“Great Hotel in downtown Portland”
Review of Hotel Modera

Hotel Modera
Ranked #27 of 140 Hotels in Portland
Irvine, California
“Great Hotel in downtown Portland”
Reviewed April 20, 2013

We stayed at the Hotel Modera for a school visit in April of 2013. We picked the hotel because of its location near Portland State University and its high ratings in Tripadvisor. There are bus stops, the light rail (MAX) is northbound on one side of the hotel and southbound on the other side of the hotel. The buses, streetcars and MAX rail make it very easy to get around the city and you don't need to move your car. There are alot of restaurants shopping , food carts and things to see nearby the hotel as well. Remember this is a downtown and the city blocks are very short so if you like to walk things are not as far as you think.

Hotel
The Hotel lobby is very nice and comfortable. The check in personnel were great and helpful whenever we had a question about the town. Check in was fast. Note, the elevator requires the use of your room key so make sure you have it if you go down to the lobby. Parking was valet only and was $27 per night but there is unlimited in and out privileges and the valets were always timely and courteous. They even doubled as doormen.
We did not eat in the restaurant but it always seemed busy in the evening. It was very nice with a great courtyard sitting area with 3-4 fire pits that were activated every night. A large number of lounges and tables were in the courtyard. Note: Ice was in bags by the elevator and ice buckets were there as well in cabinets. Newspaper was at our door every morning.

Room
We had a dual queen on the 2nd floor facing 5th street. The room was a decent size and the bathroom appeared to have all new fixtures - very modern and contemporary. The only weird thing was the closet door doubled as the bathroom door. Kind of strange and it did not close all the way. HD channels and free wifi was nice. Room was always cleaned timely and was very comfortable. Suggestion is to get a higher room and face either the courtyard side or 6th street. The second floor facing 5th street - where we were was very noisy into the night and early in the morning with the sound of buses.

We saw alot of the other hotels listed here in Tripadvisor for Portland but this location was probably the best.

On our next visit we will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room up high either facing the courtyard or 6th street. Highest floors are the quietest.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (319)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
British Columba
Reviewed April 19, 2013 via mobile

We loved the decor in this totally modern hotel. The beds were VERY comfortable. Staff were very helpful. We totally enjoyed the outdoor bar area. It would be nicer to be a tad closer to downtown but walking was quite doable and various modes of public transit are close by. Bathrooms were lovely and we appreciated the bath products that were provided. We used room service and that worked out very well.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Hotel_Modera_GM, General Manager at Hotel Modera, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us on your recent trip to Portland, and thank you for taking the time to leave a great review. I’m very happy to learn that you found your bed comfortable, our staff helpful, and the patio at Nel Centro to your liking. We look forward to having you again soon!

Redmond, OR
Reviewed April 19, 2013

We've frequented the Modera on more than a few occasions. We found that though their prices might seem a wee but higher than surrounding hotels booked via Hotels.com, Tripadvisor etc many of which we've tried over the years, we always received the best night's sleep at the Modera.

Whether it was because of the location, of it being a well constructed hotel and therefore the silence, or what we discovered to be outstanding upscale Sealy Dynasty mattresses I cannot say, but every guest we had stay over made the same comment, they'd never received a better night's sleep at a hotel. In fact, for some, they don't receive as good a night's sleep at home.

During a stay in November 2012, when we'd come over to see a concert, we'd booked two rooms. When my guest and I met for breakfast, we were tired and sore. My guest asked me what was wrong, I told her I'd had an awful night's sleep and had to take back and pain pills which was surprising. She informed me she'd had a similar experience, but as she was my guest, she didn't want to complain. We both agreed it had to be the mattresses, and that the rooms looked a little worn.

I contacted the hotel's manager, Desmond, to let him know that he'd lost two guests and why. Having run a business before, I was always grateful to learn why somebody chose to go someplace else. I wasn't expecting anything in return to my response, just wanted to let him know the reason we were going to frequent another hotel.

Within a short time I was contacted by Desmond. He expressed his apology for our displeasure and said he'd look into it. Within a day to two he contacted me and said he'd like to keep our business if we'd give the hotel another chance. I thanked him but explained with the price of concerts these days, we wanted to know we'd wake up the next day happy and talking about the show, not complaining about how we felt.

