“Experience Portland starting with Hotel Modera-”
Review of Hotel Modera

Hotel Modera
Ranked #27 of 140 Hotels in Portland
Portland OR
“Experience Portland starting with Hotel Modera-”
Reviewed August 24, 2009

We really enjoyed the quality of Hotel Modera. Everything was first class without the huge feeling of so many other hotels. You felt taken care of rather then just put into room number 1201 on the 12th floor. The staff went out of there way to make it a memorable occaision. The restaurant on site served a unique and refreshing menu that demanded recipes that had to be taken home. Really enjoyed our stay and we will be back again!!!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank travelerPortlandOr67

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (319)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Maryland
Reviewed August 23, 2009

Thought we'd try something new on a long w/end out to Portland; so glad we did. The Hotel Modera was a good change. How you ask? Good downtown Portland location, hospitable & accomodating staff, convenient & available amenities (free wireless I-net & free biz center); and comfortable, although a little small, rooms. I would definitely stay at this hotel again and would recommend to anyone travelling to downtown Portland.

2 Thank Jazzylivin
east coast
Reviewed August 23, 2009

I would recommend this hotel for anyone who is ok with their room in the 72-75 degree range. If you like a colder room at night, like I do, stay at a different hotel where you can control the a/c. Here, if the outside temp is moderate (like in the high 70's) all you can get is "ambient air" (the exact term the hotel staff used). The thermostats say the temp can reach as low at 65, but our room never got below the 70's.

Staff, restaurant, room service, courtyard, neighborhood were all wonderful. Even the valet parking was easy and efficient. If they improve their a/c I'd go back, or perhaps I'd return in a cooler season.

1 Thank eastcoast_9
Orange County, Ca.
Reviewed August 22, 2009

This beautiful hotel in the heart of Portland, OR well exceeded our expectations in all ways. It has a charm that's hard to describe, from the room itself, to its lovely courtyard and lobby. The staff was more than helpful and pleasant and friendly. We can't wait to go back. The restaurant and bar area are so charming. The menu is very nice and the food delicious. The only slight problem with the food (we ate there several times) is that the food was a little on the not warm enough side. Once the chefs get their timing coordinated in order that the food is served hot, it will be great. We will definitely stay at Hotel Modera on our next trip to Portland!

1 Thank ocgal67
San Diego, California
Reviewed August 21, 2009

The Hotel Modera is an trendy upscale hotel located in the heart of downtown Portland. I was in Room 517 with a nice city view. The neighborhood - just a couple of blocks from PSU Portland State University - is clean, safe, and very walkable.

The staff was friendly and helpful. Valet parking - your only parking option here - is not cheap ($20/night), but you get full in-out privileges. A call down to the front desk gets your car brought out of the underground garage to the front entrance in about 5 or 10 minutes.

You'll be within six short blocks of Tom McCall Waterfront Park along the Williamette River where you can walk for miles along the beautifully landscaped riverfront. About the same distance in the opposite direction, is the the Portland Art Museum. There are plenty of restaurants nearby.

With everything so close, you won't want to drive much. If you need to go far, there is a light rail stop a block away. Who needs a car?

I'm a travel photographer and I've stayed in all sorts of hotels. Overall, Hotel Modera was a very good experience.

PhotoCitizen.com

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank PhotoCitizen
Salt Lake City
Reviewed August 19, 2009

I stayed at Hotel Modera in July, 2009 and found it to be one of the best hotel stays I've encountered in a long while. The staff is not only friendly and helpful but the hotel treats each guest as an individual. The rooms are nice, updated and clean. The atmosphere of the hotel is unique, inviting and comfortable. I will definitely stay at the Modera on future trips to Portland.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Queens, New York
Reviewed August 19, 2009

If I had read some of the negative reviews before I booked here, I may not have come. Still, it worked out okay and I can recommend this place after all.

Looks like the prices have indeed come down for room and parking since the first reviewers posted here. Shop for the right deal. I found a good AAA rate on the hotel website (but not as good as some other tripadvisors got, apparently via prepay which doesn't allow changes, or hotwire) and their website wouldn't take my reservation for some reason (because we are 5?), so I called and a guy said he couldn't honor the good rate. I called back a day later, got someone else and she very cheerfully said she didn't know why the first guy wouldn't honor it and she took care of it. By then, this rate had disappeared from the website so this transaction was a pleasure to undertake. Now, the AAA rate is even lower on the website.

The bedding was plush. The rooms are somewhat small. The view of the street is nicely citified. The neighborhood doesn't appear scary, not even at night. The room and lobby design includes geometric lines, black garb for staff, nude sketches, coloring in mango and black and silver to shout "urban chic" at you. Although this property worked fine enough for our family, I don't think ours was the clientele they target. When I asked for recommendations for nearby sights, the front desk person didn't ask what we meant and began pointing out bars and swanky restaurants on her map.

We had to switch rooms because of a chemical smell that actually smelled similar to smoke. In the new room, there was a less smoky, but still chemical smell but the valet was so nice I didn't feel like moving again. Housekeeping was not perfect, but not terrible. You could walk a couple of blocks to the 7-11 for treats and drinks. Valet staff was prompt and very pleasant.

There is a fitness center they have an arrangement with about two blocks away. Kids can't use the pool or the facilities; they have some babysitting. My kids were tearfully hearbroken since we had called ahead and were told of the pool access and we found out only by walking in the cold to the very attractive center where we were told others had come with Modera passes and kids in tow to no avail. None of the Modera staff knew of the restriction but the guy at the front desk who took my feedback said, "Well, it is 24 Hour Fitness!" as if I should have known McDonald's doesn't sell wine. I didn't like that very much. I never heard of 24 Hour Fitness-- because I work out at home? because I'm from the East Coast? because I live in a suburb? Don't call me an idiot!

The bath products smelled unusually good and coordinated with the colors.

I didn't think the noise from other rooms prohibited sleep and I am a light sleeper. Could be I was lucky with my neighbors. You did hear from other rooms showers, TV, and doors slamming. The funny thing about the bathroom door is when I saw it at first I thought there was no bathroom door. It turned out that the sliding door that covers the closet moves to cover the bathroom. Watch your fingers! It's a clumsy door to move and then once you set it going, it flies and slams. Now you know the cause of all that slamming around you. To solve the problem in our own room, I propped a hand towel in the doorway to cushion the door's arrival. Now the door is open slightly but there's no slam.

Our faucet leaked but I didn't figure out that the puddling wasn't from splashy family members until our last night so I didn't report it until checkout.

Breakfast is not offered-- at least not obviously. There are books in the drawers that include good suggestions. Prompted by Man vs. Food show on the Travel Channel, we drove to the Stepping Stone for a good meal one morning, VooDoo Donuts for a fun meal, and Salvadore Molly's for a great selection for reasonably priced dinner.

Stayed August 2009, traveled with family