“Nice but not for the Price”
Review of Hotel Modera

Hotel Modera
Ranked #28 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed September 26, 2013

Went there for the purpose of cutting down the driving time for my daughters' soccer game and to have an afternoon/evening in Portland with her and a few of her teammates. Due to several in town events, many places were booked and or had jacked up rates. Hotel Modera included.
I actually have mixed reviews about this hotel. Overall I thought it was pretty good. I think my at main issue is the price vs. what I expect at that price. I used points to buy down or this review would probably not be as nice.
Rooms small/average, beds very comfortable, restaurant very good and great atmosphere, hotel staff very helpful. Walking distance to shops, waterfront, Pearl. The main draw back is that it looks like a Travel Lodge with a serious facelift. Come to find out, that it is indeed that or something comparable. Bottom line, if you don't have to pay above $220/night, it is a fine place to stay.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Hotel_Modera_GM, General Manager at Hotel Modera, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2013

Nicole D,

Thank you for choosing Hotel Modera. I hope you daughter had a great game! While I see that you weren't impressed with the price of your stay, we truly believe there we provide great value for our guests. We have unparalleled customer service, fast and efficient valet, superbly clean rooms, and the onsite restaurant Nel Centro is absolutely incredible. Not to mention a host of other included amenities.

Thanks again for staying with us. I'm sure that on your next visit you will see what makes Hotel Modera a great choice.

Best Regards,

Andrew Maffei
amaffei@hotelmodera.com
503.484.1070

Reviewed September 24, 2013

Spent a weekend at Modera to attend a friend's wedding. Staff was extremely helpful, courteous and attentive. Room was nicely decorated and clean. One downside: there are very few outlets to charge your electronics. Didn't get to try the hotel dining/bar, but it looked great. The outdoor patio with the fire pits was very inviting.

The blackout drapes and quiet rooms helped make for a very restful sleep. The bed was so comfy that we almost missed our flight!

Reviewed September 24, 2013

We had a great stay at the Hotel Modera. The staff is impeccable, and the hotel has been recently renovated - the pictures really don't do it justice, the rooms and all of the grounds are beautiful. It's centrally located in downtown Portland, within a block of public transit.

Every member of the staff, from the concierge to the front door attendents, were unfailingly helpful, cheerful and polite. The rooms were also very modern and very well kept up.

Nel Centro, the onsite restaurant, had food that was both reasonably priced and delicious. There are also several gas firepits that you can sit beside after a long day and enjoy a cocktail.

The ONLY complaint that I might have is that the air conditioning is "motion activated", so if you come home after a long day out the room may be warm for a bit. However, the front desk was very happy to provide a few fans to help us cool the room down.

Overall, an amazing stay and I'd return at any time.

Room Tip: Try the top floor - it can be a little noisy on lower floors due to traffic.
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Our stay at the Hotel Modera was wonderful. I called ahead and had Jonny, Portland's #1 concierge, take care of several advance requests including a wonderful flower arrangement for the room, a couple of bottles of Oregon pinots (we were going to take a tour but decided to do our own private tasting!), and dinner reservations at Roe. Roe is the hardest table to get possibly in the Northwest and he worked tirelessly to get it done! Roe was awesome and Jonny is to thank for us getting to go there.

The hotel is immaculate, hip, retro-chic, and the restaurant/bar is wonderful. Everyone was awesome.

Room Tip: Choose a high floor room.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Hotel_Modera_GM, General Manager at Hotel Modera, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2013

Dear MacallanScotch,

What a great review! It is great to hear that Jonny was able to help make your stay memorable. I have yet to eat at Roe myself but I have heard excellent things! Thanks for staying with us, we hope to have you again soon!

Andrew Maffei,
503-484-1070
amaffei@hotelmodera.com

Reviewed September 19, 2013

I come up to Portland several times a year and stay a week at a time per trip. My first time staying here was so awesome that I have stayed another few times since. Modern decor, friendly staff, great food & drinks, central location to Downtown, Portland State University, and so much more. You have easy access to the trolley, light rail, and bus just steps away from the doors of this lovely hotel. Although it is missing its own fitness room, you are giving free access to the 24 hour fitness on the next block.
I don't have the words to praise this hotel any more than I have. It is like coming home. I will continue to stay here each time I come back to Portland.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 19, 2013

This hotel takes customer service very seriously. My partner and I arrived a few hours before check in, but the woman behind the front desk saw to it that we were in our room within 15 minutes. I joined my partner after his business lunch in the hotel restaurant the next day. My partner had already paid the bill and was doing business. Without skipping a beat, the waiter showed up with a large glass of water for me. It was 92 degrees outside. That evening I stopped in the restaurant/bar for an espresso. The restaurant was busy, but served the coffee quickly. The hotel is decorated nicely. Some of the whimsical touches made me think of a Kimpton. I would have given this place a 5, but the rooms were a bit small. That said, I'd certainly stay here again.

Reviewed September 18, 2013 via mobile

Based on reviews we prepaid $215 on Expedia. There was not much else available anyway. Civilized joint. Polite, efficient and hip staff. Totally easy stay. Definitely would stay again. Had to turn loud AC off which was not a problem. Room tight. Very attractive outdoor patio. We walked 1.2 miles through down town to Andina to eat. Easy stroll through a handsome city. Parked on street and fed meter at 6.00 a.m. should have used $22 valet maybe.

• Stayed: September 2013