“A "must" in Portland”

Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Boulder, CO
“A "must" in Portland”
Reviewed October 2, 2013

Norma's Kitchen is a tiny place with a few tables and a counter overlooking a marina on the Columbia River on one side and a couple more tables outside on a patio on the street side. Its a short walk --about two blocks -- from both the Red Lion and Oxford Suites hotels.

I was lucky enough to eat there twice during a recent trip to Portland. One evening I had the jambalaya, cole slaw and corn bread; the next I had the highly-rated pulled pork sandwich with collard and spicy mustard greens (just because I had never had mustard greens before) and corn salad. And bottles of ice cold beer with a paper napkin wrapped around the bottle to soak up condensation.

New Orleans is one of my favorite cities for food but I must say Norma's Kitchen is not a shrine to Cajun cooking. Rather, it is a down-home friendly place like your parents' or grandparents' kitchen. The atmosphere is one of love and friendship and good conversation.

Don't be put off by the big plastic trash bin with the "Cajun Dishwasher" sign; the dinnerware may be disposable plastic (there really isn't enough room in Norma's for a big commercial washer) but the food is worthy of quality china and silverware.

My only regret is that I did not have time for another meal at Norma's. I can tell you that if Norma's had a location in my food-oriented home town (I wish!), it would be a smash. I'll be back!

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank CocZamudio

Chicago
“Don't Miss It”
Reviewed August 19, 2013

This place is worth a trip. Luckily it was a one minute walk from our hotel. This is a cute little place with outstanding food. We spent a lovely summer night sitting outside with some wine and great cajun food listening to live jazz. Doesn't get much better than that. The service was good but once we got our food they seemed to forget we were there. It would be nice if they checked with us even once but maybe it was a busier night than usual. Don't let that deter you from going. This place is great and not expensive at all. I look forward to going back on my next trip to Portland.

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank fishyflier
Istanbul, Turkey
“My first ever Gumbo”
Reviewed June 26, 2013

I was taken here on a whim for a quick lunch. Being British i've never experienced what a true Cajun kitchen should be so i'm not going to comment on it's authenticity. I will say the place is small and oldish however I think this adds to it's ambience. The menu is small which i'm a fan of, a few things done well rather than a big menu done averagely.

We were offered a sample of the pulled pork which was delicious and upon hearing that I was unsure what a Gumbo was the server insisted on me having a sample of this too. 3 of us shared a small pot of the Gumbo as a starter, the other 2 went for the pulled pork Sandwich whilst i couldn't resist the ribs. The ribs were great and served alongside 2 sides, I chose corn bread and rice/beans, i also stole a little of the collard greens from my eating companion.

I enjoyed everything i ate, ther service was quaint and fantastic. Upon hearing that Saturday nights are live Jazz with BBQ Catfish i think i'll try another visit.

Istanbul, Turkey
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great little jewel”
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Tons of charm, delicious pulled pork, amazing gumbo, and Jewel was such a charming hostess. Small menu but full of flavor. Would love to go back on Friday or Saturday for the live music and catfish!

“Creole and Cajun”
Reviewed June 14, 2013

We had a very good meal overlooking the water at Jantzen Beach. Menu is limited, but it is good Louisiana food. I don't usually order catfish, but it is their Friday and Saturday special. I found it to be very good with a good dipping sauce. My sides of choice were collard greens, also something I would not order at most restaurants, and an excellent corn bread. We don't intend to wait so long before returning here to eat.