A few months later, an artist we liked was coming to Portland. One of our party who hadn't been there in November requested the Modera. I nixed it and explained why. Our friend suggested we contact the Modera, let Desmond know we'd like to give them a second chance. Reluctantly I agreed to do so.

This April we attended the concert, and had two guests who'd never stayed at the Modera before. I decided not to say anything to them about our prior experiences and see how they felt the next morning. I knew my guest from November wouldn't be shy about any complaints she might have.

I'm happy to report that the next morning after the concert, the breakfast mood was upbeat, our new guests, without prompting, thanked me for the rooms and said they had the best night's sleep in years. My other guest was also happy and remarked how this was the Modera she was used to.

Now the staff at the Modera have always been top notch, which is why I haven't mentioned them before. Now, so as not to let you think I'm in the Modera's pocket, I'll give you a big caution. Don't eat dinner at the restaurant. The food is overpriced, the service slow, the portions small. However the breakfast is pretty good, though slightly higher priced than other places in close proximity.

In closing, I'll say this, I'll continue to frequent the Modera as long they continue to maintain the comfort and standard we've come to expect. Some places you return to because of sentiment. While almost trip I've made to Portland has been memorable, some attending concerts of people I love and never thought I'd get to see, I'm too old for sentiment.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
Reviewed April 19, 2013

We took advantage of the Hotel Modera's great online rates for our recent visit to Portland. We found the hotel to be very clean, modern and well-maintained. Though the immediate area lacks the hip neighborhood vibe that Portland is known for, it is centrally located and serves as a nice home base for exploring different areas. We were able to walk from the hotel to the downtown area, including the public library, powell's books and many of the downtown breweries (word of caution: we really like walking) and other neighborhoods in southwest Portland. Thanks to Portland's stellar public transportation system we were also able to easily access the neighborhoods on the eastern side of the river.

The staff at the Hotel Modera are incredibly helpful. We didn't come to Portland with much of a "to-do" list and they were more than happy to give us their insider recommendations. The hotel also gives you free access to a gym around the corner, which on weekend mornings was blissfully empty.

I recommend this hotel for someone who would like access to the downtown sights or for someone who doesn't have a particular neighborhood destination in mind.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a great review of your recent stay at Hotel Modera. I’m pleased that you found our Hotel to be very clean, modern and well-maintained. We strive daily to keep all areas of the Hotel in top form and I’m happy that you took notice of our efforts. I’m also very happy to hear you found our staff friendly, helpful! It is also good to hear that our location was convenient enough that you were able to visit some of Portland’s finest establishments for which we are best known for; books and beer!

Thanks again for the great review! We hope to have you stay with us again soon!

seattle
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Good, clean rooms, great, affordable (but still elegant) restaurant, friendly staff, wonderful location, lots of amenities: a really outstanding hotel.

One small gripe: No Comedy Central on the TV. I missed my Stewart/Colbert fix, especially because I wanted to see their coverage of the tragedy in Boston. But at least they had MSNBC.

Room Tip: courtyard side is better, but city side is perfectly fine
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed April 16, 2013

I stayed at Modera with 15 friends last weekend for my bachelor party and things couldn't have gone better. Staff was very friendly and helpful even though we were belligerent and coming in at all hours of the night. Location was good and hotel was modern and clean. We never ate at the restaurant but did drink at the bar and it was very nice. Any hotel that will put up with us is 5 stars in my book.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed April 9, 2013

I stayed here on business for a little over a week. It was very nice. The rooms are not huge, but plenty of space for just me. The decor is very modern, and the staff was very friendly. The bar downstairs, especially the patio, is a great place to grab a drink and unwind. The only thing to keep in mind is that there isn't a place to do laundry close by. So if you are staying for over a week, either bring enough clothes or stay somewhere else. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Hotel Modera on your recent trip to Portland, and thank you for taking the time to review your stay. I’m pleased to hear you found our décor modern and our staff friendly, and also that you were able to spend some time at Nel Centro. We look forward to having you again on your next trip to Portland.