“Our stay at the Hotel Modera was thoroughly enjoyable.”
Review of Hotel Modera

Hotel Modera
Ranked #27 of 140 Hotels in Portland
Lake Oswego, Oregon
“Our stay at the Hotel Modera was thoroughly enjoyable.”
Reviewed May 28, 2009

My husband and I were invited to the opening of Nel Centro, a new restaurant in Portland, Oregon and we decided to spend the night downtown at the Hotel Modera. The restaurant is in the same building as the Modera so it seemed convenient, and although the opening was grand and wonderful, the real treat was our stay at the hotel. We loved it from the minute we entered the lobby, a modern light filled space with amazing local art and a courtyard that is expansive and beautiful---plants, sculpture and outdoor seating. Our room was equally impressive. The decor is modern, but also plush and inviting. Lovely appointments, and thoughtful touches seem to be a hallmark of this hotel. The staff was friendly and thoughtful and made us feel welcome. The experience was 5 stars all the way!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (318)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
portland
Reviewed May 25, 2009

I stayed for my birthday, was given a free upgrade in room. The rooms are quiet, clean and modern; very nice. The hotel is close to all of the shopping, and has a great restaurant in it, Nel Centro, which I highly recommend.

Southeast Wastington
Reviewed May 25, 2009

What a refreshing delight. We went to Portland to play in the city and Hotel Modera was in a great location. We parked on Friday and never saw our car until we left on Sunday. The Hotel Modera is trendy and unque, with outstanding service. Along with begin close to all transportation, the water, the Pearl District and it is still nice and quite. We look forward to returning again and again

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Seattle
Reviewed May 22, 2009

My boyfriend and I have stayed at the Hotel Modera twice now. Once last year in August and again this year in May. Both times we have been nothing but pleased with our rooms, the service and especailly the staff. The rooms are always nice and clean and the beds are pretty big and comfy!!! The front desk has plenty of information for their guests regarding anything from where to get a great slice of pizza to all sorts of activities that one can do in the city. The location is near everything. You are close to the highway, downtown, and the transit system. However, if you are driving to the hotel, beware of the "bus only lanes" that is near it! Apparently it isn't legal to be in that lane unless you are a bus. Otherwise than that, everything has always been wonderful there. We are very much looking forward to our next visit to Portland and will definitely be staying there!!!!

Seattle
Reviewed May 21, 2009

My girlfriend and I stayed at Hotel Modera in early May for the second time and were just as impressed as the first time. The staff is very friendly and helpful for someone like my self who isn't to familiar with the city. They had great recommendations for dining and nightlife. The hotel very visually apealing as well as functional. The beds are very comfortable. The location of the hotel is great too. Easy access to downtown and public transit, to easily manuver the city.

Atlanta, GA
Reviewed May 18, 2009

While the Hotel Modera is a decent place in a good location, I had my engagement ring, another small diamond ring and $20.00 stolen from my wallet change purse while I was staying there. Someone actually went into my purse and into my wallet (probably looking for cash) and found my rings in the change pocket while my purse was in the room.

The hotel looked into the matter by checking the key cards and found that only two other people had entered our room during the time frame in which the items could have been stolen. But the manager vouched for the employees and decided I must have lost them, which I most definitely did not. The manager did comp our room for two nights, but I had something so much more valuable than that taken from me while staying here.

If you're going to stay here, I HIGHLY suggest you use the safe!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
3 Thank LoveOfTravel44
Hotel_Modera_GM, General Manager at Hotel Modera, responded to this review, May 20, 2009
Dear Guest,

I am writing in response to your recent review which accuses our Housekeeping staff of stealing your personal belongings. It is very alarming and unfair that you have posted this review without any evidence. I am sorry that you are missing items that were invaluable to you.

As you know, our hotel provides in- room safes in all of our guest rooms so you are able to secure your personal belongings during your stay with us. Although our Housekeeping staff has an impeccable track record regarding guest belongings, we do still encourage our guests to utilize these safes.

I invite you to contact me directly if you wish to discuss this further at 503-484-1070.

Regards,
Desmond Mollendor
Shaw Island, WA
Reviewed April 29, 2009

From the moment we arrived at Hotel Modera, to the moment we checked out, there were nothing but genuine smiles and sincere helpfulness from all the hotel staff. Cool music wafted at just the right volume in the lobby (different selections in the rest rooms and continental breakfast room), and fabulous art adorned all the walls (including photo art in the hallways approaching the room. The room itself was pleasant (more great art), with the most comfortable hotel bed we've ever experienced with lusciously soft faux fur throw blankets. The comforts extended to a luxuriously appointed bathroom, flat screen HD tv, an alarm clock/speaker with a plug in for your iPod, and the traditional coffee maker and mini-fridge. The hotel is within walking distance of the Park Blocks, Art Museum, and Downtown. Light rail and Streetcar within blocks of the hotel connect you with areas further out (the Pearl District, the Rose Garden, etc.). There is a lovely courtyard with tables and artificial fire pits at night. A first class restaurant (Nel Centro) is scheduled to open next to/part of the hotel in May. Parking is expensive, but available, and the attendants are friendly and reliable. What we love best about Hotel Modera (after two stays) is the staff--always helpful and taking a genuine interest in you. The only negative is a very, very small one concerning the room design--a single sliding door acts as the closet and bathroom door (it's mirrored), which is a great, efficient use of space, but because it is heavy, tends to slam with loud effect when closing the bathroom side. I gladly trade that small, occasional annoyance for all of the superb positives the Hotel Modera has to offer its guests.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family