“Cramped, overall okay”

Ranked #26 of 142 Hotels in Portland
Santa Rosa, California
“Cramped, overall okay”
Reviewed July 24, 2012

We stayed at the Modera for three nights. I'll agree with the BerryShari's review, the hotel is chic to the point of non-functional. We needed a room that slept four, so we needed a hotel with two queen beds. Not too many options from what I saw, so based on reviews, I chose the Modera.

The rooms are nice, but they are not functional at all. There is absolutely no place to put your belongings. We had a family of four, two teenagers included. Due to the fact, one of my daughters and I were staying in Oregon longer, we had four suitcases in tow. There is only one small nightstand to put clothes in. There is a small closet, but the door also doubles as the bathroom door (slider), so it wasn't really an option to place clothing. So we had four suitcases stacked up around the room, limiting the size of the already cramped room. There were also only a couple outlets around the room. Bad for trying to keep all our electronics in use or charged up. Room decor was nice, but like I said...it just wasn't functional for more than two people. Beds were very comfortable and we didn't hear any noise.

Gotta love the staff. They're all dressed up in black turtlenecks. Kind of weird, imagine all the women looking like the background girls in the Robert Palmer; "Addicted to Love" video. The guys; Shania Twain's "Man I Feel Like a Woman" video. If that's the look they're going for, then the nailed it. Staff was very helpful though. They arranged for a shuttle for my wife and daughter to get picked up so they could get a ride to airport.

Location was great. Light rail lines were around the hotel, so it was easy to get closer to downtown action, but the walk wasn't too far either. Nice business center so we could print out boarding passes. There were also Apple desktops in the lobby to use if needed. The attached restaurant was fine. Just had drinks and dessert one night. Added costs sucked, valet parking was expensive.

We were in Portland during the great E.Coli breakout of 2012. Staff seemed a little slow getting the word out, that we shouldn't use the water. We stopped by the hotel for a quick break and drop off some items and use the water in the room. The alert/warning was already issued, although we didn't know it. We thought it was weird all the fountains downtown were shut off. No notices around the hotel to avoid using the water in our rooms in the early PM. Later in the afternoon, the notices finally showed up. There were no phone message alerts, just some posts around the hotel. At least they didn't charge us for the water that was in the mini-fridge we were forced to use. If you had your head in the sand for the day, you might not have known there was an issue w/ the city water.

Overall, I wouldn't stay here again. If we were with family, we'd probably look elsewhere. Decent stay, just not too functional for the family.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Eric M
Hotel_Modera_GM, General Manager at Hotel Modera, responded to this review, July 26, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Hotel Modera on your recent trip to Portland. I am pleased to know that you found our location convenient, our staff helpful, and our business center exceptional.
I’m sorry to hear you felt a little cramped in our rooms. We do provide closet and drawer space in all of our guestrooms which adequately accommodates a reasonable amount of luggage for up to two adults and two children. Knowing that your family was made up of two adults and two teenagers with extra luggage, it is likely that reserving only one room in most hotels would not have been sufficient.

It is with regret that the City of Portland experienced some water contamination issues during the time of your visit. I do not want you to think that we leisurely took our time informing our guests of this issue. Notices were given and placed throughout the entire hotel within minutes of us learning about this issue. We take matters concerning our guests’ safety very seriously and as an up-most priority.

503-484-1084

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (322)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Houston, Texas
Reviewed July 24, 2012

Hotel room was small but comfy. If you get a 2nd floor room, make sure it's not located next to the kitchen's vent below, or it will smell like someone is constantly eating grilled food in there. Room service stops at 10, unfortunately. Staff were very nice, though, and the internet is free.

Room Tip: If you get a 2nd floor room, make sure it's not located next to the kitchen's vent below, or...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Edward C
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Hotel Modera on your recent trip to Portland. I’m happy to hear you found our staff friendly, the room comfortable and enjoyed our complimentary WiFi. While your room is in the same general location as the restaurant venting, I am sorry you were able to smell food aromas from in your room. In order to avoid this in the future, please notify the hotel of your room preferences while making your reservation or at check-in. This will assist us in getting you into a room that best suites your needs.

Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed July 24, 2012

Very nice room and very polite reception.
We had to wait 15' for our room and in compensation we were given a suite!
Highly recommended!
Location is very good. You can walk the city from there.
Could not use the pool but it seemed very tempting.
Would go back if I had to go to Portland for pleasure or work!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Corvallis, Oregon
Reviewed July 24, 2012

I recently visited Portland to attend a play at Keller Auditorium. The Hotel Modera was within walking distance, so even though I had never stayed there before I booked a reservation due to location. Plus, I had read reviews on Trip Advisors and most seemed positive. The Hotel is modern, clean and well decorated. The staff is attentive and very friendly. On the negative side, the rooms are a little small and the hotel really needs to put more insulation in the walls. We could hear everything coming from the room next door, including slamming of doors when they returned at 2:00 am. There was also a drinking water issue in Portland while we were there and everyone on the west side was asked to boil their drinking water. You would think that in this situation the hotel would offer free bottled water to everyone staying there. But no, we were charged for bottled water. Come on Hotel Modera - really?

I will say that the restaurant attached to the hotel is amazing - Nel Centro. Great Italian with homemade pasta. They also have a beautiful outdoor patio space. Perfect place to end the day with a glass of wine.

Room Tip: Rooms with patio view are slightly quieter.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with Hotel Modera on your most recent trip to Portland. I’m happy to hear you found the hotel clean and the décor to your liking, and that our staff was friendly and accommodating. I am also pleased to know that you enjoyed the food and patio space at Nel Centro.

It is with regret that the City of Portland experienced some water contamination issues during the time of your visit. While this issue was out of our control, we happily offered the bottles of water in each guestroom free of charge to our guests. However, the bottled water sold in our lobby’s Sundry Shop was not offered complimentary.

Thanks again for choosing Hotel Modera. Please keep us in mind for future trips to Portland.

Long Beach, Washington
Reviewed July 23, 2012

Hotel Modera has exceeded expectations EVERY time I stay with them. From the moment you arrive and interact with the valet parking attendants to the front desk staff who help you with anything you need, I love every moment I'm at Modera. The rooms are incredibly comfortable, impeccably clean and plush, and amenities are outstanding. I'm hard pressed to stay anywhere else when I visit Portland! The restaurant has an amazing happy hour and awesome fire pits at night-What can I say...I'm always bummed I have to check out and can't wait to return:) Fabulous place!

Room Tip: Love the deluxe king rooms! But I imagine every room is amazing!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank MChristianson
san fernando valley, ca
Reviewed July 21, 2012

ok... we stayed here for nearly a week on the recommendation by friends. the restaurant was nice, the lobby open and spacious. in my mind, i see top rated by Conde Nast, luxury accommodations and i am ready. but it was disappointing. MODERA = ultra modern to the point of near non functionality and discomfort. king bed took up nearly all the space of the king city view room. called downstairs when i couldn't find the drawers. GUESS WHAT? there are none! unless you count the 18 inch wide slip of a drawer in the bedside stand. "ultra cool" pocket doors are slick and great until you attempt to actually slide them to close. What's a gash in your finger worth anyway on today's market? took 5 calls to the front desk and manager on duty to have something done about the broken air conditioning unit which the guy fixed and fixed and finally decided it needed replacing the next day. oh, did i mention there was a heat wave in portland during our stay?!so after an exhausting first day, i took a shower, barely even noticed the low water pressure, or was too tired to care, climbed into bed, (in a still, hot room), tried fluffing the pillows ( mental note to request foam ones tomorrow from housekeeping) and closed my eyes. GOOD G-D! no, it wasn't. WAS IT? i called downstairs to speak with the night manager and asked her if there was a generator or air conditioning compressor on the roof? silence was her answer. then she said said "i'm not sure", then i asked how many floors were in the hotel? she replied "5". I then said," there is a generator or compressor over my room, isn't there? she finally said "YES". i said i was done with this room. she said the hotel was booked all week long. well..... in less than a breath and a half...she found a perfectly nice suite down the hall...without generators and compressors above it on the roof. i said i would move first thing in the morning. ( at this point, even david letterman had gone to sleep). come morning...there was no one to help me move my things...i guess offering a porter or bellman or someone from housekeeping to assist with luggage is " too retro". so i moved my belongings piecemeal from the hot and noisy room to my new spacious suite . luckily, i pack my things in ziplock bags so there was not a chance for a trail of underpants for anyone to follow!
the rest is history, more or less. the bathroom needed cleaning as it was dusty and a bit untidy. so i let them know. ;) oh yes..... the biggest perk of switching rooms was that i finally had some drawers. imagine that. to be fair, the manager did the right thing by the upgrade. she also took off a few bucks for each night's stay. not a big deal. no fruit basket, no drink on the house...nothing without me asking. so my dear fellow travelers..... you are warned.... if you should venture portland's way.... and stay at the MODERA, and i'm sure may of you will, because Conde Nast says so or your too hip and swanky pals make you stay there...be sure to pack light ( no drawers), bring a fan ( broken air conditioning) and get ready to carry your own luggage baby....because that is how they roll in portland. travel safe!

Room Tip: read my review!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank berryshari
Hotel_Modera_GM, General Manager at Hotel Modera, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Hotel Modera on your recent trip to Portland. It is with regret that I hear you encountered some difficulty during your stay. Your experience with us is not a common one and I am deeply sorry you left feeling dissatisfied.

I have spoken to the staff and am pleased to hear they were able to upgrade you to a Modera Suite for the remainder of your stay and that this room suited your needs.

503.484.1084
Lewiston, Idaho
Reviewed July 17, 2012

As a regular Portland traveler I have stayed at many downtown hotels. I gave the Hotel Modera a try for a week long business trip and was very impressed. It's modern and trendy without being stuffy. The service and staff were amazing.The room was clean, the bed was very comfortable and the amenities were outstanding. You couldn't ask for a better location. Walking distance to shopping wins for me every time! I also used the guest passes available at the front counter for 24 Hour Fitness, and while not my favorite gym chain,I liked the accessability and having access to a full gym. I will definitely stay here again and again and would recommend the hotel to anyone!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business