“A Perfect spot to end a busy business day”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Modera

Hotel Modera
Ranked #26 of 139 Hotels in Portland
Arroyo Grande, CA
“A Perfect spot to end a busy business day”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2009

I very much appreciate the cleanliness and attention to detail. The staff was enthusiastic and helpful, but not over-bearing. Great restaurant and bar for dining meant I did't have to leave the hotel (raining).

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Spaslo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (311)
  • Korean first
Carlton, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2009

Loved all the modern art and how close it was to all of downtown. All the staff were extremely helpful and made our stay feel like it was their top priority. The restaurant attached had great food and even better drinks. Even when we came in dripping from the rainstorm outside they didn't make us feel like any less then any other guest. The modern clean rooms were very warm and inviting. It was a great stay and I look forward to enjoying a room with them again.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
ILKLEY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2009

Well located if you can penetrate the Portland one way traffic systems!
Very close to excellent free public transport so you don't need your car in the city.
3 night package included valet parking.
All staff friendly & helpful.
Room adequate with all mod cons but not very big. Wi-Fi worked fine!
Very good value for money.
In hotel Italian restaurant very good too.
They have a hotel in Seattle & I would check that one out next time!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Tacoma, WA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2009

This is an elegant hotel near Portland State University and the MAX line to downtown. I read reviews to select the hotel and was not disappointed. My room (single with king bed) wasn't big, but it was very comfortable. Breakfast (french toast) was outstanding. Service was excellent. I stopped by the front desk a few times to ask for directions and restaurant recommendations, and was always pleased with the helpful staff.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank idahoskp
Corvallis
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2009

Sleek, modern, safe, clean -- and even my snobby, picky wife loves this place.

First the big "con." If you want to be in the midst of the downtown action, the Modera is a bit off-center. It's located on the south edge of downtown, which is a very nice area and adjacent to Portland State University.

But, the downtown action, Pioneer Square, etc., is about a pleasant 10-minute to 15-minute walk away.

The minor "con" is the valet parking, but if you are used to big city hotels, valet parking is nothing new to you.

Yes, it is a remodel of some budget chain, but they have done a fantastic job, modern, sleek fixtures, bright colors, a nice outdoor garden area.

Their new restaurant is also very good. My only regret is that since the restaurant opened, the Modera ended their "free" breakfast. And the hotel/restaurant has taken some hits on the high cost of breakfast in the restaurant.

During my last stay in Sept. 2009, my wife and I had superb full breakfasts for a total tab of $25. When I go to my hometown chain diners (think Denny's), our tab usually hits $20 and the food <and service> is nowhere as good. So, I can't fault the cost.

The rooms are a bit small, but plenty of room to get done what you need to do.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
3 Thank Timbirr
West USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2009

We've stayed here twice before and it keeps getting better. The new restaurant is good...the service is excellent...bar is nice to have on site. I can only comment on breakfast and brunch...both were good. We also spent one evening before dinner around the fires outside drinking wine...very nice even on a cool October evening.

The staff at the front desk is great...very quick to take care of everything from checking you in, to charges for snacks, to providing directions and advice. We probably stopped by three times a day for something and everyone was great.

Last visit we had a difficult time getting our room made up before 5 or 6 PM. This time no issues.

Still a great location...if you are there on a Saturday am don't miss the farmers market a couple of blocks away...try their excellent local products.

In summary...inexpensive hotel with great service...attractive environment...a real value.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Western View
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2009

I believe this joint used to be a Days Inn. I think I stayed here years ago (am I dating myself?). If you look at the basic lines of the place from the outside, you can definitely see how this could be a 60's or 70's low-rise urban motel/hotel ... but the transformation of this place has taken it into a whole new realm.

Modern, chic, hip, retro ... all words that can easily describe the Hotel Modera. If you're looking for drippy, velvety, gold-leafed luxury ... this ain't your place. If you're looking for clean lines, bold colors, and interesting design, you'll love it here.

Rooms are a bit on the tiny side, but the windows are massive and pull in a lot of light (careful, those big windows are easy to see in at night ... exposing more of you than your typical hotel room windows). The bed was comfy and sheets were crisp. Overall you'll find earth tones accented by bright orange accents in the throw pillows, window coverings, and the bathroom wallpaper. Even the bath toiletries are coordinated ... they're orange in tone and made with blood orange extract (and they smell great!). The desk in the room is a bit spartan (following the theme) and the desk light was a CFL that was much too harsh for task work. A CFL with a lower lumen rating would have been a better choice. Free WiFi is too often a rarity and something I really appreciated about the Modera. It was plenty fast, too. I don't watch TV on the road, generally, but there was a nice sized LCD LG TV in the room.

The bath area is, again, compact but sufficient. The tub/shower were very clean and water pressure/temperature were great. The toiletries, as previously mentioned, were fantastic. The decor and choice of colors makes the space feel larger than it is.

There was more noise transfer in my room than I expected. I didn't mind the city noise from outside (you're in the city for God's sake ... get used to city noise). I was a little surprised that I could hear a gush of "water" through the pipes anytime anyone flushed above me (and there were a few floors above me, so you can guess how frequent this was). I could also hear, well, let's say "murmuring" from the room next door late one night.

I was a bit surprised that here, in the northwest and in the very green city of Portland, that recycling bins were not provided in the room. I understand that Portland has a comingled recycling program, but I was forced to throw away my used tissues and food scraps (not recyclable) with paper bags, receipts, and scrap notes (clearly recyclable). I told myself that somewhere deep in the bowels of the hotel, there was someone sorting through my trash and recycling what could be recycled ... but I'm also hoping to win Mega Millions someday, too.

Front desk staff were approachable and helpful. There was one particular guy I dealt with on checkout (can't remember his name ... red hair, though) who was one of the most genuinely pleasant front desk persons I've dealt with in a very long time. Valets were speedy, polite, and they always seemed like any tip I gave them was the first time they had received a tip in their life ... like they were so amazed and thankful. Kind of funny.

I dined with friends at Nel Centro, the restaurant in the hotel, and was very pleased. Selection was decent (even for this vegetarian) and the server was very polite and knowledgeable. One dish at our table didn't please us all that much and the item was comped, no questions asked, no big deal made about it. Very classy service.

The Modera is right on two streetcar lines and also on many bus routes (all free downtown). There are plenty of restaurants, shops, and services within a stone's throw of the hotel. Portland State University is right at its doorstep, too.

I've stayed in Portland many times and can honestly say that the Modera will be my first choice in the future. I just may request a room on the top floor so I don't need to hear items being flushed down the pipes.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business