Hotel Modera
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$200
$343
$327
Travelocity
  • Restaurant
Inn at Northrup Station(Portland)
$184
$178
Travelocity
2,021 results
All reviewshour fitnessnel centro restaurantfaux furkeller auditoriumdays innvalet parkingcloset doorportland state universityhappy hourfront desk staffrestaurant downstairsmodern hotelfarmers marketrooms are smallfew blockshotel restaurantvalet service
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 18, 2014

Hotel Modera is my firm's hotel of choice, and I'm about to spend a great deal of my life here. I couldn't be happier. It's a great location - easy to walk anywhere downtown, and ridiculously well serviced by public transit options. The concierge staff have been more than accommodating on the two occasions I've stayed there to date, and give reliably good recommendations for dining that reflect authentic Portland, not "paid for by sponsor" choices. That being said, I don't feel I'm compromising if I stay or invite clients to join me in the on-site restaurant. Just like the rest of the hotel, it has a hip but civilized vibe, modern and classy decor, and friendly, helpful staff. The rooms are clean, well designed, and the only thing that's slightly challenging, but not impossible, is finding easy access to outlets for tech gadgets.

Room Tip: Some rooms might be too close to public transit/road noise for some travelers - ask to not be roadside.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed February 18, 2014

Just stayed here for 2 nights. First impression: attentive valet (that's their job), friendly staff, nice contemporary lobby, and very accommodating concierge. The concierge, in fact, was extremely helpful with recommending restaurants and even leveraging some connections to make a last-minute reservation at a very desirable restaurant ON VALENTINE'S DAY. That was impressive.
The main beef I had with this place is the rooms. They are tiny. I mean, I've had bigger rooms in New York City. The bathroom is small, and has this weird sliding door that it shares with the closet (i.e. close the door to the bathroom, and you've opened the closet). There is just enough room on each side of the bed to walk around it, but little room to do anything else. No dresser to unpack your suitcase, so those just have to sit there for your entire trip, unless you want to drag it out of the closet each day. The rooms also have thin walls--you can hear more than you'd care to above and beside you.
It's pretty obvious this was a redesign of an old motel, and for that base I'd say they did a very good job reinventing the place. The staff was nice and the restaurant was pretty good too. I'd give 3.5 stars if I could, but I just can't bring myself to give 4 stars to a 4 star hotel, when the rooms were that disappointing.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank JGS2014
Hotel_Modera_GM, General Manager at Hotel Modera, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2014

Dear JGS2014,

Thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to leave a review. I appreciate you mentioning our attentive, friendly, and helpful staff, and I am thrilled we were able to help you secure a last minute Valentine’s Day dinner reservation.

During the 2008 renovation of the hotel we did our best to appoint all rooms with luxurious linens and well-appointed amenities and fixtures. While we were unable to change the original size of the rooms, many of our guests agree that they provide the class and comfort that you would expect from even a five star property.

If it is an abundance of space you seek, I would like recommend one of our Premier Suites for your next visit. It offers more than twice the space, and offers plenty of room to entertain or lounge about.

Best Regards,

Andrew Maffei
503.484.1070
amaffei@hotelmodera.com

Reviewed February 17, 2014

What a great hotel!! The staff was so nice and helpful. Rooms are above average in size and the style of the room, hotel and restaurant was very modern and sleek. I would stay here every time.

By the way the lil snacks in the hotel aren't tripled in price they're a buck or two!!!

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed February 17, 2014

Better for couples. We had our 9 year old daughter with us and there was no pool for her to enjoy! That's the only complaint I have. The staff was friendly, fast & efficient! Convenient to downtown activities.

Room Tip: Swimming pool should be N/A, as there was no pool. One of the reasons I gave the value an average rating. We had top, corner room which was nice and quiet!
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed February 17, 2014

Decent rooms and average service. Parking at $30 valet only was a little redic. Bellmen were attentive, front desk were a little young and sounded scripted - did not give me confidence. Bathroom was tiny.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Justin h,

Thanks for your review. I’m pleased to hear you were satisfied with your guestroom. While I would have preferred to hear that your experience was outstanding, I am certain we will be able to impress you on your next visit.

While we are on the low end for parking rates in downtown Portland, we are excited to offer $1 parking for TripAdvisor users. This can be booked by following the link we've provided here on TripAdvisor.

We hope to see you again soon!

Best Regards,