“I didn't want to leave...”
Review of Hotel Modera

Hotel Modera
Ranked #27 of 142 Hotels in Portland
“I didn't want to leave...”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

This is a fab modern well keep hotel with a touch of the 'boutique' without the painful prices.

Professional and friendly staff always willing to help and polite to the max! As a solo traveller I stayed 3 nights and happily wandered about the city with this hotel as my base. Easy walking distance from PAM, Downtown, the Riverside and up to the Pearl District, but if you don't fancy the walk Portland is truly awash this public transport which is well kept, well used and such good prices (Britain take heed). I took the TriMet MAX light rail in from the airport approx $2.50 single. for a 40 mins journey.

I also had dinner and breakfast in the Nel Centro - good modern dining (see website for sample menu) and very busy so go early for dinner or book! Darn fine coffee!
It's not cheap but you get what you pay for with locally sourced produce and wines on the menu, and the service is very good. Lovely outside area too.

The room was spotless, well kept and a good shower and comfortable bed. Big enough for just me and I had a standard room - if there's 2 of you I think you may find it smaller by US standards.

I would more than happily stay here again if I am fortunate enough to get back to Portland

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (322)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Antimony, Utah
Reviewed August 10, 2013

First, it's super convenient that Modera is across from my office when in Portland. Modera is modern, warm, welcoming, clean and genuine. I love the heart of downtown location and the staff was incredibly kind and helpful.

The lobby was spotless, although I never had a chance to visit the hotel bistro, it looked lovely and the outdoor space very welcoming.

My room on the 3rd floor was slightly on the small side but perfect for me. Bathroom well supplied and nicely new. Love the modern retro feel. I love the welcome note and wine and the newspaper at my door in the morning. The beds and linens were very nice. I also like that the elevators are key controlled making sure those on room floors belong there.

I will certainly be back.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Carlsbad, California
Reviewed August 10, 2013

My husband and I stayed three nights at Hotel Modera and were very impressed with the hotel furnishings, amenities and the fantastic staff. We enjoyed cocktails and a snack in the hotel's restaurant Nel Centro and it was very nice. The hotel has stylish digs with interesting decor, lots of splashes of black and orange in addition to a neutral palette. The linens and towels are sumptuous and cozy. Even the soaps and shampoos furnished were unique and refreshing with their citrus scent. The hotel is located adjacent to the TriMet train but the trains are so quiet we never really heard them. The staff went out of their way to greet us and help us with directions and restaurant choices. We choose not to rent a car for this trip so parking was not an issue for us at this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed August 9, 2013

This is a clever renovation of an old Motel 6 or equivalent in downtown Portland. Wonderful location for walking around the city. Room is minimalistic but comfortable. No extra space. When you open the closet door, it blocks the bathroom entrance. We stayed for 4 nights and it was part of a block for a wedding with a 15% discount off regular rate. Nice restaurant. Free wifi throughout the hotel. Really nice outdoor space for relaxing. Didn't check out the fitness center.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Denver, CO
Reviewed August 9, 2013 via mobile

I liked this hotel. We only only stayed here one night and it suited our needs. Location was good, service great, and nice contemporary decor. The only negative wad our king room was tiny. My kids were in a double queen that was larger. Also, in both rooms, the A/C did not work very well at all. We were all too hot at night and slept poorly. On the bright side the pillows were great and I never say that about a hotel. So, some pros and cons but overall nice hotel.

• Stayed August 2013
River Vale, NJ
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Very nice experience at a sleek, comfortable hotel in a great location. Good-sized room, nice amenities, attentive and friendly staff. Good restaurant with interesting outdoor area for relaxing. Appreciated the convenience of valet parking, though a bit pricey.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Hotel_Modera_GM, General Manager at Hotel Modera, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a great review of your stay! I’m very happy that you were comfortable during your stay with us, and found the staff friendly and the outdoor patio to your liking. We look forward to having you with us again!

Best Regards,
Desmond Mollendor
503.484.1084
San Francisco, California
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Stayed here for a long weekend in July. Easy access from the airport via light rail (1 transfer). Popular restaurant/bar in the hotel and plenty of great restaurants within 5 minutes walk. Short stroll to Portland State and very close to the 405 freeway if you're driving. Parking at the hotel is not free. The room was spacious, well-appointed and quiet. Lobby and restaurant/bar have mid-century hip decor that's well done.

Stayed over the weekend of the Portland International Beer Festival, which was an easy 10-12 block walk from the hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family