“Hotel Modera is great choice in Portland!”
Review of Hotel Modera

Hotel Modera
Ranked #28 of 142 Hotels in Portland
MD
“Hotel Modera is great choice in Portland!”
Reviewed June 26, 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights just recently! It was everything the other advisors shared. Very conveniently located! Very helpful staff! Very comfortable beds and rooms! There is an excellent restaurant connected with the hotel that we used for breakfast serveral times. You can get anything from a la carte items which makes for an inexpensive but yummy breakfast.
We stayed here and used a combination of cabs and public transportation which were both inexpensive compared to the DC area! We also took two tours and were able to be picked up and returned to the hotel by the tour company. You really don't need a car here in Portland!

Room Tip: This is a city so there is some street noise hear in the room. We did not find this bothersome! If y...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank beachbums87

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (325)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Kirkland, Washington
Reviewed June 23, 2013

The boutique hotel is modern and chic in downtown Portland. Close to all the business, yet a fun and spunky hotel, especially in the evening on the large terrace with open firepits. Happy Hour was a blast!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Hotel_Modera_GM, General Manager at Hotel Modera, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Hotel Modera for your recent trip to Portland, and thank you for taking the time to leave a review. I am very pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay! We look forward to having you with us again on your next trip to Portland!

Portland, Oregon
Reviewed June 23, 2013

I have stayed in this hotel a number of times over the past few years including several just in the last 7 months. I love this place! It has a wonderful boutique designer feel leaning heavily to a mid-century modern aesthetic. The rooms are clean, comfortable and have great amenities. The staff are always extremely friendly and knowledgeable. If the weather is agreeable, the spacious fire pit area outside is a wonderful place to spend a little time in the evening. The value here overall is amazing compared to other hotels in the area offering a similar experience. The Modera is hands down my "go to" place when I am in Portland.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Tacoma, Washington
Reviewed June 23, 2013

I stayed at the Modera one night and found the beds comfortable and staff was very friendly but that was about it. For the price I was hoping for a bit more. My room was located above the courtyard and when I went to my room for the evening to relax I found I could clearly hear the guests talking who were dinning in the courtyard. At first I thought my window must be open but no, it was that I couldn't do anything to buffer the noise and closing the curtains didn't help. The hotel is busy on the weekend and you can basically hear everything including your neighbors.

I dined in the courtyard and the food was ok but one person in my group found hair in her food, yuk. Also they was only one server so service became very slow as it became busy. So try the courtyard restaurant for drinks but not diner.

The next morning I tried to iron something and the iron provided would not heat up and also leaked water on the dress I was attempting to iron. Very frustrating!!

Nice hotel, decent decor, but no privacy or quiet time.

Room Tip: Don't choose a room facing the courtyard!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank MBLACK65
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Hotel Modera on your recent trip to Portland. I am pleased that you found your bed comfortable and our staff friendly. However, it is with regret to learn that we did not exceed your expectations during your stay with us. This is not the common experience and I am sorry that we fell short with you.

We do partner with Nel Centro restaurant that leases the patio for restaurant patrons. While we cannot control the noise level of these guests, we do stop all music and turn down the patio music volume promptly at 10pm so that the noise transfer to guest rooms is minimal. I suspect you were on the lower level directly above some noisy patrons. I am sorry that you experienced some noise transference of their conversation to your guestroom.

It is also with regret to hear that your friend seemingly found hair in their food. While the Hotel Modera has no control over the food that is served by Nel Centro, we do stand by their quality and food handling practices. I know, as I‘m sure you do too, that it is not totally uncommon for hair to somehow find its way into food in any restaurant. For this I apologize. I assume that you brought this error to the attention of your server and that your food was re-prepared.

Thanks again for choosing Hotel Modera. I hope that this experience won’t keep you from staying with us again, and we hope you allow us the opportunity to show you what the common Hotel Modera experience is really like.

Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed June 19, 2013

I spent last week in downtown Portland and could not have been more pleased with the Hotel Modera. Clean, modern, quiet, good food, and the most friendly, knowledgeable staff - lots of suggestions of what to see and how to get there. They obviously loved their city as much as I did. This hotel is right on the transportation lines and is within easy walking distance of lots of good places to eat.

Room Tip: Ask for a City view -- wonderful view looking North into the City.
Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Hotel_Modera_GM, General Manager at Hotel Modera, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Hotel Modera on your recent trip to Portland and thank you for leaving this excellent review! We try our best to impress every guest that stays with us, and I’m thrilled that our efforts did not go unnoticed. I am very happy to hear that you found your guestroom clean and quiet, and our staff friendly and helpful. We look forward to having you with us again on your next trip to Portland.

Kapolei, Hawaii
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Very nice hotel! Clean, new, and very modern. Room was very comfortable. Excellent service and friendly employees. Nice bar/restaurant (Nel Centro) attached with fire pit outside. Easy to walk to restaurants. Public transportation close. When we go back to Portland, we'll stay here again. Mahalo!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Sacramento, CA
Reviewed June 6, 2013

This review of the Hotel Modera is a little overdue as it's my favorite hotel when my partner and I come to town to run in the Portland Marathon. The last time we stayed at the Hotel Modera was October, 2012, but we choose Hotel Modera every time we visit Portland. It's a perfect Marathon hotel (close to the Marathon Expo in a generic high rise hotel close to the Modera) and close to the start and finish of the Marathon. It's also a perfect hotel for exploring Portland...walking distance to Portland State (which has certainly changed since I graduated from there 25 years ago!), Downtown, Powell's Bookstore, The Pearl, the Food Trucks, Old Town and two blocks away from the MAX. If you're driving, the Modera is centrally located to all the freeways so you can access fun stuff in the Portland area. Super friendly staff, great lobby and room decor and the restaurant and bar on site is delicious. We'll be back for the Marathon!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Hotel_Modera_GM, General Manager at Hotel Modera, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with Hotel Modera and thank you for taking the time to review your stay! No excellent review is ever overdue! I am thrilled you found our location convenient and our staff friendly. We hope to have you with us again for the next Marathon!

503.484.1084