“Very nice, relaxed, clean, good style.”
Review of Hotel Modera

Hotel Modera
Ranked #27 of 142 Hotels in Portland
pww214
“Very nice, relaxed, clean, good style.”
Reviewed September 1, 2008

Stayed here from Wednesday through Sunday of Labor Day weekend. Its a renovated Days Inn, but aside from the small elevators its hard to tell. The hotels strong points are its interior decoration, friendly staff, and the plaza where the firepits light up at night, its a great place to hang out, and will probably be improved if a nice restaurant / bar moves into the empty retail space. Its weak points are smallish standard rooms and small elevators, and absence of any food & beverage outlets (besides the continental breakfast, which was fine).

Would definitely stay here again.

• Liked — plank wood paneling
  • Disliked — no F&B
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled solo
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (322)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed August 28, 2008

After researching on TripAdvisor and a handful of other sites, I decided to book Hotel Modera as the compromise hotel between price and amenities and I have to say it turned out to be one of my favorite hotels. Granted, there isn't a pool, or a fitness center (though you can work out at the 24 Hr. Fitness place next door for free), or any handful of other options normally associated with a high end hotel--which it isn't--but there are more than enough qualifiers to put it in a class beyond a HIX or Hampton.

First of all, the design is great. Modern, but with enough natural wood (it is the Northwest after all) and warm tones to counterbalance the sleekness. The art in the common areas is well considered and not cheesy; I adored the infrared photos in the halls, and I absolutely loved the firepits in the courtyard. Every night they held wine tastings in the courtyard, and it was a great way to spend an afternoon.

The bed is super comfy. The bathroom is well kitted out with marble finishes and great framed charcoal drawings, and features wonderful Tarocco bath products (I love the orange scent). The bathrobes are great. I personally didn't mind the barn door hardware on the door that services as both the closet door and the bathroom door and found it to be a wonderful space saving compromise. I groused about the lack of full length mirror until I discovered it on the back of this door.

HD TVs. Nice continental breakfast. Pleasant staff. Three more things that rock. Oh wait. Four things, as it is clean, clean, clean. Did I say clean? Did I mention the great view of the hills?

As for the parking, we opted out of the valet and just parked on the street. We were up before 8 every day so it was no problem to feed the machine ($1.25 an hour, max of 3 hours) to last us until we hopped in the car to explore the city and environs. We were home after 6pm when the city stopped charged for parking, so it all worked out great. In four days, we never parked more than a block away from the hotel, and I think we spent less than $8 on parking.

Lastly, not to be completely over the top and positive on my review, the one beef I have was echoed by another reviewer. There isn't a dresser, so I never was able to fully unpack and settle into the room in the four nights we were there. And there aren't individual reading lights by the bed.

Overall though, two grotesquely oversized thumbs up (like a Gondry film) ladies and gentlemen, and I sincerely wish that Chicago had more independent hotels like this.

PS - Go eat at Clyde Common. Mmmm.

• Liked — Great sense of style at a great price
  • Disliked — No dresser.
1 Thank westonworld
Vancouver
Reviewed August 26, 2008

We were making our way down to Central Oregon coast area with a 2 night stop-over in Portland from Vancouver, BC. Hotel Modera had a very friendly staff who were helpful and accommodating. Unlike larger hotel chains, staff members were very personable. The hotel room wasn't very large but like the hotel, each room had a very "mod" look. I very much enjoyed the comfort and feel of this hotel - it was clean, quiet and the bed was extremely comfortable (I could sleep on that mattress for days!). The ambiance - with music/artwork & furniture decor made our stay very enjoyable.

Being a smaller hotel, it lacked a gym/pool but the 24 hour fitness gym (included with hotel cost) was a short block away. There is no cafe/restaurant but we are provided a free continental breakfast every morning. We also enjoyed the perk of free internet access (or if you forgot your laptop, free access to computer stations at the Business Centre).

The only gripe I have is the cost of parking per night charges ($27.00) which I found was high considering Portland didn't appear to be such a hip and busy town. We paid $144/nt for a king size bed suite in the upper floors. It was a very pleasant and enjoyable stay for us.

• Liked — Friendly staff, fresh & newness of hotel ambiance
  • Disliked — cost of parking
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
Southern California
Reviewed August 19, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Modera for three nights. The hotel is modern, clean, quiet and pleasant. There were no super-high rises next to the hotel so we had lots of light and pretty good views. The bed was pure luxury with a fluffy white duvet, faux animal throw blanket, lots of pillows. The bathroom had top quality marble and fixtures. There were three irritating things.

First, the bathroom door is also the closet door. It's a very heavy sliding door not easily moved with one hand. With two of us changing clothes and getting ready, the door was a real pain.

Second, there is no dresser for your clothes. There were two nightstands. The one on my side of the bed was so small that I could only keep my underwear in it. I kept my blouses and shorts in the other one. My husband lived out of his suitcase for three days. There was plenty of room for a dresser and we assume these rooms were furnished for solo businessmen who didn't need space.

Third, the air conditioning was noisy and we had to increase the volume on the TV three notches every time it came on.

The continental breakfast was nice and there's free internet that we used a couple of times. It's two blocks to the streetcar. If you miss the streetcar, then you might have a wait and it could take 15 minutes to get downtown.

With the $27 parking charge, I might try to stay at a downtown hotel rather than hassle the streetcar. My husband said he'd stay at the Modera again.

Lastly, you can use the 24 Hour Fitness gym a block away. They don't have towel service so you must bring towels from the hotel. When we got the gym pass at the front desk, the girl didn't tell us this and we had to walk back for the towels. Otherwise, the staff was excellent. They were all pleasant and super helpful with directions. I might stay at the Modera just because they were so friendly and welcoming.

• Liked — Luxurious bed and friendly staff
  • Disliked — $27 parking charge
Seattle, WA
Reviewed August 17, 2008

My husband and I wanted to spend a romantic weekend in Portland, so we hunted all over Expedia, Orbitz, and other websites trying to find something that wouldn't run us $200 a night. Lucky for us we found the Hotel Modera! We arrived about 10:30 at night on a Friday and found the large, open lobby full of people sitting around socializing and enjoying the outdoor patio. It's the first time I've ever seen a lobby used by people who were there just to relax.

We had requested a room high up in a quiet location and although there was a short computer delay in checking us in, they were able to put us on the top floor. It was indeed very quiet!

The staff were all very friendly, our car was pulled out of valet in a timely fashion each time we needed it, and breakfast was simple but filling. We took advantage of the 24 Hour Fitness passes one morning to swim, and used the wireless internet with no problems. The tv was HD, which made watching the Olympics delightful, and the iPod alarm clock let us listen to music in a cinch!

We will definitely stay here again if we decide to head to Portland again.

• Liked — Great staff, big comfy rooms, amazing price
1 Thank Macabre0