“Respectable presentation of luxury at this price; somewhat immature but responsive staff; terrific valet; good location.”
Review of Hotel Modera

Hotel Modera
Ranked #27 of 142 Hotels in Portland
Queens, New York
Reviewed August 19, 2009

If I had read some of the negative reviews before I booked here, I may not have come. Still, it worked out okay and I can recommend this place after all.

Looks like the prices have indeed come down for room and parking since the first reviewers posted here. Shop for the right deal. I found a good AAA rate on the hotel website (but not as good as some other tripadvisors got, apparently via prepay which doesn't allow changes, or hotwire) and their website wouldn't take my reservation for some reason (because we are 5?), so I called and a guy said he couldn't honor the good rate. I called back a day later, got someone else and she very cheerfully said she didn't know why the first guy wouldn't honor it and she took care of it. By then, this rate had disappeared from the website so this transaction was a pleasure to undertake. Now, the AAA rate is even lower on the website.

The bedding was plush. The rooms are somewhat small. The view of the street is nicely citified. The neighborhood doesn't appear scary, not even at night. The room and lobby design includes geometric lines, black garb for staff, nude sketches, coloring in mango and black and silver to shout "urban chic" at you. Although this property worked fine enough for our family, I don't think ours was the clientele they target. When I asked for recommendations for nearby sights, the front desk person didn't ask what we meant and began pointing out bars and swanky restaurants on her map.

We had to switch rooms because of a chemical smell that actually smelled similar to smoke. In the new room, there was a less smoky, but still chemical smell but the valet was so nice I didn't feel like moving again. Housekeeping was not perfect, but not terrible. You could walk a couple of blocks to the 7-11 for treats and drinks. Valet staff was prompt and very pleasant.

There is a fitness center they have an arrangement with about two blocks away. Kids can't use the pool or the facilities; they have some babysitting. My kids were tearfully hearbroken since we had called ahead and were told of the pool access and we found out only by walking in the cold to the very attractive center where we were told others had come with Modera passes and kids in tow to no avail. None of the Modera staff knew of the restriction but the guy at the front desk who took my feedback said, "Well, it is 24 Hour Fitness!" as if I should have known McDonald's doesn't sell wine. I didn't like that very much. I never heard of 24 Hour Fitness-- because I work out at home? because I'm from the East Coast? because I live in a suburb? Don't call me an idiot!

The bath products smelled unusually good and coordinated with the colors.

I didn't think the noise from other rooms prohibited sleep and I am a light sleeper. Could be I was lucky with my neighbors. You did hear from other rooms showers, TV, and doors slamming. The funny thing about the bathroom door is when I saw it at first I thought there was no bathroom door. It turned out that the sliding door that covers the closet moves to cover the bathroom. Watch your fingers! It's a clumsy door to move and then once you set it going, it flies and slams. Now you know the cause of all that slamming around you. To solve the problem in our own room, I propped a hand towel in the doorway to cushion the door's arrival. Now the door is open slightly but there's no slam.

Our faucet leaked but I didn't figure out that the puddling wasn't from splashy family members until our last night so I didn't report it until checkout.

Breakfast is not offered-- at least not obviously. There are books in the drawers that include good suggestions. Prompted by Man vs. Food show on the Travel Channel, we drove to the Stepping Stone for a good meal one morning, VooDoo Donuts for a fun meal, and Salvadore Molly's for a great selection for reasonably priced dinner.

Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank RoadTrip19Mom

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (322)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Ft Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed August 17, 2009

My girlfriends and I recently stayed a couple of nights at Hotel Modera while on vacation. We're all seasonsed travelers and have stayed at many high end hotels and resorts. All three of us enjoyed our stay there immensely! The staff although most of them young were by far in away the nicest, most accomadating group we have ever had the pleaure to deal with. They were all great and we became known to them as the 'Prescott Bunch'...everyday they were excited to hear what adventures we had been up to and always suggesting great places to eat & visit. The hotel itself was very chic, new and immaculate. The beds were very comfortable and the room overall was spacious enough for 3 women and a lot of luggage.
Hotel Modera and its staff were on par easily with any 5 star hotel I've stayed at. We raved about them throughout our trip. All three of us highly recommends staying there...you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
Washington, PA
Reviewed August 17, 2009

We stayed at the Hotel Modera for 2 nights and loved it. It's very modern and trendy, bright and airy. Everything was extremely clean and new looking. The staff is very young and energetic and were all eager to help with recommendations and directions. We did not eat at the restaurant, but heard very good things about it. The location was great for us...only a couple blocks from the light rail and you are in the fareless zone here so you can hop on and off for free for quite a distance. The Bite of Oregon fest was going on while we were there and it was only about 10 blocks easy walk from the hotel. Portland is a very walkable, beautiful city. It really has more of a feel of many neighborhoods rather than a big city. Lots of great restaurants and brewpubs and lots to see and explore. Maybe it was because it was a summer weekend, but there seemed to be tons going on everywhere we looked.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Tampa
Reviewed August 16, 2009

My husband and I stayed here in July (2009) and it was wonderful. Very clean and hip and trendy but not pretentious at all. The staff was super nice (although their "uniforms" reminded me of the Sprockets SNL skit) and the rooms were quiet, comfortable and cozy. The location isn't great - unless you're visiting the University - but it was quiet and easy enough to get around with a car. The restaurant was amazing and the fire pits in the courtyard each night were probably my favorite part. Every evening we'd retire down there for some wine and warmth by the fire. Heaven. There is no where else I'd stay in Portland!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank HungryTravlr
The Dalles, Oregon
Reviewed August 16, 2009

This is a great hotel like everyone else described. Right down town with easy access to bridges around Portland. Valet parking was about the only option which seemed pricey for Portland, and the breakfast in the hotel restraint wasn’t that great.. but the outside area by the fire pits for a late night cocktail made it all worthwhile. Room was really nice and didn’t lack for anything. Hotel rates on their web site are a bit high but other secondary sites offer very competitive rates. Great for a couple getaway

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Santa Monica, CA
Reviewed August 13, 2009

I've had two week-long stays on business trips and highly recommend this hotel. Clean, quiet, well furnished rooms with all the amenities. Nice restaurant downstairs. Easy in and out. Great service. Recommend a room facing the interior patio. And, it's close to Higgins, best restaurant in Portland!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
South Carolina
Reviewed August 12, 2009

My boyfriend and I spent three nights in this hotel in July and we very much enjoyed our stay. Excellent amenities included ipod docking station (ihome), marble countertops in a very modern bathroom, HD TV in room with good pay-per-view selection, hotel fridge and safe, faultlessly clean room, comfortable bed, and lots of pillows. The free wi-fi was a little slow, the room was a bit cramped, and the view was of the hotel's courtyard was fine but not special. I used the hotel's website to get free valet parking included in our price, but I had to request it from the front desk staff twice; and, even so, we had to have our bill corrected when checking out to take off the $20 per night parking charge.
We were able to easily and safely walk from our hotel throughout the downtown area and we ate at some great places -- Hot Lips Pizza and Veritable Quandry, both within 1/2 mile of the Hotel Modera. We also walked to the river and tried VooDoo Doughnut, a Portland icon, and bought coffee at Stumptown, which was highly rated.
The hotel staff was nice and friendly, and the valet parking was easy and convenient. I made a special request for extra towels one day, and the towels were rapidly delivered by a friendly housekeeper.
While staying in Portland, we took the car and drove to Mt Hood and through the Columbia River Gorge one day, which we thoroughly enjoyed. There is a great description of this drive, with places to stop and walk and look and even to eat on the National Geographic website (http://traveler.nationalgeographic.com/drives/mount-hood.html).
Overall, we would give this hotel a very good recommendation, especially for those who like upscale lodging and don't mind paying a little extra for it.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple