“always happy to return”

Ranked #27 of 140 Hotels in Portland
Eugene, Oregon
“always happy to return”
Reviewed May 1, 2014

I have stayed at the Modera several times when I come in from Eugene 110 miles away to do business. The front desk is very helpful and attentive, the location is good, the rooms are nicely done, modern, neat, windows open, bed is very good. We have a discount so the value is very good. I will return.

Room Tip: Ask for quiet room if you want it, but as you get further from the elevator you get closer to a lou...
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (319)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Crofton, Md
Reviewed May 1, 2014

This was my first visit to Portland for a business trip. This hotel was suggested by my customer who had a special rate so we booked here. The pictures online look much more impressive than the actual hotel itself so kudos to the photographer and web designer. I felt like it was basically an old hotel that had some aesthetic remodeling done, but was really not overly impressive for what their rack rate is. The staff was very friendly and helpful and there is some nice outdoor space to enjoy. There was a nice little perk of having a complementary mini bottle of wine in the room which was heaven sent after a long day of travel and the bed was very comfortable. Also complementary wifi. The walls are extremely think and I heard every cough from my neighbor. There is a restaurant that is independently owned attached to the hotel that has a great atmosphere. I only ate breakfast there, but it was good. Wait staff was very pleasant and attentive. Overall it was a good stay, but I think a bit overpriced for its value. I would not pay full price for a room there. Think slightly fancier Hampton Inn.

1 Thank jerseygirl10577
alemodera, General Manager at Hotel Modera, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
Dear Jerseygirl10577,

Thank you for your review. I am happy to hear that you found your bed comfortable, had a great interaction with staff, and enjoyed the onsite restaurant Nel Centro. I’m also happy to hear that the wine amenity helped take the edge off after a long day of travel!

Stay tuned for our new website to be launched later this month. I think it will do a great job showing the real feel and experience of Hotel Modera.

Andrew Maffei
503-484-1070
amaffei@hotelmodera.com
Missoula, Montana
Reviewed May 1, 2014

The staff is very friendly and accommodating. The restaurant and bar were nice - good food, good happy hour. It was very busy though and we couldn't always find seating for happy hour. The last night we sat outside and the service was very slow. The rooms are nice. I was on 5th floor - a little noisy - there was an outside fan or something that was going off and on all night.

Friday Harbor, Washington
Reviewed April 30, 2014

What a delightful hotel. The rooms are an excellent value; comfortably furnished and fantastic beds with nice crisp white sheets. The internet wireless was quite speedy (a requirement for me) and all the other amenities were great.

The atmosphere is really pleasant and not your average hotel and not "hipster"... more like cultured with a young vibe. Great place and I will eagerly stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 30, 2014

I found Hotel Modera online but called for more information. They matched the online quote. The staff was friendly, we were able to use the free overnight street parking because we were leaving by 8 AM the each day, and the room was clean and comfortable. Free wifi, too. We enjoyed the outdoor gas fire "pit' (a modern long rectangle) while sipping on an evening cocktail one evening which was nice. My only complaint was the description of the "ADA accessible room" when I called. It was $25 cheaper so I was definitely interested. The hotel person said it had a "wheel in shower with a tiled floor and curtain vs. a tub". I thought, "no problem, big shower". It wasn't until the 3 of us were fully unpacked upon our late night arrival that we walked into the bathroom and saw that basically the whole bathroom was the shower. The drain is slightly off center in the room and the curtain pulls around that 2/3 of the bathroom. My 18 yr old son predicted the whole floor would get wet with the curtain elevated off the floor a few inches. We were too exhausted to repack and request another room, so we went to bed.. Unfortunately, my son was right. The water from the shower splashes under the curtain and extended around the toilet and under the sink. There is no 'bathroom sharing' while someone is in the shower (in our family we don't mind someone coming in to brush their hair or teeth when another is in the shower). I'm also the type of energy conscious person that actually reuses towels, etc. and we had to use them to dry the floor instead after each shower....it was cold to walk on the wet floor and it's also unsafe to stand and blow dry in the bathroom with a wet floor. We decided it wasn't enough of a problem to pack everything up (we had a busy itinerary and early mornings) but I wish it had been described better...I would have paid more for a regular room or at least have been more mentally prepared. The decor of the room and the hetle was chic and modern. There was a few streaks of clear fluid on the wall by the door...drink spill so only 4 stars for cleanliness. Other than that the beds were comfortable and the room was fine. If you don't mind a wet floor or if you are by yourself and want to save a few bucks, get the ADA room.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Reviewed April 30, 2014

I was extremely satisfied with my stay at Hotel Modera. The front desk as well as the housekeeping staff were very helpful and amicable. I felt safe and secure and the room was clean. This was my first time visiting Portland and my stay at Hotel Modera made it even better.

Room Tip: I was on the second floor away from the elevator but I did not book my own room.

Bangkok, Krung Thep, Thailand
Reviewed April 30, 2014

This is a lovely hotel with a boutique feel but with the size and amenities of a much larger property. The rooms were beautifully decorated and the bed was super comfortable. The staff were incredibly friendly and the location was perfect – we could just about walk anywhere (when it wasn't raining). Highly recommend the Modera.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple