“Tiny spot but coffee is worth the stop”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Spella Caffe

Spella Caffe
Ranked #318 of 4,249 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Takeout
Neighborhood: Downtown
Bend, Oregon
“Tiny spot but coffee is worth the stop”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2014

We almost missed this tiny cafe, tucked in the middle of the block on 5th street. We wanted to support local busnesses so we googled cafe shops near our hotel. This was within a couple blocks walking distance and was a great find. Open Monday - Friday 7:30 to 3:30pm, closed Saturdays and Sundays. Good coffee . A small cafe, just enough room to get your drink while 5 or so people crowd behind you to wait in line. No lingering here, just grab coffee and go. A few delicious but sugary bakery options.

• Visited May 2014

Portland, Oregon
“Best Espresso in Portland”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2014

I've been roasting my own coffee for 15 years, pulling shots at home for nearly 20, and I can honestly say, with a bit of authority, that Spella has the best, and consistently has the best, espresso I've had in Portland. And the funny thing is, it rarely makes the usual "Best Coffee" lists that appear in newspapers, magazines, websites, etc. I can confirm that many of the winners of such lists are some of my least favorites in town. So, go figure.

Let's just say that Spella roasts his beans with care and knowledge, trains his staff properly, and manages to achieve a level of excellence others only think they've reached. Every shot I've had, dating back to his days in a cart, has been balanced, properly sweet, and totally satisfying. I appreciate his Italian bar approach to his business, but often wish he had a bit of seating indoors, but that is a minor quibble. The coffee is what matters, and at Spella, you will not be disappointed.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank SambaMaster
“Good peeps, great brew”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2014

Love in a cup --we went here every day of our visit. We came for the coffee and stayed for the fun conversation.

Visited February 2014
Hidden Hills, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best Chai Latte”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2014

Great handmade Chai Latte and really nice people. Willing to substitute Soymilk and honey instead of sugar and milk.

Visited February 2014
Seattle, WA
“Great coffee”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2013

Go HERE for your coffee--not the Starbucks or even Stumptown. Easily the best coffee around in Portland. Came recommended by the concierge at my hotel across the street.
Check it out!
And--by the way, I am a coffee snob, and hail from Seattle.

• Visited November 2013