“Best Portland hotel!”

Ranked #26 of 141 Hotels in Portland
Springfield, Oregon, United States
“Best Portland hotel!”
Reviewed January 26, 2013

It's the little things, and Hotel Modera does the little things in a big way. My first choice for a comfortable stay from now on!

All the staff were top notch, my room was lovely, and the valet parking was the fastest service of anywhere I have stayed. Right on the light rail makes shopping and dinner a quick commute, but the restaurant on site is also amazing.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Hotel_Modera_GM, General Manager at Hotel Modera, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with Hotel Modera, and thank you for the great review! I’m very happy to hear you found our staff accommodating, your guestroom lovely, and our location convenient. We look forward to having you with us again!

503-484-1084

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (322)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
SC
Reviewed January 22, 2013 via mobile

Friendly staff, they were helpful when I called prior to arriving. I loved the decor and overall style of the property and the location was perfect. We were able to walk every where we wanted to visit. Lots of good restaurants and shops near by. Didn't need a car, easy to get a shuttle from the airport right to the hotel. The outside patio area had fire pits at night which were a nice touch. Beautiful city even in the winter, looking forward to visiting again. Also really nice to have free wi-fi, can't believe some chains still charge for it.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Marshall, TX
Reviewed January 15, 2013

Small hotel that's big on style and accommodating a weary traveler checking in very late after a long flight. Also very helpful on my first visit to Portland, even lending a top notch umbrella. Right on the light rail and relatively close to good shopping and dining. In house restaurant a cut above most hotel dining. Ask to be placed on the west side of the hotel for a quieter room. I'll be back. Many good deals for some of the best prices in the city. Not the W, but certainly not the Sheraton.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the west side of the hotel.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Southern Oregon
Reviewed January 15, 2013

I stayed at the Hotel Modera for one night on business. It was very well appointed and I only wish I could have stayed at least another night, which I will get to do in a few weeks.
Hotel was exactly as expected. Great location and accessible to transportation. I had a great view of the courtyard though I am not sure I expected that with my room reservation type. Room was on the smaller side, but being in downtown Portland, how much time are you going to spend in your room.
Restaurant on site made fabulous food. I ordered room service for both dinner and breakfast. Breakfast was a little slow to arrive. The downside to room service is the lack of space to consume it in the room. There is a desk setup, but not the most comfortable dinning seating... Knowing what i know now I would just go down to the restaurant for breakfast in the morning.
My biggest issue was the coffee maker in the room. It is a little single cup system that failed to work correctly. I followed the instructions, hit go and not even half my cup filled with coffee. Very depressing. Luckily I knew the night before so I could order coffee with my breakfast in the morning, but sad when you really want that cup of joe to help get you going in the morning. Because it was one night, I didn't complain or notify the staff, but I am also not going to dock their rating for it either.
My most favorable thing about this hotel is they often advertise special rates directly on their website. With rates as low as $99/night in downtown it is hard to complain. Reviewers say parking is spendy...but that is not a variable I have to contend with when I stay.

Room Tip: Check their website for promotions and best pricing.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Hotel_Modera_GM, General Manager at Hotel Modera, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Hotel Modera on your recent trip to Portland, and thank you for taking the time to review your stay. I’m pleased to learn that you found the Hotel and onsite restaurant, Nel Centro, to your liking and anticipate a return trip in the coming weeks. We look forward to having you with us again!

Redmond, WA
Reviewed January 14, 2013

The hotel is in a great location, right next to the light rail and in the center of downtown. The decor is very stylish throughout the hotel, from the entrance hall to our room. The room is definitely on the small side, but sufficient room for our weekend stay as a couple. The bed is very comfortable, firm not too soft, and the faux fur blanket is really nice quality. The linen of bedding feels in nice quality as well. We also dined in the hotel restaurant one night, food was excellent and price is reasonable as well. The parking is $27 per day, not cheap, but reasonable comparing to the hotels also in the same location.

Unfortunately, with all the good things mentioned above, we really didn't sleep well for the two nights we stayed there. The first night our room is on the far end of "L" shape of hotel buildings to the street site. So the whole night we can hear Max (the lightrail) come and go, buses as well. After talking to the front desk next morning, we got switched to a room far away from the street without a question. That night we heard definitely less traffic noise (still some, but much better), but then woke up at 3 o'clock in the morning by some "activity" noise from the next room. Not sure if the head board of the bed was put against the wall too close, or the wall was too thin, anyway, couldn't fall back to sleep with the head-board-banging-wall-noise. Don't think I will stay there in the future just because of the noise, kind of a pity, because I do like everything else.

Room Tip: Hotel is in a "L" shape, with one leg of building sticking to the street and the other leg...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AdrianneLL
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Hotel Modera on your recent trip to Portland. I’m very happy to learn you found our location convenient, the bed comfortable, and the restaurant and décor to your liking. However, I’m sorry to hear that you experienced some noise transference during your stay. I’m glad to know that the staff was accommodating and switched you to a room further from the street after your first night, but I wish you would have given us the opportunity to call and quiet your amorous neighbors as well. Guest comfort and restful sleep is our top priority and we prefer to stay informed of any noise issues so that we can do our best to diffuse any noise issues that arise because of guest activity. While you noted that you will likely not stay with us again, I hope that you may reconsider given the positive aspects of your stay.

Santa Monica, California
Reviewed January 14, 2013

A very, very nice hotel. Small, great service, very comfortable rooms and the restaurant is quite good as well. Free WIFI and Business Center. I spent 3 nights here on business and was very happy I didn't select one of the big downtown hotels. It is the slow season and I hit it right as the room was $119.00 a night - a real bargain. I have never been in downtown Portland and have to say I was surprised how quiet it was especially on the weekend. I was close to giving Modera 5 stars but didn't because 1) I am probably a little grumpy this morning for no reason related to the Modera and 2) little things like no fitness center - you have access to a 24 Hour Fitness at no charge and walk a few blocks and some of the other little "touches" like soft towels..........but minor (meaningless?) criticisms - this place is great.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Reno, Nevada
Reviewed January 11, 2013

This hotel is a gem. We visited the day before our stay just to see the property and Diana at the front desk remembered us and was just a delight. Everything from our spacious accommodations, to the welcome snack in our room was just great. Our porter, Church, also was awesome and even thoughtfully filled our ice bucket before we got to the room. We are also looking forward to a meal at the hotel's restaurant, Nel Centro, where the menu looks yummy! Free wi-fi, great location and a great staff. What more could we ask for?

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple