“Nice hotel but little storage space”
Review of Hotel Modera

Hotel Modera
Ranked #31 of 146 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed July 11, 2013

We enjoyed our stay at the Modera. Hotel itself is very nice, staff is attentive and friendly, adjoining restaurant is first class. While we didn’t have a problem with the room size, we do have a negative comment is about the storage space in the room. My wife, myself and our adult daughter stayed in a 2 double bed room for 4 nights. While there was plenty of room to place suitcases under a long table top, there was almost no storage space for clothes – only a relatively small two drawer chest between the two beds and the top shelf of a standard sized closet. So, we largely lived out of the suitcases.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (2,014)

Reviewed July 11, 2013

Absolutely love this place. This is the second time I've stayed here and service, quality is just as good as before. The staff is so friendly, efficient and make you feel special. It was even better this time, because of the weather. We were able to take advantage of the awesome outdoor patio at the attached restaurant, and enjoyed a glass of wine on a balmy night sitting around the fire pit. Location was so convenient. We walked everywhere, and the public transportation system was also available, but we never needed it.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Hotel_Modera_GM, General Manager at Hotel Modera, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Hotel Modera and thank you for sharing about your experience with TripAdvisor! I’m very happy to hear that you found our staff friendly, and you were able to enjoy a drink at Nel Centro! We look forward to having you with us again on your next trip to Portland!

Reviewed July 10, 2013

The Hotel Modera is a lovely hotel in the downtown area of Portland. The exterior of the hotel is pretty, as is the inside, and the room and bathroom are both a good size. I felt the staff was friendly and helpful as well. So why only 4 stars instead of 5? Well, that's for the location. This hotel is closer to office buildings and Portland State University, in what seemed to me to be a quieter part of town. That may be fine for some, but I wanted to be near local restaurants and retail stores. Those things were just further away than I felt like dealing with.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo

Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with Hotel Modera on your recent trip to Portland. I’m pleased that your guestroom was the right size, comfortable, and that our staff was friendly and helpful. I’m sorry that you weren’t completely satisfied with the location. We are great for business travelers and those looking for a quieter part of town. Thanks again! We look forward to having you with us on your next trip to Portland.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Design and decor is tres cool.
Staff is very attentive.
Restaurant is very good; with a nice happy hour.
Beds are extremely comfortable.
Good downtown location.
Only real drawback is the cramped rooms, especially if you have a double. Two people and one queen bed would probably be OK.

Room Tip: Avoid doubles; simply not enough room for more than one bed / two people.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Stayed here for first time was very impressed with rooms and service. Loved the outdoor fire pits for relaxing with a drink in the evening. Will definitely stay again. Staff was very helpful and informative with tourist attractions and travel lines.

• Stayed: June 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the great review! I’m thrilled you had a great time and will stay with us again! We certainly look forward to having you with us on your next trip to Portland!

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Girlfriend weekend enhanced by great customer service ... Nice restaurant. Jonny at front desk was particularly helpful. Comfy rooms. A little off the beaten path, though, and a little pricey. But the parking valet even got in the car to go over directions with us when we were leaving. They seemed to genuinely care about the customer. Off-site exercise And swim facility not always available as advertised.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Your stay begins as soon as your cab pulls up to the curb. The valet takes your bags, places them on a cart and escorts you to the front desk for check in. He waits patiently as you are given your card keys and then takes you to the elevator where he begins to introduce you to the Hotel Modera. Inside your room, he explains the electronic signals for privacy or room cleaning. Finally he warns you about the impossibly heavy door that slides over the closet and bathroom. A wonderful use of space I thought. Just watch you fingers and toes and you'll be fine. The hotel has big windows and my room faced an office building acroos the street so it would be great for travelling exhibitionists! I recommended this hotel to my 27yr. old nephew, he will love it.

Liked: Slow closing toilet(cool). Marble floors and tiles in bathrooms, good quality water, electronic do not disturb/privacy/housekeeping signs, good minibar snacks at reasonable prices, modern decor. Very good Italian/New American restaurant attached to hotel(El Centro). Across the street, food vendors serving delicoius thai, vietnamese and greek cuisine.

Dislikes:No microwave available so my food went bad (I hate that). Mini fridge was too small; there is too much good food in Portland not to bring back to the hotel.
Not enough drawers for my drawers. You might be uncomfortable staying more than 3-4 days.

Despite my dislikes this was my second favorite hotel that I have ever stayed in (Viceroy Miami #1) and would stay again...now if they would just let me use the firepits to heat up my leftovers.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo