“I Always Go Back”

Ranked #11 of 127 Dessert in Portland
Neighborhood: Downtown
Neighborhood: Downtown
Reviewed June 24, 2014

I have tried chocolate from all over and all over the world and this is bar none (no pun intended) one of my favorite places. Not only can you get divine drinking chocolate in normal or shot sizes (my favorite being the cinnamon milk chocolate though my friend swears by their spicy dark chocolate), their selection of good chocolate that I can't find anywhere keeps me coming back. One of my absolute faves is the salty-sweet hazelnut bittersweet chocolate bar that they sometimes run out of because it is so popular. Really, I've just never been the same since I became one of their customers. Even my husband who doesn't even like chocolate has a favorite that I can only find there -- dark chocolate covered toffee. I'm sure I'll be a customer for life. Oh. They also have coffee but I've never ordered anything but the chocolate.

1  Thank Renae H

Reviewed May 30, 2014 via mobile

I was really disappointed. Lots of what they sold was over priced and found elsewhere cheeper. Dont get me wrong it was a cute place and all but I would rather go to godiva or schocolate in leavenworth. So many specialty chocolate places in the world and this just wasnt anything special.

1  Thank Sonya H
Reviewed May 23, 2014

We spotted Cacao while walking near the Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall (the one with the Portland sign). This tiny little shop has an amazing inventory of different gourmet chocolates from around the world, including a nice collection of local artisan chocolates- like Xocolatl De David who make a tiny, yet decadent, Raleigh Bar that combines pecans, nougat, & bacon caramel or Cocanu Chocolate whose funky creations combine fine dark chocolate with unusual ingredients like fernet, bee pollen, and pop rock candy (not all in the same bar). They also have a nice menu of drinking chocolate with something to suit everyone's taste- sweet, spicy, bittersweet. We tried a cup of the dark drinking chocolate. It was divine! Rich, silky, chocolatey, and not too sweet- a warm little cup of happiness. Love, love, LOVE!

Reviewed May 13, 2014

This place has some fun flavors of "drinking chocolate". There are many to choose from and they vary greatly. If you love chocolate, this place is for you.

Reviewed May 11, 2014

Would you believe a little shop for chocolate lovers that sells very little other than many different kinds of chocolate delicacies? A wide variety of Chocolate drinks too. It was a special Mothers Day treat to go there to enjoy some of the special offerings. Can't wait to take new friends there soon.

Been to Cacao? Share your experiences!