“Beautiful hotel!”
Review of Hotel Modera

Hotel Modera
Ranked #31 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed February 17, 2014

At first I was a bit taken aback by the "old" outside but you really shouldn't judge a book by it's cover!

1) Rooms and lobby: big enough with a huge bed and reasonable bathroom. Lots of closet and drawer space. Small fridge was helpful. Very clean and well stocked. Lobby was beautifully decorated.

2) Food: delicious! Great outdoor bar area. Tried all the restaurants and was happy with all options. Service at the restaurants were also great.

3) Amenities: no gym on site but you did get a gym pass to a local gym which was 3 minute walk away. It was actually quite nice having access to a full gym like that.

4) Service: THE BEST. The concierge went above and beyond helping you find what you needed. We got great dining recommendations. He went so far as to call the place for us to make reservations. And when we got there, we got a small appetizer and dessert compliments of the concierge. What a great surprise! We also got great help with travelling suggestions (both local and to the airport). My business party and I were very very impressed!

Thanks for a great stay! We would definitely recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (2,000)

994 - 1,000 of 2,000 reviews

Reviewed February 16, 2014

We always stay at Hotel Modera when we visit Portland. Aside from the fact that the rooms are wonderful and the restaurant is great, we love the outdoor bar area with fire pits and the fact that you get access to the 24 Hour Fitness a block away. Most hotel gyms are so-so, and we really like having the ability to do a work out in a real gym.

2  Thank Ingrid A
Reviewed February 15, 2014

We only stayed for one night, but the Modera is a beautiful, intimate place. Great location. Beautiful mid-century inspired design. Easy overnight parking just a couple of blocks down the street. The bar/restaurant is beautiful with a lovely patio that in the winter had large fire installations going. Just a lovely hotel in the heart of downtown Portland.

Reviewed February 15, 2014

This is my 3rd trip to Portland and I wanted somewhere central, comfortable and with good value. I received all this in my stay at the Modera.

It's a very modern hotel and my room was a good size for me, very warm (my stay was during the 2014 snowstorm) and kept extremely clean and tidy. Staff were very courteous and friendly and happy to answer any queries during my stay (8 nights). The location is central - only a very short walk to the main shopping district and the public transport options were numerous close by - bus, light rail and streetcar, if you wanted to venture out further. It is right in the heart of the cultural district for concerts and the art museum (with a quite wonderful collection). The Nel Centro restaurant is attached to the hotel - I only used it a couple of times for breakfast but the food was fantastic and the service extremely attentive.

Getting there was easy using public transport from the airport. Just take the red line light rail from the airport all the way to town and get off at SW5th/Mall and it is a short walk south to the hotel.

I couldn't have asked for better in a hotel and it enhanced my stay in Portland. I will definitely return to Portland and Hotel Modera will be my top choice when visiting again.

Room Tip: I chose a room with a garden view which was lovely during the snow.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed February 13, 2014

I chose this hotel because it seemed to be the nicest, most reasonably priced one that was closest to the Portland VA Medical Center. And it was nice, though I don't care for the "modern" decor. The room was fairly small but comfortable, with a good bed and very nice shampoo, soap, etc. I was shocked at the $30 parking charge. So much for for it being economic. I was extremely dismayed that the sidewalks outside the valet area, were not cleared of ice and snow, particularly after I fell and broke my foot. They didn't seem particularly concerned that I was injured. Then there was the attached restaurant...guess that's for another review!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Hotel_Modera_GM, General Manager at Hotel Modera, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2014

Dear Jan B,

Thank you for your recent review of your stay. I am always happy to hear when a guest had a comfortable stay and found the amenities to their liking. I would like to recommend to you our TripAdvisor parking special. For TripAdvisor users only, we’re offering valet parking for $1!

If you would like, I want to encourage you to contact me directly to discuss your recent stay.

Thanks again.

Andrew Maffei
503.484.1070
amaffei@hotelmodera.com

Reviewed February 9, 2014

I stayed here while serving on jury duty. I normally wouldn't stay in a downtown motel because of the inflated cost but since the government was footing the bill I thought I'd try it.
First the cons:
I found the valet only parking charge to be a bit steep at $30/ night, plus tip. There are parking garages nearby that charge half the price. My car was parked only 50 feet from the front door.....
For the price of the room a small microwave oven would have been nice addition.
I had breakfast at the in house restaurant. The choices were very limited and the prices a bit high. But then again it is a downtown restaurant so the prices reflect this.
I was given a room tax exemption form from the federal government with their letterhead and signed by the Jury Administrator. The motel has their own form which required government ID or other forms of official identification which, as just a federal juror, I did not have. My form was eventually accepted but somehow I was left feeling as though I was possibly trying to pull one over on them or perhaps I was not entitled to the exemption. Yes, in the end the government paid for the room but I just wanted to do what was right.
All in all, not bad.
The Pros:
The staff was very friendly and helpfull. And I truly mean that.
They let me keep my car in their lot past check out time on my last day of jury duty.
The room was very clean and the bed very comfortable.
I asked for and received a top floor room.
Although I could hear the elevator and other room guests from time to time it wasn't excessive and I didn't feel it was any worse that other places I've stayed.
The bathroom was clean and stocked with the usual bath and shower items.

As some have noted, the bathroom door was a bit unusual. The closet and the enterance to the bathroom are right next to each other. They share a heavy metal sliding door. When the door was slid to the right it blocked entrance to the closet but allowed entrance to the bathroom. When slid to the left the bathroom was closed off and the closet was then open. The door didn't quite seal on the closet side when used to close off the bathroom. It's not as though someone could look in but there was a gap for sure. For those who prefer complete privacy, this could be an issue. But I was alone so I didn't worry about it.

All in all I enjoyed my stay here and I would recommend it to those who wish to stay in the downtown area.
For my next stay for jury duty I will be staying out of town and I will be trying out MAX. I still feel a bit awkward about the whole room tax form issue. I don't want anyone feeling as though I'm trying to rip them off or asking for something that I have no right to ask for. I only want to do what's right.

• Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed February 6, 2014

From the moment we drove up to the entrance, we experienced exceptional service. The staff was friendly and professional. The bed was very comfortable and the room was clean. Excellent experience overall and I would stay at Hotel Modera again.