“Great Staff, Pleasantly Furnished” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Modera

Hotel Modera
Ranked #26 of 138 Hotels in Portland
Portland, Maine
“Great Staff, Pleasantly Furnished”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013

This hotel takes customer service very seriously. My partner and I arrived a few hours before check in, but the woman behind the front desk saw to it that we were in our room within 15 minutes. I joined my partner after his business lunch in the hotel restaurant the next day. My partner had already paid the bill and was doing business. Without skipping a beat, the waiter showed up with a large glass of water for me. It was 92 degrees outside. That evening I stopped in the restaurant/bar for an espresso. The restaurant was busy, but served the coffee quickly. The hotel is decorated nicely. Some of the whimsical touches made me think of a Kimpton. I would have given this place a 5, but the rooms were a bit small. That said, I'd certainly stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (310)
  • Korean first
Alamo, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013 via mobile

Based on reviews we prepaid $215 on Expedia. There was not much else available anyway. Civilized joint. Polite, efficient and hip staff. Totally easy stay. Definitely would stay again. Had to turn loud AC off which was not a problem. Room tight. Very attractive outdoor patio. We walked 1.2 miles through down town to Andina to eat. Easy stroll through a handsome city. Parked on street and fed meter at 6.00 a.m. should have used $22 valet maybe.

• Stayed September 2013
Santa Barbara, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

We love this hotel! It's our second visit, this time with our 19 month old daughter. The room was a bit snug but still just as fab as we remembered. It's the only hotel on our two week road trip that set-up a pack and play for her when they saw we were arriving with a toddler in tow. Really lovely and thoughtful.

All the details are beautiful in both the public and private spaces, high design and yet extremely comfortable. The restaurant is fabulous and all the staff were attentive and well informed about ingredients and the fantastic wine list.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Tel-Aviv
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013

My husband and I just spent two nights at the modera

Pros:
Big Clean room
Very nice staff
had a bottle of wine waiting for us when we arrived
Toiletries are amazing

Cons:
The AC is so noisy it woke us up a few times
We found the city to be a bit disturbing. Every time we went out we were harassed by pan handlers. I read about Portland having a high unemployment rate, but this felt disturbing and unsafe.

In short, if the AC is fixed the hotel itself is great, but I'm not sure I'll be returning to Portland any time soon.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2013

We only stayed at the hotel for 2 nights - the first night was loud; the room was right outside a bus stop, and the buses ran until 12am. I was sort of used to this by the 2nd night and earplugs helped. There is a $27 fee to valet your car, and they park it on the street; the one time that we forgot to tip the valet, he gave us a reminder by commenting loudly to his co-worker, "we really need to pick it up on the tips tonight".

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Hotel_Modera_GM, General Manager at Hotel Modera, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
VicSu,

We wish we had a little more control over outside noise, but as a downtown urban hotel there are some city noises we cannot buffer. I’m glad the earplugs we offered were able to help with the noise. I would like to recommend reserving a Premier Garden King on your next stay, as it faces our courtyard and garden and is offset from the street noise. In regards to comments you heard from our valet, I would like to encourage you to contact me directly to discuss this event.

Best Regards,
Andrew Maffei
503-484-1070
amaffei@hotelmodera.com
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2013 via mobile

We spent 3 nights at the Modera which were an absolute pleasure.

Checkin was a quick and the staff were very friendly offering to provide transport and dining suggestions. Our modern and clean room overlooked the restaurant patio. The room was small but adequate for a few nights stay, filled with lovely furnishing and art work. The bed was very comfy with nice linens, we never heard any noise from outside our the other other room and hallway.

Breakfast was not included in the rate but we ate in the restaurant both mornings, I highly recommend doing this.

We also sate on the patio for happy hour which was fantastic, great prices for both quality food and drink.

My only complaint is the valet parking rate, which is quite pricey compared to the parking garage rate in Portland.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank AU_Traveler
White Rock, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2013

Hotel Modera was very nice. Our stay was August 28 & 29. I hadn't been to Portland before so didn't know the area - I think if I were to stay again, I might prefer something further north downtown or the pearl district but the transportation options abound in this area so it wasn't an issue. Staff were really great, and very helpful. They asked us if there was anything we wanted to find, etc right at check-in and the couple times we popped by with questions, they were very pleasant and helpful. It was nice to be greeted that way.
The room (city view) was really nice and clean - we did find the A/C to be kind of useless. We had it set to 65 the whole time and there's no way it was actually at 65. We were cooking hot during the night. It wasn't worth asking for a different room because we were only staying 2 nights and had bounced around every night prior so we were happy to just stay in one place. So we just stuck it out! When we were checking out, we mentioned to the staff that our room had a strong smell of cigarette smoke as well. I could smell it the second we opened the door. We are both non-smokers so that was unpleasant for us but again, we didn't want to be moved at that point!
The hotel restaurant was disappointing for us. We went for a cocktail after having dinner out. The restaurant was completely dead and our 2 drinks took at least 20 minutes to get to us! The server was embarassed but nothing was said or offered to make up for it. So we just paid our bill and moved on. It's a bummer, because we had heard great things about the happy hour.
All in all, our stay was very nice!! The price point was a bit steep for us but we were booking last minute so we didn't have that many options. I would love to visit Portland again, there is SO much to see and do, and the cuisine was excellent (we went to Clyde Common, Departure, Portland City Grill- amazing happy hour there - Stumptown, Deschutes, Rogue, Bailey's Taproom... seriously, no shortage of yummy options).

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple