowered a fraction) as the lady in the next room (me) had complained. I feel this was a breach of my personal security. When a fight broke out in the hallway (by my door) a few minutes later, I again called the front desk. This time no one picked up. Probably saw the room # that was originating the call & decided that I was a cranky woman. Keep in mind it was now 12midnight. I needed to be up at 3am for an early morning flight home. Realizing that I wasn't going to get much rest, I moved the king size heavy comforter & pillows to the living area stiff/uncomfortable couch. As the noise continued (TV & radio), I finally drifted off to about 45 minutes sleep. Definitely not a good ending.......Uncaring front desk personnel & security who risked my safety.

Room Tip: The Room 303 TV & radio are right next to the wall. You can hear everything.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank mckennly
EmbassySuitesHotel69, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Portland - Downtown, responded to this review, December 2, 2012
I would first like to apologize about the experience you had during your recent stay with us. Please be assured that we take noise issues seriously and do the best that we can to control the situation, including eviction of the distruptive guests if necessary.

I don't want you to feel like our staff would purposely avoid your calls, it is most likely that she was away from the desk at the moment and didn't get to the phone in time. Regardless, I am sorry that it left you feeling like you weren't being taken care of, so please accept my apologies on behalf of the hotel and let us know if there is ever anything we can do for you in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (346)
Montgomery, Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2012

The Grand Lady as they like to call turned 100 last week and I was lucky enough to be there for the celebration. They have done a great job staying with its history but adding enough modern comforts for a great combination.

Room Tip: If you can upgrade to the Mezzanine rooms as the space, view and proximity to all of the hotel servi...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Victoria bc
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2012

We had a great stay here over the weekend. The room was very spacious and as I am in the military a great discount. The complimentary breakfast was fantastic with a multitude of choices. This certainly saved us around $50 a day. The Coctail hour was fun as well with free flowing Wine Beer and a signiture coctail. If you want something different to dring they sell other drinks at very low prices. The hotel is downtown and a quick walk to the Markets and shops. Voodoo Doghnuts is on the opposite corner so I was dispatched at 0600 on the Sunday Morning to buy some (there was still a queue!). The parking was over the road and a fair price for the city. I would have no hesitation at staying again.

Room Tip: The Higher floor the better the view
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your recent stay with us at the Embassy Suites Portland Downtown. We love to hear that our guests enjoyed their stay and were able to take advantage of our fantastic downtown location. Sounds like you had a great time and hopefully we will have the pleasure of seeing you again!
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

Conveniently located within walking distance from the riverfront and many restaurants and bars this beautifully renovated historical hotel was a nice surprise! The hotel itself has a lot of style and warmth, along with an indoor pool and jacuzzis. Rooms are clean and spacious. The service was excellent, everyone was very friendly and made a big effort to make sure we enjoyed our stay. If you visit in the summer you are right near the big farmers market/fair on the water front, which is home to many vendors selling food, plants, jewelry and so much more!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for the wonderful review! I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay. But even more moved by the fact that our hotel staff played such a prominent role it making that happen. We truly care that our guests are well taken care of and I'm glad you experienced that first hand. Hope to see you soon!
Bega, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

From the moment we left the taxi with multiple bags, nothing was too much trouble for the valets. As we were much too early for check-in, our bags were stored and reception staff assisted with directions around Portland. Reception called us later to advise our suite was available. The suite was great for 3 adults, two bedrooms (1 king), 2 bathrooms and comfortable sitting room. The bed was heavenly! Complimentary breakfast had quite a good range to choose from (including made to order omelets) and once again service in breakfast room was excellent.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you kindly for writing such a nice review of your stay with us. It seems as if our staff made you feel welcome and well taken care of from the moment you arrived to the very moment you left. For that I am thrilled. We hope you will make the journey back to the states soon and again get the pleasure of providing you a comfortable place to stay. Thank you again!
Culver City, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

My wife & I stayed there for 2 nights last week. When we first pulled up in front of the hotel, the valet asked us if we were valet or self parking our car. We asked what the difference was and were told "it's $30 to valet, $20 to self park". I asked where the self parking lot was, the valet pointed across the street and we decided that we would self park. While checking in at the front desk, we were asked again about self/valet parking and this time were told that it costs $20 each time you enter the self parking lot! We then decided to valet the car as we were planning to use the car a few times a day. When I went back to the valet and told him we would be valet parking the car, I started to get, and continued to get, an attitude from the valets despite tipping them each time. The second day of our stay we pulled up to the hotel at around 4pm, I handed my keys to the valet and he asked if we would "need the car again today"? I could tell he was disappointed when I told him I wasn't sure. Imagine having to decide vacation plans around a valet's approval of your plans! When my wife and I checked out the next day after a 2 night stay. The valet pulled our car up for us and didn't even offer to help with our bags, even after I tipped him for pulling the car up!
The room was huge and a very nice breakfast was served. Room service was great too.
Would not stay there again because of the valets.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
I am terribly sorry and saddened to hear of your experience with our front door staff during your time with us. This is definitely not the level of service we strive to provide our guests and so I am sorry that it is the level in which you received. I understand that you don't feel like you'd want to stay with us again, but I would love the opportunity to make it up to you and have you back.
Longwood, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

This renovated downtown hotel is not your typical Embassy Suites. Spacious rooms on top of the excellent made to order breakfast, plus lots of eateries in walking distance. Area is great for walking to downtown attractions and riverfront. Be aware of one way streets that require a good navigator!

• Stayed October 2012