“Nice central location”

Ranked #26 of 141 Hotels in Portland
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Nice central location”
Reviewed December 7, 2013

Across the street from the office made it convenient. nel centro restaurant/bar onsite was very good. Wish they had coffee in the lobby before 6:30am but I am an early riser. Valet's were very attentive and good with directions. I don't know about the thin walls others wrote about as I didn't hear any of the neighbors. There were no issues with my room. Very clean and modern. Daily paper delivered to room. Nice firepits outside in the courtyard. Overall a very nice stay.

Room Tip: Get on on the 5th floor overlooking the courtyard.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (322)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed December 6, 2013

The location of this hotel was awesome, right near one of the "food truck rows" that PDX has become famous for. Also very close to the art museum and other downtown attractions. I got a great deal and the late night menu with outdoor fireplace was particularly enjoyable. Highly recommended.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Salem, Oregon
Reviewed November 25, 2013

LOVED the lobby, the restaurant and the courtyard. Did not like the paper thin walls, hearing others conversations and their trips to the bathroom. Also, because I like my own bathroom privacy, I didn't like the pocket door with the big gap underneath or the lack of a fan.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Hotel_Modera_GM, General Manager at Hotel Modera, responded to this review, December 6, 2013
Erin K,

Thank you for your recent patronage of Hotel Modera. I am very happy to hear you appreciated the lobby décor, the restaurant, and the courtyard, but am disappointed to hear that you experienced some issues with noise from adjacent guests. We normally are very happy to assist with room moves when requested, and we also offer ear plugs for guests that might be extra sensitive to noise. Please feel encouraged to make a request for a room in more quiet areas of the hotel at any time before or during your stay. We would be very happy to accommodate you whenever we can.

Best Regards,

Andrew Maffei
503-484-1070
amaffei@hotelmodera.com
Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed November 23, 2013

When I go to a nice hotel, I expect a few essentials. But places is lacking.
1. I expect to have a full body mirror in the room for getting ready.
2. I expect a shower/tub wide enough for me to stand in.
3. I expect an easily accessible power outlet next to my bed for charging my phone.
4. I expect an air conditioner that is quiet enough for me to sleep and that doesn't incessantly turn on and off.
5. I expect a nice gym within the premises without me having to walk in the freezing cold 6AM in the morning when I do my daily exercise.

Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Jason C
Tempe
Reviewed November 20, 2013

Although location is a good walk to most shopping and restaurants, it is do able. Otherwise, close enough to take the light rail to most places a few minutes away. I like that they didn't have noisy ice machines. Instead, they had on each floor a nice built-in freezer cabinet where all the bagged iced were stored. The front desk were very helpful in suggesting places to eat. I highly recommend within walking distance the VQ for brunch. Overall, very satisfied and would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SunnysideTempe
Seattle
Reviewed November 18, 2013

The nicest part of the hotel is the walk up to the front desk and I'd imagine if the weather wasn't lousy, we would have spent some time there.
But, if you have to spend time in the room, I'm not sure I would recommend this hotel.
Now, it's possible we were in some weird tucked away room as it was a double with two queen beds but other than that, there was nothing in the room. In fact, there was about 12feet long and 8 feet wide of completely, unused area under the window. When I asked, I was told that "some of them have couches" and they could move us (should have selected this option) or they could bring something in while we were out. I selected the second option.
When we returned, there was a swivel-office chair sitting all alone under the window. It made me sad for that chair.
There was nothing else to speak of in this hotel, the bathroom was fine, boring. Everything was very clean and people were nice but I expect that of any hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank SavvySeattleTraveler
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed November 16, 2013

I haven't been to any other hotel in Portland but Priceline lists Hotel Modera as ranked 1. It's a pretty average hotel to be honest. Everything you would expect a hotel to be: clean, friendly staff, good location, average/smallish size rooms.

CONS

1) The location isn't super central downtown. If you're doing some shopping I suggest you stay at the Hyatt or Niles which is right by the malls and shops.
2) The pool isn't at the hotel but uses a fitness centre's facilities that is across the street.

PROS

1) It's cheaper that most the other hotels in Portland.
2) Quiet