“All the right touches a girl could ask for on her birthday”
Review of Hotel Modera

Hotel Modera
Ranked #27 of 142 Hotels in Portland
Palm Springs, CA
“All the right touches a girl could ask for on her birthday”
Reviewed June 21, 2009

I stayed here at the Hotel Modera on my birthday and everything was right from the get go. The valet staff were extremely polite but friendly as well (not that annoying stuffiness). The front desk made sure I was covered for my big day from dinner reservations, directions, movie suggestions and even a cool little local movie theater the "in the know" front desk clerks sent us to! The courtyard was absolutely lovely. An escape in the city! Beds were the most comfortable hotel beds one could ask for.. This place a TOPS!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (322)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Oregon
Reviewed June 17, 2009

This was our second trip to Hotel Modera -- now we won't stay anywhere else. The lobby and private exterior courtyard are so inviting and comfortable, that I spent most of the day in the public areas!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Houston
Reviewed June 12, 2009

I was in Portland, and surrounding area, on business. I stayed at the hotel on two different nights. The staff was exceptional. From the valet to the front desk to the restaurant and housekeeping staff, everyone was welcoming and cheerful. This was my first time in Portland but the staff treated me as if I was a was life long customer. They all seemed eager to help with any request.
The restaurant was also a very nice surprise. I didn't really have any expectations when I invited my customer to meet me there for dinner. We were both impressed with the quality and presentation of the food. The food was exceptional and the waitstaff was very attentive. We really enjoyed our meal. There is also a very impressive courtyard serviced by the restaurant. It is a great place to eat or unwind with a drink after a long day. It was beautiful out there.
The rooms were extremely nice. The beds were very comfortable. I was able to get a full nights rest which isn't always the case when I travel. I bathroom was modern and the bathrobe was a nice touch. The new flat screen TV was also impressive.
My overall stay was wonderful. I would definitely stay here again, and highly recommend this hotel to anyone. I would also bring my family here when we come in the future.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank CranemanHouston
Auburn
Reviewed June 8, 2009

Once inside the Modera it's hard to tell you are in the middle of the downtown business district. Just blocks from something for everyone. The staff was great, rooms were spacious and clean. The outdoor courtyard, and newly renovated restaurant / lounge is a magnet for anyone looking to escape a busy day. If your just passing through town or on business I recommend you stop and stay at the Modera. It will be a decision you won't regret!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
seattlesouldude
Reviewed June 5, 2009

My first experience staying at the Modera was brief (unfortunately), but thoroughly enjoyable from beginning to end: Upon my arrival I was greeted by friendly up-beat (but not over-bearing) staff and found a bottle of wine, fruit, and a hand-written welcome note waiting for me in my room. Small personal touches like this go a long way.

I found the design elements of the hotel cool and hip with sleek backl-lit mirrors in every bathroom (my favorite part of the hotel), i-pod docking station, modern furniture, and contemporary local art displayed throughout. However, the overall feel was still very warm and inviting with hardwood floors/wall panels, rich orange and deep reds in the drapery, throw pillows, and rugs.

That night at the opening of the Modera's restaurant Nel Centro, I sampled an array of complementary appetizers. The gourmet pizzas and antipastos were good, but the juicy roasted pork with a slightly crunchy crust was my personal favorite (as my disproportionate serving suggested). I did my best to make a full-fledged dinner plate and added some tender sate'd asparagus and roasted peppers. After sampling some deserts from the restaurants nationally renowned pastry chef, my meal was complete.

On my way out the next morning, I walked through the Modera's beautifully landscaped courtyard (my second favorite aspect of the hotel). Had I not been on a tight schedule, I would have joined the scattered gathering of both hotel guests and locals relaxing in the morning sun with newspapers, coffee, and chirping birds. I was amazed at how the space could provide a private sort of "urban oasis" while still fostering a real sense of community. I'm not sure if this was the intended result but, either way, I found it charming.

Those of us who are familiar with the prior Days Inn property will appreciate the amazing transformation that's taken place at 5th and Clay. And I think EVERYONE will appreciate the look, feel and experience that make the Modera the "unique boutique" that it is. I'm looking forward to my next stay there and to a legitimate sit-down-dinner at the Nel Centro. Adding this element to an already top-notch hotel truly makes Modera the total package.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
reno, nevada
Reviewed June 3, 2009

My husband and I recently spent a night at the Hotel Modera and loved it. We had a great fifth floor room overlooking the courtyard (which is beautifully designed/landscaped) and the hills surrounding Portland. The location is at the south end of downtown -- a little off the beaten path. This means it's quiet at night but still close-in enough to get just about anywhere on foot or by streetcar. The style of the hotel is mid-century modern and the furnishings are beautiful, and true to the period. Really nice art hangs on the walls of the lobby and hallways (not your usual hotel "art"!).

The room was not especially spacious, but well lit, with a huge window, and nicely furnished. The bed was super comfortable and the marble bathroom was gorgeous. The rooms come with free wifi, too.

We had dinner at the hotel's new restaurant, which opened just recently. We had planned to just have a cocktail in the bar and go out to eat somewhere else, but the place was so stunning and vibrant we ended up staying for dinner. Great French/Italian food, a really nice wine list, and top-notch service.

The staff at Modera was very courteous, professional, and attentive to our needs. We would choose Modera again over all of Portland's other boutique and luxury hotels, hands down. We loved its modern luxury vibe!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Eugene, Oregon
Reviewed May 29, 2009

I stayed at the Hotel Modera on three different occasions in May.
Perfect location close to everything.
The rooms are hip and comfortable; super clean and modern, fantastic bed, awesome flat panel LCD television, the staff is professional and friendly.
My most recent stay was even better - Nel Centro, the on-site full service restaurant has opened and it is wonderful. Beautiful, well run, great bar and amazing food..... perfect for meeting clients or friends.
It's without a doubt my top place to stay in Portland.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business