Hotel Modera
Travelocity
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
2,033 results
All reviewshour fitnessnel centro restaurantfaux furkeller auditoriumdays innvalet parkingcloset doorportland state universityhappy hourfront desk staffrestaurant downstairsmodern hotelfarmers marketrooms are smallfew blockshotel restaurantvalet service
Reviewed July 19, 2011

My husband, teenage daughter and I loved our recent stay at this hotel. The bartender confirmed it had been a Days Inn in a previous life, but it has truly grown up! The rooms are boxy but very stylish and comfortable. The happy hour scene is lively and the restaurant excellent. Plus the service, from front desk staff to car valet, was friendly, helpful and efficient. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed July 19, 2011

If you have read my previous reviews, you'd know how hard I can be on hotels and I don't give five stars rating to just about anyone. But I cannot find fault in this hotel whatsoever, from the start till the end, it was an excellent experience. For that, Hotel Modera deserves the five stars in my book1

We recently relocated from CA to OR and had to make the drive from Southern CA to OR. Think a trunk filled with suitcases, 27" iMac, and some important items and docs we carried with us as opposed to having the movers handle. So, safety becomes our number one priority when choosing a hotel to stay overnight before our new home becomes available for move in.

To be honest, my first thought was to stay in the Vintage Plaza (Kimpton) again, but upon reviewing some Tripadvisor reviews here, I found the availability of the General Manager very intriguing. Not really expecting an answer, I emailed him with a few questions regarding the safety of the hotel and general customer service (remember, since we're relocating, w'd e have a lot of stuff with us, so it was very important for us to get help when arriving). In less than 24 hours, I received a reply from Desmond himself. Honestly, that was really the reason why we booked. If a General Manager himself would take time out of his busy day to answer questions from potential clients, I could only imagine the customer service they would provide at this hotel.

I am happily to report that our stay was very pleasant. Customer service was top notch as I was expecting. From the time we checked in till we checked out, we were treated like valued clients. I've personally only experienced such level of service at a very select few Four Seasons hotels, which is expected considering how much $$ you pay to stay there.

Room:
We elected the smallest room since we were only staying for one night. It's a good size for a city hotel. Not big, but not too small. I absolutely adore everything about the room. From the decoration, to the bed to the bathroom, everything is perfect. Very simple, yet modern! The bed is comfortable, the pillows are perfect, just fluffy enough for a good night sleep. I especially love the bathroom.

Price: There's no other way to describe it, except "bangs for your bucks." It's very reasonably priced and you definitely get a lot for your $$.

Safety: since I've mentioned the important of safety for us during this stay, I'm happy to report that whatever suitcases we didn't bring to the room with us were in perfect condition in our car the next day. The Mr. did ask the car to be parked up front so any weird movements could be caught by the valet, should anything were to sniff around the car.

Fitness: We didn't have a chance to visit, but hotel guests can use the 24 h4 fitness facility nearby.

Parking: Honestly, for people who complained about parking, Portland is a city! Sure, it's not a huge city, but trying to find a hotel that doesn't charge you in a city is like trying to find a needle in a haystack. I believe the summer rate is $27, which is competitive. They state the rate clearly on their Web site, so it's not like they just spring it on you when you check out.

Public space: love love love the courtyard and the couches. Simple, but modern.

Customer Service: I've touched on this a bit above, and I'll mention this again, other hotels really need to take notes on how to train their employees. Every single person here seemed to be generally happy to assist, seemed very happy to be part of the Modera family. We were greeted by a nice hand written note from Desmond and a complimentary bottle of wine, which was a very nice surprise and greatly appreciated esp. after a long drive.

I can honestly say that this is probably my favorite hotel in Portland. I will highly recommend this hotel when friends and relatives are visiting.

1  Thank SnowPrincess1206
Hotel_Modera_GM, General Manager at Hotel Modera, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2011

Dear Guests from Orange County,

Thanks again for choosing Hotel Modera. I am pleased to hear that your stay was comfortable and our staff was accommodating. I truly appreciate the excellent thorough review! It is this type of feedback that confirms all of our efforts are indeed working and that the guest experience is better for it. When you find a need to stay downtown again, whether for yourself, family or friends, I invite you to contact me directly as I would be happy to assist with your reservations personally.

Desmond Mollendor
503.484.1084

Reviewed July 19, 2011

The makeover of a 50s motel is so complete it is hard to recognize the building's roots! Service was cordial and professional. Room was clean and functional. Art in lobby and halls is not the usual boring stuff. Restaurant was exceptionally good for a hotel, I would go there even if not staying there. The outside dining area was a special treat. The $20 valet parking fee is a bit stiff, but apparently common for Portland. All in all a treat.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 17, 2011

My husband and I have stayed at this hotel's sister property in Seattle a couple of times and been very impressed, so when we had an overnight stay in Portland, we decided to give the Hotel Modera a try, and we were so glad that we did! The hotel decor is clean, modern and sophisticated, yet does not feel "snooty" . The front desk staff and the valets were great, and very friendly. They offered us a walking map of downtown Portland and gave us tips and suggestions of things that we might want to check out, and places to eat.. We enjoyed "happy hour" in the hotel restaurant. They have a great outdoor lounge area . This is obviously a very popular place for happy hour because it was very busy, and full of local office workers, even on a Tuesday! The room was clean, spacious and stylish. The bed was so comfortable! . We had a "city view" room, but were not bothered by traffic noise, except the occasional siren. I liked the fact that
they allowed us to keep our car there until 4:00 pm, even after we had checked out, giving us a little more time to explore the downtown area on foot. We were very pleased with our stay and would definitely stay here again next tine we are in Portland.

2  Thank missyblue42
Reviewed July 12, 2011

My husband has stayed at the Hotel Modera for business several times of late, and planned a stay for he and I to celebrate our wedding anniversary on this occasion. I was so impressed by the attentive service from every single staff member, from valet, to front desk, to housekeeping, and servers. Bottle of chilled wine in the room waiting for us. Bed was very comfortable and toiletries furnished were lovely. Room was small, but outfitted nicely and the price is amazing. The outdoor space is beautiful and we enjoyed a delicious happy hour cocktail. Easy walk to riverfront and downtown shopping. Very cool, modern and luxurious boutique hotel. Hands-down my favorite lodging in downtown Portland...we'll be back!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Hotel_Modera_GM, General Manager at Hotel Modera, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2011

Dear Guests from Silverdale,

Thank you for choosing Hotel Modera on your recent trip to Portland! We are very happy to hear that we have been your husband’s Portland hotel of choice while in town for business, and we are glad to have had you with us during your anniversary! I’m pleased to hear that your stay was comfortable and your experience enjoyable. We hope to have you with us again!

Desmond Mollendor