“Good Place in Downtown Portland”
Review of Hotel Modera

Hotel Modera
Ranked #26 of 141 Hotels in Portland
SFO
“Good Place in Downtown Portland”
Reviewed March 1, 2014

Did a few searches for Portland hotels that had onsite parking (valet) good food and drinks with a clean modern room. Hotel Modera seemed to fit the bill and it lived up to the research. Great staff and outdoor seating in lounge area a plus. Large, well lit bathroom. Also,one of the quietest rooms (Room 519) to get some much needed sleep. Room was a bit under powered for lighting and could use an extra mirror.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank WhirledTravelor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (322)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Los Gatos, California
Reviewed February 23, 2014

Although I only stayed one night at Hotel Modera, it will be my hotel choice for future visits to Portland. Nice rooms, efficient staff and good location. A contemporary, urban vibe all around. The attached restaurant and bar, Nel Centro, is a plus.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Irvine, California
Reviewed February 18, 2014

This review may be biased, because I love Portland the city, the people of Portland, the food of Portland; and wait did I mention how much I love Portland? Hotel Modera was delightful. Jason at the front desk and Jonny, the concierge were awesome. Always had great recommendations. The beds were comfortable, and the hotel was very clean and hip. Never tried the restaurant downstairs, but it always seemed to be poppin. We also didn’t try any of the amenities, as we were out exploring. Although there wasn’t much to do in the immediate vicinity outside the hotel, everything we did want to do or see was walking distance or a quick, bus or Max ride away.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed February 18, 2014

Hotel Modera is my firm's hotel of choice, and I'm about to spend a great deal of my life here. I couldn't be happier. It's a great location - easy to walk anywhere downtown, and ridiculously well serviced by public transit options. The concierge staff have been more than accommodating on the two occasions I've stayed there to date, and give reliably good recommendations for dining that reflect authentic Portland, not "paid for by sponsor" choices. That being said, I don't feel I'm compromising if I stay or invite clients to join me in the on-site restaurant. Just like the rest of the hotel, it has a hip but civilized vibe, modern and classy decor, and friendly, helpful staff. The rooms are clean, well designed, and the only thing that's slightly challenging, but not impossible, is finding easy access to outlets for tech gadgets.

Room Tip: Some rooms might be too close to public transit/road noise for some travelers - ask to not be roadsi...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed February 18, 2014

Just stayed here for 2 nights. First impression: attentive valet (that's their job), friendly staff, nice contemporary lobby, and very accommodating concierge. The concierge, in fact, was extremely helpful with recommending restaurants and even leveraging some connections to make a last-minute reservation at a very desirable restaurant ON VALENTINE'S DAY. That was impressive.
The main beef I had with this place is the rooms. They are tiny. I mean, I've had bigger rooms in New York City. The bathroom is small, and has this weird sliding door that it shares with the closet (i.e. close the door to the bathroom, and you've opened the closet). There is just enough room on each side of the bed to walk around it, but little room to do anything else. No dresser to unpack your suitcase, so those just have to sit there for your entire trip, unless you want to drag it out of the closet each day. The rooms also have thin walls--you can hear more than you'd care to above and beside you.
It's pretty obvious this was a redesign of an old motel, and for that base I'd say they did a very good job reinventing the place. The staff was nice and the restaurant was pretty good too. I'd give 3.5 stars if I could, but I just can't bring myself to give 4 stars to a 4 star hotel, when the rooms were that disappointing.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank JGS2014
Hotel_Modera_GM, General Manager at Hotel Modera, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Dear JGS2014,

Thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to leave a review. I appreciate you mentioning our attentive, friendly, and helpful staff, and I am thrilled we were able to help you secure a last minute Valentine’s Day dinner reservation.

During the 2008 renovation of the hotel we did our best to appoint all rooms with luxurious linens and well-appointed amenities and fixtures. While we were unable to change the original size of the rooms, many of our guests agree that they provide the class and comfort that you would expect from even a five star property.

If it is an abundance of space you seek, I would like recommend one of our Premier Suites for your next visit. It offers more than twice the space, and offers plenty of room to entertain or lounge about.

Best Regards,

Andrew Maffei
503.484.1070
amaffei@hotelmodera.com
Anaheim, California
Reviewed February 17, 2014

What a great hotel!! The staff was so nice and helpful. Rooms are above average in size and the style of the room, hotel and restaurant was very modern and sleek. I would stay here every time.

By the way the lil snacks in the hotel aren't tripled in price they're a buck or two!!!

• Stayed February 2014
Hood River
Reviewed February 17, 2014

Better for couples. We had our 9 year old daughter with us and there was no pool for her to enjoy! That's the only complaint I have. The staff was friendly, fast & efficient! Convenient to downtown activities.

Room Tip: Swimming pool should be N/A, as there was no pool. One of the reasons I gave the value an average r...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family